RE: [BCD396XT] Error in Uniden Description ?

  • KE4JD
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 12 6:42 AM
      Hey Clark,

      I wouldn't look at it as being wrong so much as being skeptical because it
      seems almost too good to be true.

      I can tell you I WAS skeptical until I tried it with my BCD396XT and I could
      not believe it would ever work so well. It worked so well in fact I nearly
      wore out the data cable connector trying to use it on my belt with a Garmin
      60csx on one side and the scanner on the other. You see I live in a state
      where scanners are outlawed and though hams are exempted the way the law is
      written they can confiscate the scanner, destroy it on the spot and then ask
      me for my ID. I also travel to a city weekly that has a similar ban.

      The best way to learn is to ask so hook up that GPS and have a go at. You'll
      be impressed. Just review UPMan's comments on this thread to keep things in
      perspective and you just may be amazed too.

      Don, KE4JD

      _____

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 12 9:03 PM
        Kentucky outlaws scanners? Wow, good thing I have no need to go to Kentucky. So I'll add Kentucky to the list (same as New York, don't need to go there).

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 12 11:00 PM
          Yep. Some states are ridiculous that way. Add Florida, too. You cannot
          transport a scanner in Florida or use one in a public place.
          Technically, you cannot even have one delivered by UPS or FedEx
          according to how the law is written. Of course, in those cases the
          delivery company is in violation, not you.

          If there is an exemption for hams in KY, they should not be able to
          confiscate the scanner if confiscation is allowed by the law. An
          exemption is an exemption - period.

          Joe M.

          Alex wrote:
          > Kentucky outlaws scanners? Wow, good thing I have no need to go to Kentucky. So I'll add Kentucky to the list (same as New York, don't need to go there).
          >
          > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "KE4JD" <ke4jd-1@...> wrote:
          > You see I live in a state
          >> where scanners are outlawed and though hams are exempted the way the law is
          >> written they can confiscate the scanner, destroy it on the spot and then ask
          >> me for my ID. I also travel to a city weekly that has a similar ban.

        • JOHN PRICE
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 13 4:29 AM
            Can someone send me a list of states that outlaw scanners.

            Thanks

            --- In mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com, "KE4JD" <ke4jd-1@...> wrote:

            You see I live in a state
            > where scanners are outlawed and though hams are exempted the way the law is
            > written they can confiscate the scanner, destroy it on the spot and then ask
            > me for my ID. I also travel to a city weekly that has a similar ban.

          • Rick
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 13 4:39 AM
              Hi buddy! There is a law for scanners in florida? I did not know that , I was just down there for 2 weeks and carried mine everywhere and nobody said anything I guess I got lucky , so that must be the reason the highway patrol is rncrypted. Lol

              Sent from my iPhone 4s
              Rick Kulmann

              On Sep 13, 2012, at 2:00 AM, MCH <mch@...> wrote:

              > Yep. Some states are ridiculous that way. Add Florida, too. You cannot
              > transport a scanner in Florida or use one in a public place.
              > Technically, you cannot even have one delivered by UPS or FedEx
              > according to how the law is written. Of course, in those cases the
              > delivery company is in violation, not you.
              >
              > If there is an exemption for hams in KY, they should not be able to
              > confiscate the scanner if confiscation is allowed by the law. An
              > exemption is an exemption - period.
              >
              > Joe M.
              >
              > Alex wrote:
              > > Kentucky outlaws scanners? Wow, good thing I have no need to go to Kentucky. So I'll add Kentucky to the list (same as New York, don't need to go there).
              > >
              > > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "KE4JD" <ke4jd-1@...> wrote:
              > > You see I live in a state
              > >> where scanners are outlawed and though hams are exempted the way the law is
              > >> written they can confiscate the scanner, destroy it on the spot and then ask
              > >> me for my ID. I also travel to a city weekly that has a similar ban.

            • Paul Opitz
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 13 6:32 AM
                http://lmgtfy.com/?q=scanner+laws

                ________________________________
                Can someone send me a list of states that outlaw scanners.

                Thanks

                Kentucky outlaws scanners? Wow, good thing I have no need to go to Kentucky. So
                I'll add Kentucky to the list (same as New York, don't need to go there).

                --- In mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com, "KE4JD" <ke4jd-1@...> wrote:

                You see I live in a state
                > where scanners are outlawed and though hams are exempted the way the law is
                > written they can confiscate the scanner, destroy it on the spot and then ask
                > me for my ID. I also travel to a city weekly that has a similar ban.

                http://lmgtfy.com/?q=scanner+laws

              • dataman60435
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 13 1:27 PM
                  Do the RadioShack stores still sell scanners in the forbidden states??....

                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:

                  > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=scanner+laws
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Don
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 13 2:08 PM
                    http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/

                    On 9/13/2012 6:29 AM, JOHN PRICE wrote:
                    > Can someone send me a list of states that outlaw scanners.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > John
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • James F. Boehner, MD
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 13 2:51 PM
                      Google is your friend!

                      http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/

                      Note: Scanner aps on phones may (and probably are) illegal in states that ban use of scanners in motor vehicles

                      The FCC has granted a federal exemption to amateur radio operators for the use of AMATEUR RADIO units that can receive outside the ham bands. Scanners are generally not covered by this exemption.

