Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Static version of Twiki manual Was: out of space already?

    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 28, 2012
      They are the same SQKs, but there *are* 100 of them. Frankly, I could
      use 200 or even 300, but 100 should be more than enough for most people.

      If I were to hazard a guess, and it's only a guess, I would suspect you
      had the function key enabled (it's sticky for about 3 seconds after you
      release it) and you hit one of the search keys (1, 2, or 3). I think ham
      radio was one of the pre-assigned search key items.

      Joe M.

      Guy Teague wrote:
      > each service search can have a quick key assigned, but that is
      > ridiculous on the face of it. unless you are in a certain mode or hit
      > certain modifier keys, the quickkey is going to clash with the ones you
      > have assigned to systems.
    • Guy Teague
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 28, 2012
        yes, that sticky function is giving me fits. when i want to disable groups
        i find myself either hitting f+1, f+2, f+3 or holding down the func key and
        hitting 1, then 2, then 3 instead of briefly pressing function, then
        hitting 123.

        i did somewhat better on my first commute to work this evening. i had
        system 1 (home) and system 2 (work) enabled to start, then had no trouble
        dismissing sys1 when i drove out of the home jurisdiction. oh, and i had
        close call pri enabled and, since our discussion the other night, the
        expected behavior was that a close call hit would store to the temp 10
        memories and would not scan those memories.

        but i think i had some problem with that function key when i went to
        activate some groups under my work system. all of a sudden i got a blaring
        BHLAAAAAT! control channel out of the speaker and when i was able to take a
        look, the radio was scanning the close call 'system'. i thought that this
        system would only get created if you were doing the close call only mode or
        cc 'search and store', but evidently if you have the store memories
        allocated every close call mode will use them. well, unless i did something
        strange when i was fumbling with the function key to get those groups
        enabled.

        in any case, showing i can learn something after all (g), i did a
        func+l/o+l/o when the close call system came up and got rid of it and was
        able to finish my commute. i'll investigate those setting more this
        evening. what i need to do is to devote a solid hour to just doing close
        call work using one of my transmitters and making my own notes as to how it
        works in the various modes before i try to troubleshoot on the fly out in
        60mph bumper-to-bumper traffic.

        thanks again,

        /guy (73 de kg5vt)

        On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 6:57 AM, MCH <mch@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > They are the same SQKs, but there *are* 100 of them. Frankly, I could
        > use 200 or even 300, but 100 should be more than enough for most people.
        >
        > If I were to hazard a guess, and it's only a guess, I would suspect you
        > had the function key enabled (it's sticky for about 3 seconds after you
        > release it) and you hit one of the search keys (1, 2, or 3). I think ham
        > radio was one of the pre-assigned search key items.
        >

        > Joe M.
        >
        > Guy Teague wrote:
        > > each service search can have a quick key assigned, but that is
        > > ridiculous on the face of it. unless you are in a certain mode or hit
        > > certain modifier keys, the quickkey is going to clash with the ones you
        > > have assigned to systems.

      • Guy Teague
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 29, 2012
          ok, so further reading while idle at work last night. who else thinks i
          ought to drop everything else and investigate the new 'key safe mode' in
          order to protect me from myself and protect me from rendering my new
          scanner inop within 5 minutes of leaving the house? show of hands? ok, the
          ayes have it. although i won't guarantee that the beeps and 'no-access'
          displays won't frustrate me more than getting myself into some mode i can't
          get out of ... [g]

          ... and speaking of which, in what has become a very irritating pattern
          with all 396xt documentation, it is usually clear how to get into these
          modes, but _never_ clear and _always ambiguous as to how to get _out_ of
          them. from the easy guide, viz:

          To turn Key-Safe mode on or off press and hold Func then turn on the
          scanner. The first time (only) you turn on the scanner in Key-Safe mode you
          will see 'Key Safe Mode On'.

          by which i assume they mean that once you've put it into keysafe mode, it
          stays there until you again restart the radio with func+power and then the
          message would be (and i'm completely guessing here), 'key safe mode off'.
          but this is only a guess and not a very educated one at that considering my
          history of bad guesses on how to operate this thing. you'd never know i
          carried the 396t daily for years, i'm sure.

          /guy (73 de kg5vt)