Re: [BCD396XT] Fried It I think

  • mch@nb.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2012
      It is not uncommon to have a speaker that is not grounded on either side.

      Why would you connect a point that is not ground to ground and expect it to work fine? (rhetorical question)

      As to cost, you would have to ask Uniden.

      Joe M.

      On Sat 06/10/12 6:22 PM , "Scott" radioboy75@... sent:

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2012
        Scott,

        Can you power the radio up on Alkaline Batteries, no external power source?

        Illegal Voltage means the source voltage your using is too high...

        On Oct 6, 2012, at 4:22 PM, Scott wrote:

        > OK, so despite the ever so clear warning about connecting the grounds on the earphone jack and the chassis ground, I did what any good ham would do to eliminate a ground-loop hum -- grounded the whole thing, including my audio hardware (yep, and the earphone jack) to a common ground.
        >
        > Well now I've damaged the radio and cannot power it externally or charge the batteries through the radio. I think I may have damaged the voltage regulator.
        >
        > When I hook up external power, it takes quite a long time to do anything, but eventually a message comes up that says "illegal voltage".
        >
        > Obviously, something is amiss here.
        >
        > Two questions:
        >
        > 1. Why is it wired that way? You might imagine someone would tie the grounds together.
        > 2. What would the repair cost?
        >
        > Scott

      • radioboy75
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7, 2012
          Yes, batteries work fine.

          I'm pretty sure I tried it on the cigarette lighter adapter too with the same results.

          If I didn't I should try that.

          I should have mentioned that I did put the power supply on the multimeter, and it's putting out the appropriate voltage . . .

          SVA
        • radioboy75
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 7, 2012
            I realize you said it was a rhetorical question, but I had to respond here.

            I guess I would connect it that way because it was my understanding that it IS ground.

            Doesn't the black wire on a speaker indicate "ground" and the red, "signal"?

            Apparently not . . .

            Some lessons you learn the hard way . . .

            I wish I was more informed about that sort of thing. It doesn't appear to be common knowledge . . .

            Perhaps UPman could explain what I did and why I shouldn't do it.

            SVA
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 7, 2012
              If you will only accept an answer from UPMan, that is fine. But, I will
              tell you that you shorted one side of the speaker to ground and
              increased the load on the audio amp. Again, if you don't want to believe
              me that is fine.

              I will let you know that many radios do not use speakers that are
              grounded on one side. It may not be common knowledge, but it should be.
              Never assume anything about radio design.

              As for speakers, the colors can be anything the manufacturer puts in
              them. It's usually what is supplied by the speaker manufacturer (who has
              no idea what they are being connected to). I've seen black/red, two
              blacks, two whites, two greys, yellow/gray, Etc. Sometimes one side of
              the speaker was grounded. Often, it is not.

              Why didn't you use a meter to check the voltages between the points you
              were connecting? (often if there is a voltage difference it's not a good
              idea to connect those points)

              Here is one more common error that ill-informed people do: They connect
              the ground side of a mobile radio to the battery. NEVER do that. I had a
              competitor install a commercial two-way radio in a vehicle this way. The
              vehicle lost the ground between the chassis and the battery. Guess where
              ALL the starting current went; Right through the radio's ground wire
              which was the only path left. It literally fried the radio and they are
              lucky they didn't burn the vehicle up. Just another one of those things
              that should be common knowledge, but isn't. Some will say if you fuse
              that like, it makes it OK. It still isn't OK. Just connect the ground
              side of the radio to the chassis.

              I know none of this does you any good at this point, but maybe it will
              help the next person. When in doubt, ask first. I'm pretty sure the
              manual does say to not ground the speaker.

              Joe M.

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 7, 2012
                I believe 6 volts is max for the input...

                On Oct 7, 2012, at 2:56 PM, radioboy75 wrote:

                > Yes, batteries work fine.
                >
                > I'm pretty sure I tried it on the cigarette lighter adapter too with the same results.
                >
                > If I didn't I should try that.
                >
                > I should have mentioned that I did put the power supply on the multimeter, and it's putting out the appropriate voltage . . .
                >
                > SVA

              • Michael Hopkins
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                  I'm guessing the problem isn't with the grounding of the speaker but more
                  likely something else since the message comes up saying the voltage is too
                  high (or too low?). Grounding everything together is typically not a bad
                  idea but grounding a speaker wire is typically not done on purpose.

