Re: [BCD396XT] Fried It I think

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2012
      Scott,

      Can you power the radio up on Alkaline Batteries, no external power source?

      Illegal Voltage means the source voltage your using is too high...

      On Oct 6, 2012, at 4:22 PM, Scott wrote:

      > OK, so despite the ever so clear warning about connecting the grounds on the earphone jack and the chassis ground, I did what any good ham would do to eliminate a ground-loop hum -- grounded the whole thing, including my audio hardware (yep, and the earphone jack) to a common ground.
      >
      > Well now I've damaged the radio and cannot power it externally or charge the batteries through the radio. I think I may have damaged the voltage regulator.
      >
      > When I hook up external power, it takes quite a long time to do anything, but eventually a message comes up that says "illegal voltage".
      >
      > Obviously, something is amiss here.
      >
      > Two questions:
      >
      > 1. Why is it wired that way? You might imagine someone would tie the grounds together.
      > 2. What would the repair cost?
      >
      > Scott

    • radioboy75
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 7, 2012
        Yes, batteries work fine.

        I'm pretty sure I tried it on the cigarette lighter adapter too with the same results.

        If I didn't I should try that.

        I should have mentioned that I did put the power supply on the multimeter, and it's putting out the appropriate voltage . . .

        SVA
      • radioboy75
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7, 2012
          I realize you said it was a rhetorical question, but I had to respond here.

          I guess I would connect it that way because it was my understanding that it IS ground.

          Doesn't the black wire on a speaker indicate "ground" and the red, "signal"?

          Apparently not . . .

          Some lessons you learn the hard way . . .

          I wish I was more informed about that sort of thing. It doesn't appear to be common knowledge . . .

          Perhaps UPman could explain what I did and why I shouldn't do it.

          SVA
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 7, 2012
            If you will only accept an answer from UPMan, that is fine. But, I will
            tell you that you shorted one side of the speaker to ground and
            increased the load on the audio amp. Again, if you don't want to believe
            me that is fine.

            I will let you know that many radios do not use speakers that are
            grounded on one side. It may not be common knowledge, but it should be.
            Never assume anything about radio design.

            As for speakers, the colors can be anything the manufacturer puts in
            them. It's usually what is supplied by the speaker manufacturer (who has
            no idea what they are being connected to). I've seen black/red, two
            blacks, two whites, two greys, yellow/gray, Etc. Sometimes one side of
            the speaker was grounded. Often, it is not.

            Why didn't you use a meter to check the voltages between the points you
            were connecting? (often if there is a voltage difference it's not a good
            idea to connect those points)

            Here is one more common error that ill-informed people do: They connect
            the ground side of a mobile radio to the battery. NEVER do that. I had a
            competitor install a commercial two-way radio in a vehicle this way. The
            vehicle lost the ground between the chassis and the battery. Guess where
            ALL the starting current went; Right through the radio's ground wire
            which was the only path left. It literally fried the radio and they are
            lucky they didn't burn the vehicle up. Just another one of those things
            that should be common knowledge, but isn't. Some will say if you fuse
            that like, it makes it OK. It still isn't OK. Just connect the ground
            side of the radio to the chassis.

            I know none of this does you any good at this point, but maybe it will
            help the next person. When in doubt, ask first. I'm pretty sure the
            manual does say to not ground the speaker.

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 7, 2012
              I believe 6 volts is max for the input...

              On Oct 7, 2012, at 2:56 PM, radioboy75 wrote:

              > Yes, batteries work fine.
              >
              > I'm pretty sure I tried it on the cigarette lighter adapter too with the same results.
              >
              > If I didn't I should try that.
              >
              > I should have mentioned that I did put the power supply on the multimeter, and it's putting out the appropriate voltage . . .
              >
              > SVA

            • Michael Hopkins
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                I'm guessing the problem isn't with the grounding of the speaker but more
                likely something else since the message comes up saying the voltage is too
                high (or too low?). Grounding everything together is typically not a bad
                idea but grounding a speaker wire is typically not done on purpose.