                      In any case, "low profile" is also your friend!

                      '73 de JIM N2ZZ

                      Can someone send me a list of states that outlaw scanners.

                      Thanks

                      Kentucky outlaws scanners? Wow, good thing I have no need to go to Kentucky. So I'll add Kentucky to the list (same as New York, don't need to go there).

                      --- In mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com, "KE4JD" <ke4jd-1@...> wrote:

                      You see I live in a state
                      > where scanners are outlawed and though hams are exempted the way the law is
                      > written they can confiscate the scanner, destroy it on the spot and then ask
                      > me for my ID. I also travel to a city weekly that has a similar ban.

                    • Alex
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 13 3:14 PM
                        Well I can't add Florida since I live there. :)

                        But Florida's law is vehicle only and not scanner possession in general (such as carrying it around, fortunately) and there's no confiscation, only a fine. Public use in Florida is ok as far as I've been able to understand since the law only makes mention of vehicles. I've used mine in public frequently with no problems. More specifically, the scanner had to be connected to the vehicle as determined and clarified by the Florida Attorney General. A handheld sitting on the seat not attached to the vehicle in any way does not violate the law. That clarification eliminates the issue of USPS/UPS/FedEx being liable and also allows people to transport a scanner to events or locations(Daytona 500, the beach, etc.) where it can again be used on a person.

                        From the description for KY it seems that simply having one period was just out of the question or watch it get smashed to pieces. New York makes it restrictive to have just about anything that can receive other than a regular TV or commercial 88-108 FM radio but then again New York is just restrictive on everything.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 13 4:10 PM
                          I was slightly incorrect. The law does not specify "public places" - it
                          specifies "business establishment" (easy to confuse, as most businesses
                          are open to the public).

                          There is an opinion of the FL Attorney General that portable scanners
                          are not included in the definition of "installed", but the law also
                          excludes the transportation of scanners in vehicles, so there is a
                          conflict there.

                          In short, the law says "A person, firm, or corporation may not install
                          or transport in any motor vehicle or business establishment"...
                          (anything that can receive police or fire frequencies).

                          So, while you can use your scanner in a public place, you have to walk
                          there, I guess, as the law precludes transportation in a vehicle. And
                          you can't go into any businesses. For all practical purposes, they made
                          scanners illegal except in your own home.

                          Now, are there people who are going to install and transport scanners
                          anyway? Of course. It's just a matter of how much risk you want to
                          accept. As I said before, even UPS and FedEx break the law when
                          transporting scanners for delivery.

                          Joe M.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 13 4:14 PM
                            That's one of the better sites for such info, and has been for years.

                            Joe M.

                            Don wrote:
                            > http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/
                            >

                            > On 9/13/2012 6:29 AM, JOHN PRICE wrote:
                            >> Can someone send me a list of states that outlaw scanners.
                            >>
                            >> Thanks
                            >>
                            >> John
                            >>

                            >> ________________________________

                          • Clark Rennie
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 13 4:53 PM
                              Somehow this thread no longer has anything to do with the Subject Header
                              which I admitted was wrong information.
                              Now the thread has been hijacked as to the legality of scanners in vehicles.
                              It's really not that difficult to change the Subject.

                              Clark

                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 13 7:30 PM
                                @Clark,

                                I think it's relevant for all of us, and especially considering the investment...

                                Nice to know we are looking out for each other as a community of scanner owners...

                                On Sep 13, 2012, at 5:53 PM, Clark Rennie wrote:

                                > Somehow this thread no longer has anything to do with the Subject Header
                                > which I admitted was wrong information.
                                > Now the thread has been hijacked as to the legality of scanners in vehicles.
                                > It's really not that difficult to change the Subject.
                                >
                                > Clark
                                >
                                > At 02:51 PM 9/13/2012, you wrote:
                                >
                                > >Google is your friend!
                                > >
                                > >http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/
                                > >
                                > >Note: Scanner aps on phones may (and probably are) illegal in states that
                                > >ban use of scanners in motor vehicles
                                > >
                                > >The FCC has granted a federal exemption to amateur radio operators for the
                                > >use of AMATEUR RADIO units that can receive outside the ham
                                > >bands. Scanners are generally not covered by this exemption.
                                > >
                                > >In any case, "low profile" is also your friend!
                                > >
                                > >'73 de JIM N2ZZ

                              • Gail Wisher
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 16 12:16 PM
                                  Since Oakland moved the problem AT and T and I reloaded the latest changes from  Radio Ref my reception on this p25 increased .   It alsmost sounds like the old system.  The 396 XT is following digital and non digital as I also listen to local PD (Alameda) as they have not made the switch yet. It also  is following some handheld to handeld chatter and Dispatch to handheld and especially during street chases.. For a while there I was ready to junk this unit .

                                  /

                                  .