Re: [BCD396XT] more operational mishaps ...

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
      Sound like you might want to add a GPS to your setup. That way, it could
      enable/disable things without any user input to enable/disable them.

      Joe M.

    • Doug Johnson
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
        Gidday Guy,

        You should try your hand at novel writing

        Regards,

        Doug VK2XLJ

        To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
        From: accts@...
        Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 06:25:06 +0000
        Subject: [BCD396XT] Re: more operational mishaps ...

        wow! so much for using the 'rich text editor', it scrambled up my post to a fare-thee-well. i assure you, it looked much much better on my screen when i hit the |send| key.

        i just wanted to add that i mean no criticism of paul or uniden when i say i'm having trouble operating this scanner. i guess i make it sound like a big deal because i've been a 'gadget guy' all my life--people used to come to me to program their casio watches way back when 'cause i was the only one able to figure it out for nearly any model.

        so, losing the battle over knowing how to operate a gadget is an anomaly for me, but the bcd396xt is not unique in that regard, although rare. for one example, the yaesu vx7r (which is still in a bag somewhere in my house--lost but not mourned-- and non-operational defeated me. there were too many disparate functions assigned to too few keys. and i wasn't alone, people started putting out users guides and i remember carrying one around in my shirt pocket that was 84 pages! and that was the 'quickref' guide! and it wasn't just me--this radio alone was famous for defeated seniors with weak eyes and failing memories such as me.

        but the yaesu is just one of a handful of comparable radios--it's not like i _had_ to learn it or go without. i just picked up a kenwood th-f6a last week and although it's the first kenwood i've ever owned or used, i took one trip through the less-than-50-page manual and then did about 20 minutes of programming and i feel like i can understand and make use of about 90-95% of the capability of this radio despite it having nearly as many functions and features as the yaesu. the difference has to be in the philosophy of the user interface since the size and layout is essentially the same between the two radios with the exception of kenwood adding a handy 4-way 'mouse' button. and yaesu is not the only 'sinner' in this regards. some of the aor and icom models are not the easiest to use either, making kenwood's accomplishment all the more remarkable.

        but the bcd396 is different in that it is a brilliant brilliant engineering accomplishment and up until perhaps a couple of years ago there's been nothing remotely close to compare it to or to go buy if you couldn't deal with the uniden. and i haven't seen any of the gre or ratshack scanners, but ratshack has a long and deep reputation for having some of the most user-unfriendly and buggy user-interfaces going. i have never been truly happy with anything whatsoever i've purchased from them--it's nearly always been a case of needing something too badly and they happen to have it. but, i take that back. my radioshack race and 800mhz antennas are outstanding. but i've bought hundreds of feet of bad rg58 and pl259 connectors from them. anyway, i digress ... .

        so i keep hammering away at the 396t and xt because they are brilliant. but i think it's apparent that i'm one of the ones that just can't grok the paradigm of any logic the user commands represent. i have a digital audio recorder which is much the same with about 4 functions for each key depending on how, how much, and when and what mode you press the key. but an audio recorder has an order-of-magnitude less functions and operations than this scanner and it's manageable though irritating and necessitates repeat visits to the manual to bump the memory.

        /guy (73 de kg5vt | wqpz784)

        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "gteague" <accts@...> wrote:

> [...]

        > issued from hold.

        > but in any case, the biblical way of doing it listed above is, imho, way

        > too dangerous to attempt in a car moving at very (in my case) high speed

        > through traffic. especially with a handheld if you have to fumble around

        > with dismounting it to be able to manipulate it two-handed in that way,

        > although i feel uniquely qualified to drive in this manner ever since i

        > learned to drive solely with my private part from the neapolitans when i

        > was stationed in italy as they have to have both hands free of the wheel

        > to express their opinion of everyone else's [bad] driving.

        > and i guess the lesson learned from this 'frogs wild ride' is to make

        > sure you have every system and group you need activated before you start

        > your car and if you need to de-activate a group while on the road, live

      • Guy Teague
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
          one year in the heat and flies of wa (navcommsta harold e holt @exmouth)
          addled me, mate. ain't been same since ... [g]

          /guy (73 de kg5vt | wqpz784)

        • Frank Calabrese
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
            That's WA as in Western Australia - Not Washington

            Frank - a Sandgroper :-)

            > You should try your hand at novel writing
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Doug VK2XLJ

          • Eric Knippert
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
              On 10/9/2012 6:18 PM, Frank Calabrese wrote:

              > That's WA as in Western Australia - Not Washington

              Otherwise known as W.A.
            • alan
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 10, 2012
                On Wed 10-Oct-2012 12:18 PM, Frank Calabrese wrote:

                > That's WA as in Western Australia - Not Washington
                >
                > Frank - a Sandgroper :-)

                What are you doing over here Frank? I thought you were
                more into politics :)
                Small world; it sure is
                UBCD 396XT user
              • Frank Calabrese
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 10, 2012
                  On Wed 10-Oct-2012 12:18 PM, Frank Calabrese wrote:

                  > That's WA as in Western Australia - Not Washington
                  >
                  > Frank - a Sandgroper :-)

                  Multitasking - and the two can co-exsist during live telecasts :-) especially the IFB frequencies :_)

                  Frank