                Shorting out the speaker probably wouldn't kill the unit. It's possible, but
                audio outputs are often transformer coupled and floating, so grounding one
                side or the other likely wouldn't hurt anything. I certainly wouldn't ground
                one side of the speaker anyway since it wouldn't do you any good anyway. On
                my XT, the low side is NOT grounded, so it's likely floating but may get
                grounded somehow back through the low side of my computer audio input jack
                or the audio input connection on an amplified speaker - don't know; haven't
                checked.

                Regarding the starter current story below:

                If the battery ground wire is missing, seems to me two things are required
                to make the starter motor current flow to the radio:

                1. a ground wire direct from the battery to the radio

                2. a ground connection from the radio back to the chassis.

                Otherwise not only would the starter motor not operate, but no other
                electrical circuit would function, including the starter relay. The only
                way I can see to make starter current flow through the XT when you have a
                direct connection to the battery is to use an external antenna where the low
                side of the antenna is bonded to vehicle chassis - a magnetic mounted
                antenna wouldn't do it. Even in this case, it assumes the wire to the
                battery is NOT made out of the same skinny wire that comes with the charger.
                The skinny wire will likely act as a fuse and open up on its own when you
                try to run >100A through it. But since my antenna is a mag mount with no DC
                connection to the chassis, I'm still safe.

                I guess if you use a large enough wire size back to the battery AND use an
                external antenna where the low side is bonded to the chassis (not a mag
                mount or glass mount) you could burn up PCB track between the DC negative
                input connector and the antenna connector. I'm only guessing, but I'd bet it
                would happen pretty quick ------

                Hope this is helpful to someone.

                Mike Hopkins - K1VLB

                Home: 603 882 2030

                Cell: 603 765 3736

                Mhopkins735@...

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                  In this case, the ground wire was run directly to the battery (hence the
                  original comment to not run the ground wire to the battery), and the
                  chassis of the radio was grounded (likely for RF suppression reasons).

                  Granted, there are cases where there would not be the complete path, but
                  it's far better to just ground anything to the chassis rather than the
                  battery.

                  Of course, you could also insulate all the other grounds, but it's much
                  easier to simply not run the ground wire to the battery.

                  And yes, the chassis connection could be via the radio mount (where the
                  case of the radio is grounded internally), via the antenna, via a
                  speaker, or even via a GPS that is powered from the vehicle. Grounds are
                  a good thing to have - just not right to the battery for that one reason.

                  It's also true that the path won't last forever under a starter load,
                  but by the time the path "fuses", the damage will have been done. The
                  same can even be said for adding a fuse to the ground line. It will
                  blow, but what else is damaged in the process?

                  But, the suggestion of eliminating item 1 in your scenario is the
                  easiest (and safest) solution.

                  Joe M.

                • Michael Hopkins
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                    I agree ---- One thing I didn't mention is the use of fuses in both positive
                    and negative wires to the battery. That also works to prevent problems. I
                    run both wires to the battery for a 100 watt transceiver so I don't have
                    high ground currents from the transceiver running all around the car ---
                    reduces the chances of noise problems from ignition as well and the
                    likelihood of transients from other electronics and electrical systems
                    getting to my radio. Power for my XT comes from a cigarette lighter type
                    power connector. All seems to work well..

                    Mike Hopkins - K1VLB

                    Home: 603 882 2030

                    Cell: 603 765 3736

                    Mhopkins735@...

                    Michael Hopkins wrote:
                    > Regarding the starter current story below:
                    >

                    > If the battery ground wire is missing, seems to me two things are required
                    > to make the starter motor current flow to the radio:
                    >

                    > 1. a ground wire direct from the battery to the radio
                    >
                    > 2. a ground connection from the radio back to the chassis.
                    >

                    > Otherwise not only would the starter motor not operate, but no other
                    > electrical circuit would function, including the starter relay. The only
                    > way I can see to make starter current flow through the XT when you have a
                    > direct connection to the battery is to use an external antenna where the
                    low
                    > side of the antenna is bonded to vehicle chassis - a magnetic mounted
                    > antenna wouldn't do it. Even in this case, it assumes the wire to the
                    > battery is NOT made out of the same skinny wire that comes with the
                    charger.
                    > The skinny wire will likely act as a fuse and open up on its own when you
                    > try to run >100A through it. But since my antenna is a mag mount with no
                    DC
                    > connection to the chassis, I'm still safe.
                    >

