Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Static version of Twiki manual Was: out of space already?

  • Guy Teague
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 29 2:48 AM
      ok, so further reading while idle at work last night. who else thinks i
      ought to drop everything else and investigate the new 'key safe mode' in
      order to protect me from myself and protect me from rendering my new
      scanner inop within 5 minutes of leaving the house? show of hands? ok, the
      ayes have it. although i won't guarantee that the beeps and 'no-access'
      displays won't frustrate me more than getting myself into some mode i can't
      get out of ... [g]

      ... and speaking of which, in what has become a very irritating pattern
      with all 396xt documentation, it is usually clear how to get into these
      modes, but _never_ clear and _always ambiguous as to how to get _out_ of
      them. from the easy guide, viz:

      To turn Key-Safe mode on or off press and hold Func then turn on the
      scanner. The first time (only) you turn on the scanner in Key-Safe mode you
      will see 'Key Safe Mode On'.

      by which i assume they mean that once you've put it into keysafe mode, it
      stays there until you again restart the radio with func+power and then the
      message would be (and i'm completely guessing here), 'key safe mode off'.
      but this is only a guess and not a very educated one at that considering my
      history of bad guesses on how to operate this thing. you'd never know i
      carried the 396t daily for years, i'm sure.

      /guy (73 de kg5vt)