Re: [BCD396XT] Re: out of space already?

  • Guy Teague
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 25, 2012
      thanks joe. yeah, i zapped those factory-supplied systems when i found out
      i could get them back with the reset sequence, but just in case, i stored
      the out-of-the-box state of the radio (systems and config) into arc_xt and
      freescan files. unless i'm doing just a small change, i usually tell arc_xt
      to delete all current systems on the radio before writing the new ones from
      the computer although i'm sure as i get more than a couple dozen systems
      and my conventional scanning groups that blanket delete will become
      unwieldy and i'll have to become more selective.

      /guy (73 de kg5vt)

    • gteague
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 25, 2012
        tks mucho for that redirection. i had indeed drifted off that static page onto the live site.

        /guy (73 de kg5vt)

        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Upman" <uniden.upman@...> wrote:

        > I recommend you use the static page version of the site. It is instantaneous.
        >
        > http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/publish/BCD396XT.html
        >
        > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "gteague" <accts@> wrote:
        > >
        > > and as to the new 396xt, the uniden manual/wiki is so slow it's near to being useless. right now i'm working off the radioref wiki for the 396xt and the 'easier-to-read' manual i found online. any other sources of documentation would be greatly appreciated if any of you guys know any. even though i've previous used a uniden model, it's like i'm starting all over again and i have a million questions i could ask, but i'll put in at least another week's reading before i

      • Bob Burns W9RXR
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 25, 2012
          At 04:12 PM 9/25/2012, Upman wrote:

          >I recommend you use the static page version of the site. It is instantaneous.
          >
          >http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/publish/BCD396XT.html

          On this page:

          http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/publish/keysandtheirfunctions.html

          All but two of the links under "Key Functions in different operation
          modes" are broken.

          Bob...
        • gteague
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 25, 2012
            and, as it happens, i'm in dire need of that section right now. i was playing with virtual control in freescan and somehow got the damm thing scanning one system and doing a ham search. i don't know if it's doing a service search, one of the 1/2/3 quick programmed searches, or just a frequency search. in any case, i can't get the damm thing to stop searching! the uniden web page is very helpful on this topic, viz:

            To start the search assigned to a Search Key, FUNCTION + tap that Search Key.

            yeah, well how about how to STOP it! i never assigned any search yet, thus i don't even know which key to try to toggle on/off.

            i'm beginning to realize why my 396t sat idle for 3 years--i lost the ability to use it due to hardly anything being intuitive enough to fix without a manual. don't feel bad uniden, the yaesu vx-nn series is just exactly as bad, necessitating that you carry two, 80-100 page quick guides just to operate it.

            well, i'm completely stumped. i went into service search and tried starting a ham search and it starts, but there's no way to stop it that i can tell. i'm just going to completely reset the radio and reload it from one of my backups. geeeeeeeeeesh! i just can't believe i've been in radio for 45 years and built the very first pc from a kit and this little brick is completely destroying any dignity and geek cred i had left. [g]

            one conclusion i've reached already is that if i can put the whole radio out of commission basically with one errant keystroke and can't recover, you could never use this thing in an emergency situation unless you are 100% up on every contingency and the use of every key and key combo available.

            /guy (73 de kg5vt)

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@...> wrote:

            > At 04:12 PM 9/25/2012, Upman wrote:
            >
            > >I recommend you use the static page version of the site. It is instantaneous.
            > >
            > >http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/publish/BCD396XT.html
            >
            > On this page:
            >
            > http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/publish/keysandtheirfunctions.html
            >
            > All but two of the links under "Key Functions in different operation
            > modes" are broken.
            >
            > Bob...

          • gteague
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 25, 2012
              so, this has necessitated a re-boot in my thinking and put a dead stop to me setting up this radio. it's obvious that before i go one step further, i need to find some instructions on how to escape, reboot, reset, or otherwise easily get back to the configuration i started with given that it's so ridiculously easy to get into a wrong mode you can't easily exit from.

              i ended up having to download a stored configuration back to the radio just in order to get it to stop scanning the ham bands. can't do that once i'm in my car--i'd just have to turn off the scanner and toss it into the glove compartment. and worse, i don't even know what my mistake was. perhaps i held the function key down for 1.5s instead of .5s when i was trying to disable group #2? i don't know--haven't the faintest idea.

