P25 Decode Adjustments - Followup

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 20, 2012
      This is a follow up from a previous post. I tweaked the P25 decode settings a bit more and for the most part things seem to be working. However, I am having trouble while in motion. It's probably picket fencing but I get a lot more dropped signals and decode errors when in motion (even slowly) compared to standing still. Some of the trunked systems that I listen to come in fine at first and when I start moving I lose them.

      I'm using an external antenna most of the time so I should be able to pick up signals pretty well. I'm also well within the footprint of most of the towers. I'm at a bit of a loss for what left to adjust to try and bring in the signals all the time.

      Any additional suggestions?
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 20, 2012
        Multipath, if that is what is occurring, is external to the radio...

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 20, 2012
          Make sure your squelch is fairly low. I always use a setting of '2'.

          Joe M.

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 21, 2012
            I never change the squelch setting, it's always 2 because 3 or more pretty much silence the radio while 1 or less makes it open up on any little blip. I think the squelch range is a bit too compressed. It really should have the 0-3 range expanded to fill 0-15.

            > Make sure your squelch is fairly low. I always use a setting of '2'.
            >
            > Joe M.
            >
            > Lance wrote:
            > > Multipath, if that is what is occurring, is external to the radio...
            > >

            > > On Sep 20, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Alex wrote:
            > >
            > >> This is a follow up from a previous post. I tweaked the P25 decode settings a bit more and for the most part things seem to be working. However, I am having trouble while in motion. It's probably picket fencing but I get a lot more dropped signals and decode errors when in motion (even slowly) compared to standing still. Some of the trunked systems that I listen to come in fine at first and when I start moving I lose them.
            > >>
            > >> I'm using an external antenna most of the time so I should be able to pick up signals pretty well. I'm also well within the footprint of most of the towers. I'm at a bit of a loss for what left to adjust to try and bring in the signals all the time.
            > >>
            > >> Any additional suggestions?

          • agcme2002
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 21, 2012
              Yes but it's not likely multipath because the problem happens even if I'm out in the open (say a very large field). There isn't anything to bounce extra signals from. It also goes away the moment I stop no matter where I am. Multipath failures depend on physical location more than velocity. If I'm in an urban canyon, there are going to be spots where reception just doesn't work because of multipath even if I'm standing still.