Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Error in Uniden Description ?

  • Paul Opitz
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
      http://lmgtfy.com/?q=scanner+laws

      ________________________________
      From: JOHN PRICE <jp5464jp@...>
      To: "BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com" <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thu, September 13, 2012 8:28:15 AM
      Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Error in Uniden Description ?

      Can someone send me a list of states that outlaw scanners.

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
        Do the RadioShack stores still sell scanners in the forbidden states??....

        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:

        > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=scanner+laws
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Don
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
          http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/

          On 9/13/2012 6:29 AM, JOHN PRICE wrote:
          > Can someone send me a list of states that outlaw scanners.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > John
          >

          > ________________________________

        • James F. Boehner, MD
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
            Google is your friend!

            http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/

            Note: Scanner aps on phones may (and probably are) illegal in states that ban use of scanners in motor vehicles

            The FCC has granted a federal exemption to amateur radio operators for the use of AMATEUR RADIO units that can receive outside the ham bands. Scanners are generally not covered by this exemption.

            In any case, "low profile" is also your friend!

            '73 de JIM N2ZZ

            Can someone send me a list of states that outlaw scanners.

            Thanks

            Kentucky outlaws scanners? Wow, good thing I have no need to go to Kentucky. So I'll add Kentucky to the list (same as New York, don't need to go there).

            --- In mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com, "KE4JD" <ke4jd-1@...> wrote:

            You see I live in a state
            > where scanners are outlawed and though hams are exempted the way the law is
            > written they can confiscate the scanner, destroy it on the spot and then ask
            > me for my ID. I also travel to a city weekly that has a similar ban.

          • Alex
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
              Well I can't add Florida since I live there. :)

              But Florida's law is vehicle only and not scanner possession in general (such as carrying it around, fortunately) and there's no confiscation, only a fine. Public use in Florida is ok as far as I've been able to understand since the law only makes mention of vehicles. I've used mine in public frequently with no problems. More specifically, the scanner had to be connected to the vehicle as determined and clarified by the Florida Attorney General. A handheld sitting on the seat not attached to the vehicle in any way does not violate the law. That clarification eliminates the issue of USPS/UPS/FedEx being liable and also allows people to transport a scanner to events or locations(Daytona 500, the beach, etc.) where it can again be used on a person.

              From the description for KY it seems that simply having one period was just out of the question or watch it get smashed to pieces. New York makes it restrictive to have just about anything that can receive other than a regular TV or commercial 88-108 FM radio but then again New York is just restrictive on everything.

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                I was slightly incorrect. The law does not specify "public places" - it
                specifies "business establishment" (easy to confuse, as most businesses
                are open to the public).

                There is an opinion of the FL Attorney General that portable scanners
                are not included in the definition of "installed", but the law also
                excludes the transportation of scanners in vehicles, so there is a
                conflict there.

                In short, the law says "A person, firm, or corporation may not install
                or transport in any motor vehicle or business establishment"...
                (anything that can receive police or fire frequencies).

                So, while you can use your scanner in a public place, you have to walk
                there, I guess, as the law precludes transportation in a vehicle. And
                you can't go into any businesses. For all practical purposes, they made
                scanners illegal except in your own home.

                Now, are there people who are going to install and transport scanners
                anyway? Of course. It's just a matter of how much risk you want to
                accept. As I said before, even UPS and FedEx break the law when
                transporting scanners for delivery.

                Joe M.

                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                  That's one of the better sites for such info, and has been for years.

                  Joe M.

                  Don wrote:
                  > http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/
                  >

                  > On 9/13/2012 6:29 AM, JOHN PRICE wrote:
                  >> Can someone send me a list of states that outlaw scanners.
                  >>
                  >> Thanks
                  >>
                  >> John
                  >>

                  >> ________________________________

                • Clark Rennie
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                    Somehow this thread no longer has anything to do with the Subject Header
                    which I admitted was wrong information.
                    Now the thread has been hijacked as to the legality of scanners in vehicles.
                    It's really not that difficult to change the Subject.

                    Clark

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                      @Clark,

                      I think it's relevant for all of us, and especially considering the investment...

                      Nice to know we are looking out for each other as a community of scanner owners...

                      On Sep 13, 2012, at 5:53 PM, Clark Rennie wrote:

                      > Somehow this thread no longer has anything to do with the Subject Header
                      > which I admitted was wrong information.
                      > Now the thread has been hijacked as to the legality of scanners in vehicles.
                      > It's really not that difficult to change the Subject.
                      >
                      > Clark
                      >
                      > At 02:51 PM 9/13/2012, you wrote:
                      >
                      > >Google is your friend!
                      > >
                      > >http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/
                      > >
                      > >Note: Scanner aps on phones may (and probably are) illegal in states that
                      > >ban use of scanners in motor vehicles
                      > >
                      > >The FCC has granted a federal exemption to amateur radio operators for the
                      > >use of AMATEUR RADIO units that can receive outside the ham
                      > >bands. Scanners are generally not covered by this exemption.
                      > >
                      > >In any case, "low profile" is also your friend!
                      > >
                      > >'73 de JIM N2ZZ

                    • Gail Wisher
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 16, 2012
                        Since Oakland moved the problem AT and T and I reloaded the latest changes from  Radio Ref my reception on this p25 increased .   It alsmost sounds like the old system.  The 396 XT is following digital and non digital as I also listen to local PD (Alameda) as they have not made the switch yet. It also  is following some handheld to handeld chatter and Dispatch to handheld and especially during street chases.. For a while there I was ready to junk this unit .

                        /

                        .