RE: [BCD396XT] Re: Fried It I think

  • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
      At 06:19 AM 10/10/2012, you wrote:
      >I'm guessing the problem isn't with the grounding of the speaker but more
      >likely something else since the message comes up saying the voltage is too
      >high (or too low?). Grounding everything together is typically not a bad
      >idea but grounding a speaker wire is typically not done on purpose.

      If the audio output stage uses a bridged output stage (a common way
      to increase output power on a limited DC supply voltage), then
      connecting one side of the speaker to ground will put one of the
      halves of the audio amp across the DC supply, putting stress on that
      output transistor and any voltage regulators in circuit. Another
      potential issue is if voltage regulation takes place on the negative
      side of the supply. In this case, you'd short out the regulator
      and expose the radio to overvoltage.

      73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
      http://vkradio.com
    • Alex
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 21, 2012

        > Scott,
        >
        > Can you power the radio up on Alkaline Batteries, no external power source?
        >
        > Illegal Voltage means the source voltage your using is too high...

        "Illegal voltage" will also be displayed if the voltage is too low (I think it appears around 5.0 V, it happens a lot when I power from an external battery that has run low.)