Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Error in Uniden Description ?

  • Don
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
      http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
        I was slightly incorrect. The law does not specify "public places" - it
        specifies "business establishment" (easy to confuse, as most businesses
        are open to the public).

        There is an opinion of the FL Attorney General that portable scanners
        are not included in the definition of "installed", but the law also
        excludes the transportation of scanners in vehicles, so there is a
        conflict there.

        In short, the law says "A person, firm, or corporation may not install
        or transport in any motor vehicle or business establishment"...
        (anything that can receive police or fire frequencies).

        So, while you can use your scanner in a public place, you have to walk
        there, I guess, as the law precludes transportation in a vehicle. And
        you can't go into any businesses. For all practical purposes, they made
        scanners illegal except in your own home.

        Now, are there people who are going to install and transport scanners
        anyway? Of course. It's just a matter of how much risk you want to
        accept. As I said before, even UPS and FedEx break the law when
        transporting scanners for delivery.

        Joe M.

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
          That's one of the better sites for such info, and has been for years.

          Joe M.

          Don wrote:
          > http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/
          >

          > On 9/13/2012 6:29 AM, JOHN PRICE wrote:
          >> Can someone send me a list of states that outlaw scanners.
          >>
          >> Thanks
          >>
          >> John
          >>

          >> ________________________________

        • Clark Rennie
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
            Somehow this thread no longer has anything to do with the Subject Header
            which I admitted was wrong information.
            Now the thread has been hijacked as to the legality of scanners in vehicles.
            It's really not that difficult to change the Subject.

            Clark

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
              @Clark,

              I think it's relevant for all of us, and especially considering the investment...

              Nice to know we are looking out for each other as a community of scanner owners...

              On Sep 13, 2012, at 5:53 PM, Clark Rennie wrote:

              > Somehow this thread no longer has anything to do with the Subject Header
              > which I admitted was wrong information.
              > Now the thread has been hijacked as to the legality of scanners in vehicles.
              > It's really not that difficult to change the Subject.
              >
              > Clark
              >
              > At 02:51 PM 9/13/2012, you wrote:
              >
              > >Google is your friend!
              > >
              > >http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/
              > >
              > >Note: Scanner aps on phones may (and probably are) illegal in states that
              > >ban use of scanners in motor vehicles
              > >
              > >The FCC has granted a federal exemption to amateur radio operators for the
              > >use of AMATEUR RADIO units that can receive outside the ham
              > >bands. Scanners are generally not covered by this exemption.
              > >
              > >In any case, "low profile" is also your friend!
              > >
              > >'73 de JIM N2ZZ

            • Gail Wisher
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 16, 2012
                Since Oakland moved the problem AT and T and I reloaded the latest changes from  Radio Ref my reception on this p25 increased .   It alsmost sounds like the old system.  The 396 XT is following digital and non digital as I also listen to local PD (Alameda) as they have not made the switch yet. It also  is following some handheld to handeld chatter and Dispatch to handheld and especially during street chases.. For a while there I was ready to junk this unit .

                /

                .