                  Shorting out the speaker probably wouldn't kill the unit. It's possible, but
                  audio outputs are often transformer coupled and floating, so grounding one
                  side or the other likely wouldn't hurt anything. I certainly wouldn't ground
                  one side of the speaker anyway since it wouldn't do you any good anyway. On
                  my XT, the low side is NOT grounded, so it's likely floating but may get
                  grounded somehow back through the low side of my computer audio input jack
                  or the audio input connection on an amplified speaker - don't know; haven't
                  checked.

                  Regarding the starter current story below:

                  If the battery ground wire is missing, seems to me two things are required
                  to make the starter motor current flow to the radio:

                  1. a ground wire direct from the battery to the radio

                  2. a ground connection from the radio back to the chassis.

                  Otherwise not only would the starter motor not operate, but no other
                  electrical circuit would function, including the starter relay. The only
                  way I can see to make starter current flow through the XT when you have a
                  direct connection to the battery is to use an external antenna where the low
                  side of the antenna is bonded to vehicle chassis - a magnetic mounted
                  antenna wouldn't do it. Even in this case, it assumes the wire to the
                  battery is NOT made out of the same skinny wire that comes with the charger.
                  The skinny wire will likely act as a fuse and open up on its own when you
                  try to run >100A through it. But since my antenna is a mag mount with no DC
                  connection to the chassis, I'm still safe.

                  I guess if you use a large enough wire size back to the battery AND use an
                  external antenna where the low side is bonded to the chassis (not a mag
                  mount or glass mount) you could burn up PCB track between the DC negative
                  input connector and the antenna connector. I'm only guessing, but I'd bet it
                  would happen pretty quick ------

                  Hope this is helpful to someone.

                  Mike Hopkins - K1VLB

                  Home: 603 882 2030

                  Cell: 603 765 3736

                  Mhopkins735@...

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                    In this case, the ground wire was run directly to the battery (hence the
                    original comment to not run the ground wire to the battery), and the
                    chassis of the radio was grounded (likely for RF suppression reasons).

                    Granted, there are cases where there would not be the complete path, but
                    it's far better to just ground anything to the chassis rather than the
                    battery.

                    Of course, you could also insulate all the other grounds, but it's much
                    easier to simply not run the ground wire to the battery.

                    And yes, the chassis connection could be via the radio mount (where the
                    case of the radio is grounded internally), via the antenna, via a
                    speaker, or even via a GPS that is powered from the vehicle. Grounds are
                    a good thing to have - just not right to the battery for that one reason.

                    It's also true that the path won't last forever under a starter load,
                    but by the time the path "fuses", the damage will have been done. The
                    same can even be said for adding a fuse to the ground line. It will
                    blow, but what else is damaged in the process?

                    But, the suggestion of eliminating item 1 in your scenario is the
                    easiest (and safest) solution.

                    Joe M.

                  • Michael Hopkins
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                      I agree ---- One thing I didn't mention is the use of fuses in both positive
                      and negative wires to the battery. That also works to prevent problems. I
                      run both wires to the battery for a 100 watt transceiver so I don't have
                      high ground currents from the transceiver running all around the car ---
                      reduces the chances of noise problems from ignition as well and the
                      likelihood of transients from other electronics and electrical systems
                      getting to my radio. Power for my XT comes from a cigarette lighter type
                      power connector. All seems to work well..

                      Mike Hopkins - K1VLB

                      Home: 603 882 2030

                      Cell: 603 765 3736

                      Mhopkins735@...

                      Michael Hopkins wrote:
                      > Regarding the starter current story below:
                      >

                      > If the battery ground wire is missing, seems to me two things are required
                      > to make the starter motor current flow to the radio:
                      >

                      > 1. a ground wire direct from the battery to the radio
                      >
                      > 2. a ground connection from the radio back to the chassis.
                      >

                      > Otherwise not only would the starter motor not operate, but no other
                      > electrical circuit would function, including the starter relay. The only
                      > way I can see to make starter current flow through the XT when you have a
                      > direct connection to the battery is to use an external antenna where the
                      low
                      > side of the antenna is bonded to vehicle chassis - a magnetic mounted
                      > antenna wouldn't do it. Even in this case, it assumes the wire to the
                      > battery is NOT made out of the same skinny wire that comes with the
                      charger.
                      > The skinny wire will likely act as a fuse and open up on its own when you
                      > try to run >100A through it. But since my antenna is a mag mount with no
                      DC
                      > connection to the chassis, I'm still safe.
                      >