                    > I guess if you use a large enough wire size back to the battery AND use an
                    > external antenna where the low side is bonded to the chassis (not a mag
                    > mount or glass mount) you could burn up PCB track between the DC negative
                    > input connector and the antenna connector. I'm only guessing, but I'd bet
                    it
                    > would happen pretty quick ------
                    >

                    > Hope this is helpful to someone.
                    >

                    > Mike Hopkins - K1VLB
                    >
                    > Home: 603 882 2030
                    >
                    > Cell: 603 765 3736
                    >
                    > Mhopkins735@... <mailto:Mhopkins735%40charter.net>
                    >

                    > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                    Behalf
                    > Of MCH
                    > Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2012 6:08 PM
                    > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Fried It I think
                    >

                    > If you will only accept an answer from UPMan, that is fine. But, I will
                    > tell you that you shorted one side of the speaker to ground and
                    > increased the load on the audio amp. Again, if you don't want to believe
                    > me that is fine.
                    >
                    > I will let you know that many radios do not use speakers that are
                    > grounded on one side. It may not be common knowledge, but it should be.
                    > Never assume anything about radio design.
                    >
                    > As for speakers, the colors can be anything the manufacturer puts in
                    > them. It's usually what is supplied by the speaker manufacturer (who has
                    > no idea what they are being connected to). I've seen black/red, two
                    > blacks, two whites, two greys, yellow/gray, Etc. Sometimes one side of
                    > the speaker was grounded. Often, it is not.
                    >
                    > Why didn't you use a meter to check the voltages between the points you
                    > were connecting? (often if there is a voltage difference it's not a good
                    > idea to connect those points)
                    >
                    > Here is one more common error that ill-informed people do: They connect
                    > the ground side of a mobile radio to the battery. NEVER do that. I had a
                    > competitor install a commercial two-way radio in a vehicle this way. The
                    > vehicle lost the ground between the chassis and the battery. Guess where
                    > ALL the starting current went; Right through the radio's ground wire
                    > which was the only path left. It literally fried the radio and they are
                    > lucky they didn't burn the vehicle up. Just another one of those things
                    > that should be common knowledge, but isn't. Some will say if you fuse
                    > that like, it makes it OK. It still isn't OK. Just connect the ground
                    > side of the radio to the chassis.
                    >
                    > I know none of this does you any good at this point, but maybe it will
                    > help the next person. When in doubt, ask first. I'm pretty sure the
                    > manual does say to not ground the speaker.
                    >
                    > Joe M.
                    >
                    > radioboy75 wrote:
                    >> I realize you said it was a rhetorical question, but I had to respond
                    > here.
                    >> I guess I would connect it that way because it was my understanding that
                    > it IS ground.
                    >> Doesn't the black wire on a speaker indicate "ground" and the red,
                    > "signal"?
                    >> Apparently not . . .
                    >>
                    >> Some lessons you learn the hard way . . .
                    >>
                    >> I wish I was more informed about that sort of thing. It doesn't appear to
                    > be common knowledge . . .
                    >> Perhaps UPman could explain what I did and why I shouldn't do it.
                    >>
                    >> SVA

                    02:34:00

                  • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                      At 06:19 AM 10/10/2012, you wrote:
                      >I'm guessing the problem isn't with the grounding of the speaker but more
                      >likely something else since the message comes up saying the voltage is too
                      >high (or too low?). Grounding everything together is typically not a bad
                      >idea but grounding a speaker wire is typically not done on purpose.

                      If the audio output stage uses a bridged output stage (a common way
                      to increase output power on a limited DC supply voltage), then
                      connecting one side of the speaker to ground will put one of the
                      halves of the audio amp across the DC supply, putting stress on that
                      output transistor and any voltage regulators in circuit. Another
                      potential issue is if voltage regulation takes place on the negative
                      side of the supply. In this case, you'd short out the regulator
                      and expose the radio to overvoltage.

                      73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                      http://vkradio.com
                    • Alex
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 21, 2012

                        > Scott,
                        >
                        > Can you power the radio up on Alkaline Batteries, no external power source?
                        >
                        > Illegal Voltage means the source voltage your using is too high...

                        "Illegal voltage" will also be displayed if the voltage is too low (I think it appears around 5.0 V, it happens a lot when I power from an external battery that has run low.)