              /guy (73 de kg5vt)

              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "gteague" <accts@...> wrote:

              > and, as it happens, i'm in dire need of that section right now. i was playing with virtual control in freescan and somehow got the damm thing scanning one system and doing a ham search. i don't know if it's doing a service search, one of the 1/2/3 quick programmed searches, or just a frequency search. in any case, i can't get the damm thing to stop searching! the uniden web page is very helpful on this topic, viz:
              >
              > To start the search assigned to a Search Key, FUNCTION + tap that Search Key.
              >
              > yeah, well how about how to STOP it! i never assigned any search yet, thus i don't even know which key to try to toggle on/off.
              >
              > i'm beginning to realize why my 396t sat idle for 3 years--i lost the ability to use it due to hardly anything being intuitive enough to fix without a manual. don't feel bad uniden, the yaesu vx-nn series is just exactly as bad, necessitating that you carry two, 80-100 page quick guides just to operate it.
              >
              > well, i'm completely stumped. i went into service search and tried starting a ham search and it starts, but there's no way to stop it that i can tell. i'm just going to completely reset the radio and reload it from one of my backups. geeeeeeeeeesh! i just can't believe i've been in radio for 45 years and built the very first pc from a kit and this little brick is completely destroying any dignity and geek cred i had left. [g]
              >
              > one conclusion i've reached already is that if i can put the whole radio out of commission basically with one errant keystroke and can't recover, you could never use this thing in an emergency situation unless you are 100% up on every contingency and the use of every key and key combo available.
              >
              > /guy (73 de kg5vt)
              >
              > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@> wrote:
              > >
              > > At 04:12 PM 9/25/2012, Upman wrote:
              > >
              > > >I recommend you use the static page version of the site. It is instantaneous.
              > > >
              > > >http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/publish/BCD396XT.html
              > >
              > > On this page:
              > >
              > > http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/publish/keysandtheirfunctions.html
              > >
              > > All but two of the links under "Key Functions in different operation
              > > modes" are broken.
              > >
              > > Bob...

            • Paul Opitz
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 26, 2012
                To lock out a search (or any system), F+L/O, L/O while in that search (or
                system).

                ________________________________

                #2? i don't know--haven't the faintest idea.

                /guy (73 de kg5vt)

                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "gteague" <accts@...> wrote:

                > and, as it happens, i'm in dire need of that section right now. i was playing
                >with virtual control in freescan and somehow got the damm thing scanning one
                >system and doing a ham search. i don't know if it's doing a service search, one
                >of the 1/2/3 quick programmed searches, or just a frequency search. in any case,
                >i can't get the damm thing to stop searching! the uniden web page is very
                >helpful on this topic, viz:
                >
                > To start the search assigned to a Search Key, FUNCTION + tap that Search Key.
                >
                > yeah, well how about how to STOP it! i never assigned any search yet, thus i
                >don't even know which key to try to toggle on/off.
                >
                > i'm beginning to realize why my 396t sat idle for 3 years--i lost the ability
                >to use it due to hardly anything being intuitive enough to fix without a manual.
                >don't feel bad uniden, the yaesu vx-nn series is just exactly as bad,
                >necessitating that you carry two, 80-100 page quick guides just to operate it.
                >
                > well, i'm completely stumped. i went into service search and tried starting a
                >ham search and it starts, but there's no way to stop it that i can tell. i'm
                >just going to completely reset the radio and reload it from one of my backups.
                >geeeeeeeeeesh! i just can't believe i've been in radio for 45 years and built
                >the very first pc from a kit and this little brick is completely destroying any
                >dignity and geek cred i had left. [g]
                >
                > one conclusion i've reached already is that if i can put the whole radio out of
                >commission basically with one errant keystroke and can't recover, you could
                >never use this thing in an emergency situation unless you are 100% up on every
                >contingency and the use of every key and key combo available.
                >
                > /guy (73 de kg5vt)
                >
                > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@> wrote:
                > >
                > > At 04:12 PM 9/25/2012, Upman wrote:
                > >
                > > >I recommend you use the static page version of the site. It is
                >instantaneous.
                > > >
                > > >http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/publish/BCD396XT.html
                > >
                > > On this page:
                > >
                > > http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/publish/keysandtheirfunctions.html
                > >
                > > All but two of the links under "Key Functions in different operation
                > > modes" are broken.
                > >
                > > Bob...