                      > I guess if you use a large enough wire size back to the battery AND use an
                      > external antenna where the low side is bonded to the chassis (not a mag
                      > mount or glass mount) you could burn up PCB track between the DC negative
                      > input connector and the antenna connector. I'm only guessing, but I'd bet
                      it
                      > would happen pretty quick ------
                      >

                      > Hope this is helpful to someone.
                      >

                      > Mike Hopkins - K1VLB
                      >
                      > Home: 603 882 2030
                      >
                      > Cell: 603 765 3736
                      >
                      > Mhopkins735@... <mailto:Mhopkins735%40charter.net>
                      >

                      > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                      Behalf
                      > Of MCH
                      > Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2012 6:08 PM
                      > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Fried It I think
                      >

                      > If you will only accept an answer from UPMan, that is fine. But, I will
                      > tell you that you shorted one side of the speaker to ground and
                      > increased the load on the audio amp. Again, if you don't want to believe
                      > me that is fine.
                      >
                      > I will let you know that many radios do not use speakers that are
                      > grounded on one side. It may not be common knowledge, but it should be.
                      > Never assume anything about radio design.
                      >
                      > As for speakers, the colors can be anything the manufacturer puts in
                      > them. It's usually what is supplied by the speaker manufacturer (who has
                      > no idea what they are being connected to). I've seen black/red, two
                      > blacks, two whites, two greys, yellow/gray, Etc. Sometimes one side of
                      > the speaker was grounded. Often, it is not.
                      >
                      > Why didn't you use a meter to check the voltages between the points you
                      > were connecting? (often if there is a voltage difference it's not a good
                      > idea to connect those points)
                      >
                      > Here is one more common error that ill-informed people do: They connect
                      > the ground side of a mobile radio to the battery. NEVER do that. I had a
                      > competitor install a commercial two-way radio in a vehicle this way. The
                      > vehicle lost the ground between the chassis and the battery. Guess where
                      > ALL the starting current went; Right through the radio's ground wire
                      > which was the only path left. It literally fried the radio and they are
                      > lucky they didn't burn the vehicle up. Just another one of those things
                      > that should be common knowledge, but isn't. Some will say if you fuse
                      > that like, it makes it OK. It still isn't OK. Just connect the ground
                      > side of the radio to the chassis.
                      >
                      > I know none of this does you any good at this point, but maybe it will
                      > help the next person. When in doubt, ask first. I'm pretty sure the
                      > manual does say to not ground the speaker.
                      >
                      > Joe M.
                      >
                      > radioboy75 wrote:
                      >> I realize you said it was a rhetorical question, but I had to respond
                      > here.
                      >> I guess I would connect it that way because it was my understanding that
                      > it IS ground.
                      >> Doesn't the black wire on a speaker indicate "ground" and the red,
                      > "signal"?
                      >> Apparently not . . .
                      >>
                      >> Some lessons you learn the hard way . . .
                      >>
                      >> I wish I was more informed about that sort of thing. It doesn't appear to
                      > be common knowledge . . .
                      >> Perhaps UPman could explain what I did and why I shouldn't do it.
                      >>
                      >> SVA

                      02:34:00

                    • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                        At 06:19 AM 10/10/2012, you wrote:
                        >I'm guessing the problem isn't with the grounding of the speaker but more
                        >likely something else since the message comes up saying the voltage is too
                        >high (or too low?). Grounding everything together is typically not a bad
                        >idea but grounding a speaker wire is typically not done on purpose.

                        If the audio output stage uses a bridged output stage (a common way
                        to increase output power on a limited DC supply voltage), then
                        connecting one side of the speaker to ground will put one of the
                        halves of the audio amp across the DC supply, putting stress on that
                        output transistor and any voltage regulators in circuit. Another
                        potential issue is if voltage regulation takes place on the negative
                        side of the supply. In this case, you'd short out the regulator
                        and expose the radio to overvoltage.

                        73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                        http://vkradio.com
                      • Alex
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 21, 2012

                          > Scott,
                          >
                          > Can you power the radio up on Alkaline Batteries, no external power source?
                          >
                          > Illegal Voltage means the source voltage your using is too high...

                          "Illegal voltage" will also be displayed if the voltage is too low (I think it appears around 5.0 V, it happens a lot when I power from an external battery that has run low.)