              • Guy Teague
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 26, 2012
                  thanks again paul. it's a lot of keystrokes to remember, i'm struggling
                  with all the modes and options.

                  and i found out which system torpedoed me the other day: fort worth trunked
                  public safety. it has 527 talkgroups, i'll have to prune that one.

                  /guy (73 de kg5vt)

                • Paul Opitz
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 27, 2012
                    I usually break Fort Worth TRS into several systems...putting actual Fort Worth
                    TGIDs in one and different towns or areas of Tarrant County in others.

                    ________________________________
                    thanks again paul. it's a lot of keystrokes to remember, i'm struggling
                    with all the modes and options.

                    and i found out which system torpedoed me the other day: fort worth trunked
                    public safety. it has 527 talkgroups, i'll have to prune that one.

                    /guy (73 de kg5vt)

                    On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 7:37 AM, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > To lock out a search (or any system), F+L/O, L/O while in that search (or
                    > system).
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Guy Teague
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 27, 2012
                      well, i did it yet again. i don't understand how i can so easily get that
                      ham search going (it's not the default search, nor is it assigned to one of
                      the 3 src keys) and not be able to stop it. i did the 'f+l/o', but
                      everytime i do anything with the radio it comes back again. if i upload or
                      download it comes back. and i don't understand why i have to lock it out.
                      why can't i disable it or turn it off? lockout implies it is running all
                      the time and i don't want it running at all unless i go into the menu and
                      select it.

                      i received my scanner master documentation today of the book and quick
                      reference card and of course they explain how to start all the searches but
                      not a frigging word about how to stop 'em! is 'f+l/o' the only 'off'
                      switch? i just turned the radio off and back on and sure enough, i'm still
                      in ham search and the dammed thing is i have no idea how i started the
                      search in the first place.

                      ok, i pressed 'hold' and then 'f+l/o' on the ham search. it displayed
                      'temporary lockout'. i don't want a 'lockout' of any kind, i want to turn
                      off the dammed search until i specifically want it.

                      and of course, another power off/power on cycle and it's back again. so
                      this time i hit hold plus the 'l/o' twice. and that locked out the
                      frequency it was holding on. perhaps my mistake is hitting the 'hold' key.
                      perhaps i have to turn off every other system first so i can make sure i'm
                      operating on that search, let's try that:

                      and that only temporarily locks it out again.

                      ok another try. powered off, then on the radio. back in ham search. this
                      time i did 'f+l/o+l/o' while it was searching and the radio responded
                      'locked out'. this time it seems to have stayed locked out.

                      so now i get brave and go into the menu and start a ham search from the
                      search service menu. i hit 'f+l/o+l/o' and it tells me 'nothing locked'.
                      arrrrrgggghhhh! it appears that simply hitting the 'scan' key puts it back
                      in default scan mode and has stopped the service search, which is the exact
                      behavior i've been expecting all along.

                      so how did i get it into the service search from hell mode that doesn't
                      respond to the 'scan' key turning it off? and can you please come over with
                      your soldering iron and burn out the part of the user i/o chip that allows
                      me to do this so frequently by accident? [g]

                      thanks, /guy (73 de kg5vt)

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 28, 2012
                        What you want to do is FUNC then the lockout key *TWICE* (FUNC-L/O-L/O).

                        You are only temporarily deleting it from your scanning. That is why it
                        is coming back when you cycle power.

                        The manual describes several ways to stop searching with scanning. The
                        above is one method. Going into your scanner options and disabling
                        SEARCH WITH SCAN is another way.

                        Joe M.

                      • Guy Teague
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 28, 2012
                          dang, i _do_ remember reading about that when i was looking at the
                          differences between the 396t and the xt. if i remember right, that's a
                          feature the 396t doesn't have, which would explain why i never encountered
                          this problem up until now.

                          but why is this search acting differently from the normal service scan in
                          that hitting the 'scan' key doesn't dismiss it?

                          and i went through the menu system like 18 times and i can't find a global
                          setting to suppress search with scan. each service search has it's own
                          setting, viz:

                          menu // search for ... / edit service / ham radio / search with scan /
                          ?lset ockout?

                          and i went through each service search and each one had the quickkey set to
                          '.' and the 'set lockout' toggle set to 'locked out'. of course, by then i
                          had locked out the ham search using the fn+l/o+l/o key sequence.

                          so the question remains, how did i get one of these searches started? it
                          sure can't be all that difficult as i've done it 3 times now under
                          different conditions. we've already determined that the same search started
                          from the menu item will quit when the 'scan' key is pressed. and none of
                          the searches had any of the quickkeys or number tags or anything assigned.
                          so it must have been the '.' key they are all set to. but i cannot for the
                          life of me get one started using any combination of function and that key.

                          /guy (73 de kg5vt)

                        • Guy Teague
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 28, 2012
                            well, i've cruised back and forth through my new $30 scannermaster book and
                            my $8 quick reference card without learning much. there are at least 3
                            references to 'search with scan', but no information as to how you get into
                            this mode. each service search can have a quick key assigned, but that is
                            ridiculous on the face of it. unless you are in a certain mode or hit
                            certain modifier keys, the quickkey is going to clash with the ones you
                            have assigned to systems. unless these quickkeys are different quickkeys
                            and only work in search mode. perhaps much of this stuff i'm reading is
                            only applicable to search mode (which i don't use very much) and perhaps
                            i'm looking at this all wrong. perhaps i am somehow accidentally ending up
                            in search mode and i'm starting a scan by mistake, not the other way
                            around.

                            now here is one that might apply from the quickref card:

                            *: to start a custom/service search using programmed search keys ...
                            *: /hold/ on any channel/freq and press /func/ + /search key/ assigned to
                            search.

                            i can imagine me doing this, except that there were no quickkeys assigned
                            to any of the searches. and then there is the matter of the 3 keys that can
                            be assigned to 3 different searches. i've assigned bandplan to one of
                            these, but i have no idea how to trigger it. evidently you have to be in
                            some mode or other and hit some modifier key or other in some combination
                            or other and how the hell would anyone other than a polymath with a (what
                            used to be called) a photographic memory every remember this crap? i feel
                            like i'm in wonderland and the mad hatter just ate the only map.

                            my opinion is that there need to be global options to turn off 90% of these
                            features so that as you learn and become comfortable with one level of
                            feature, you can gradually add them in. of course, i'm sure uniden help
                            lines would be flooded with calls saying this or that feature doesn't work
                            because the user forgot he turned it off. there's no winning this game.

                            /guy (73 de kg5vt)

                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 28, 2012
                              If you have SEARCH WITH SCAN enabled, it would still search it if you
                              hit the SCAN button.

                              Search with Scan is not a global setting - it's set for each search
                              category so you can activate only some searches.

                              How you enabled it? Who knows. The important thing is that you now know
                              how to enable and disable it.

                              If you want to use it sometimes, assign it a SQK that way you can
                              quickly enable or disable it.

                              Joe M.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 28, 2012
                                They are the same SQKs, but there *are* 100 of them. Frankly, I could
                                use 200 or even 300, but 100 should be more than enough for most people.

                                If I were to hazard a guess, and it's only a guess, I would suspect you
                                had the function key enabled (it's sticky for about 3 seconds after you
                                release it) and you hit one of the search keys (1, 2, or 3). I think ham
                                radio was one of the pre-assigned search key items.

                                Joe M.

                                Guy Teague wrote:
                                > each service search can have a quick key assigned, but that is
                                > ridiculous on the face of it. unless you are in a certain mode or hit
                                > certain modifier keys, the quickkey is going to clash with the ones you
                                > have assigned to systems.
                              • Guy Teague
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 28, 2012
                                  yes, that sticky function is giving me fits. when i want to disable groups
                                  i find myself either hitting f+1, f+2, f+3 or holding down the func key and
                                  hitting 1, then 2, then 3 instead of briefly pressing function, then
                                  hitting 123.

                                  i did somewhat better on my first commute to work this evening. i had
                                  system 1 (home) and system 2 (work) enabled to start, then had no trouble
                                  dismissing sys1 when i drove out of the home jurisdiction. oh, and i had
                                  close call pri enabled and, since our discussion the other night, the
                                  expected behavior was that a close call hit would store to the temp 10
                                  memories and would not scan those memories.

                                  but i think i had some problem with that function key when i went to
                                  activate some groups under my work system. all of a sudden i got a blaring
                                  BHLAAAAAT! control channel out of the speaker and when i was able to take a
                                  look, the radio was scanning the close call 'system'. i thought that this
                                  system would only get created if you were doing the close call only mode or
                                  cc 'search and store', but evidently if you have the store memories
                                  allocated every close call mode will use them. well, unless i did something
                                  strange when i was fumbling with the function key to get those groups
                                  enabled.

                                  in any case, showing i can learn something after all (g), i did a
                                  func+l/o+l/o when the close call system came up and got rid of it and was
                                  able to finish my commute. i'll investigate those setting more this
                                  evening. what i need to do is to devote a solid hour to just doing close
                                  call work using one of my transmitters and making my own notes as to how it
                                  works in the various modes before i try to troubleshoot on the fly out in
                                  60mph bumper-to-bumper traffic.

                                  thanks again,

                                  /guy (73 de kg5vt)

                                  On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 6:57 AM, MCH <mch@...> wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > They are the same SQKs, but there *are* 100 of them. Frankly, I could
                                  > use 200 or even 300, but 100 should be more than enough for most people.
                                  >
                                  > If I were to hazard a guess, and it's only a guess, I would suspect you
                                  > had the function key enabled (it's sticky for about 3 seconds after you
                                  > release it) and you hit one of the search keys (1, 2, or 3). I think ham
                                  > radio was one of the pre-assigned search key items.
                                  >

                                  > Joe M.
                                  >
                                  > Guy Teague wrote:
                                  > > each service search can have a quick key assigned, but that is
                                  > > ridiculous on the face of it. unless you are in a certain mode or hit
                                  > > certain modifier keys, the quickkey is going to clash with the ones you
                                  > > have assigned to systems.

                                • Guy Teague
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 29, 2012
                                    ok, so further reading while idle at work last night. who else thinks i
                                    ought to drop everything else and investigate the new 'key safe mode' in
                                    order to protect me from myself and protect me from rendering my new
                                    scanner inop within 5 minutes of leaving the house? show of hands? ok, the
                                    ayes have it. although i won't guarantee that the beeps and 'no-access'
                                    displays won't frustrate me more than getting myself into some mode i can't
                                    get out of ... [g]

                                    ... and speaking of which, in what has become a very irritating pattern
                                    with all 396xt documentation, it is usually clear how to get into these
                                    modes, but _never_ clear and _always ambiguous as to how to get _out_ of
                                    them. from the easy guide, viz:

                                    To turn Key-Safe mode on or off press and hold Func then turn on the
                                    scanner. The first time (only) you turn on the scanner in Key-Safe mode you
                                    will see 'Key Safe Mode On'.

                                    by which i assume they mean that once you've put it into keysafe mode, it
                                    stays there until you again restart the radio with func+power and then the
                                    message would be (and i'm completely guessing here), 'key safe mode off'.
                                    but this is only a guess and not a very educated one at that considering my
                                    history of bad guesses on how to operate this thing. you'd never know i
                                    carried the 396t daily for years, i'm sure.

                                    /guy (73 de kg5vt)