Re: [BCD396XT] Error in Uniden Description ?

  • mygroups2007@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 11, 2012
      Really? I'd sure like to know what mine has been doing then when I connect a GPS to it and it turns on and off systems as I enter and leave their programmed areas...... ;-)

      Ron in Eugene

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 11, 2012
        As several have replied, I am obvioulsy wrong. Not the first time.

        Clark

        At 03:42 PM 9/11/2012, you wrote:

        >Really? I'd sure like to know what mine has been doing then when I connect
        >a GPS to it and it turns on and off systems as I enter and leave their
        >programmed areas...... ;-)
        >

        >Ron in Eugene

      • KE4JD
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 12, 2012
          Hey Clark,

          I wouldn't look at it as being wrong so much as being skeptical because it
          seems almost too good to be true.

          I can tell you I WAS skeptical until I tried it with my BCD396XT and I could
          not believe it would ever work so well. It worked so well in fact I nearly
          wore out the data cable connector trying to use it on my belt with a Garmin
          60csx on one side and the scanner on the other. You see I live in a state
          where scanners are outlawed and though hams are exempted the way the law is
          written they can confiscate the scanner, destroy it on the spot and then ask
          me for my ID. I also travel to a city weekly that has a similar ban.

          The best way to learn is to ask so hook up that GPS and have a go at. You'll
          be impressed. Just review UPMan's comments on this thread to keep things in
          perspective and you just may be amazed too.

          Don, KE4JD

          _____

          At 03:42 PM 9/11/2012, you wrote:

          >Really? I'd sure like to know what mine has been doing then when I connect
          >a GPS to it and it turns on and off systems as I enter and leave their
          >programmed areas...... ;-)
          >

          >Ron in Eugene

        • Alex
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 12, 2012
            Kentucky outlaws scanners? Wow, good thing I have no need to go to Kentucky. So I'll add Kentucky to the list (same as New York, don't need to go there).

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 12, 2012
              Yep. Some states are ridiculous that way. Add Florida, too. You cannot
              transport a scanner in Florida or use one in a public place.
              Technically, you cannot even have one delivered by UPS or FedEx
              according to how the law is written. Of course, in those cases the
              delivery company is in violation, not you.

              If there is an exemption for hams in KY, they should not be able to
              confiscate the scanner if confiscation is allowed by the law. An
              exemption is an exemption - period.

              Joe M.

              Alex wrote:
              > Kentucky outlaws scanners? Wow, good thing I have no need to go to Kentucky. So I'll add Kentucky to the list (same as New York, don't need to go there).
              >
              > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "KE4JD" <ke4jd-1@...> wrote:
              > You see I live in a state
              >> where scanners are outlawed and though hams are exempted the way the law is
              >> written they can confiscate the scanner, destroy it on the spot and then ask
              >> me for my ID. I also travel to a city weekly that has a similar ban.

            • JOHN PRICE
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                Can someone send me a list of states that outlaw scanners.

                Thanks

                --- In mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com, "KE4JD" <ke4jd-1@...> wrote:

                You see I live in a state
                > where scanners are outlawed and though hams are exempted the way the law is
                > written they can confiscate the scanner, destroy it on the spot and then ask
                > me for my ID. I also travel to a city weekly that has a similar ban.

              • Rick
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                  Hi buddy! There is a law for scanners in florida? I did not know that , I was just down there for 2 weeks and carried mine everywhere and nobody said anything I guess I got lucky , so that must be the reason the highway patrol is rncrypted. Lol

                  Sent from my iPhone 4s
                  Rick Kulmann

                  On Sep 13, 2012, at 2:00 AM, MCH <mch@...> wrote:

                  > Yep. Some states are ridiculous that way. Add Florida, too. You cannot
                  > transport a scanner in Florida or use one in a public place.
                  > Technically, you cannot even have one delivered by UPS or FedEx
                  > according to how the law is written. Of course, in those cases the
                  > delivery company is in violation, not you.
                  >
                  > If there is an exemption for hams in KY, they should not be able to
                  > confiscate the scanner if confiscation is allowed by the law. An
                  > exemption is an exemption - period.
                  >
                  > Joe M.
                  >
                  > Alex wrote:
                  > > Kentucky outlaws scanners? Wow, good thing I have no need to go to Kentucky. So I'll add Kentucky to the list (same as New York, don't need to go there).
                  > >
                  > > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "KE4JD" <ke4jd-1@...> wrote:
                  > > You see I live in a state
                  > >> where scanners are outlawed and though hams are exempted the way the law is
                  > >> written they can confiscate the scanner, destroy it on the spot and then ask
                  > >> me for my ID. I also travel to a city weekly that has a similar ban.

                • Paul Opitz
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=scanner+laws

                    ________________________________
                    Can someone send me a list of states that outlaw scanners.

                    Thanks

                    Kentucky outlaws scanners? Wow, good thing I have no need to go to Kentucky. So
                    I'll add Kentucky to the list (same as New York, don't need to go there).

                    --- In mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com, "KE4JD" <ke4jd-1@...> wrote:

                    You see I live in a state
                    > where scanners are outlawed and though hams are exempted the way the law is
                    > written they can confiscate the scanner, destroy it on the spot and then ask
                    > me for my ID. I also travel to a city weekly that has a similar ban.

                    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=scanner+laws

                  • dataman60435
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                      Do the RadioShack stores still sell scanners in the forbidden states??....

                      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:

                      > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=scanner+laws
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Don
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                        http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/

                        On 9/13/2012 6:29 AM, JOHN PRICE wrote:
                        > Can someone send me a list of states that outlaw scanners.
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > John
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • James F. Boehner, MD
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                          Google is your friend!

                          http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/

                          Note: Scanner aps on phones may (and probably are) illegal in states that ban use of scanners in motor vehicles

                          The FCC has granted a federal exemption to amateur radio operators for the use of AMATEUR RADIO units that can receive outside the ham bands. Scanners are generally not covered by this exemption.

                          In any case, "low profile" is also your friend!

                          '73 de JIM N2ZZ

                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                            Well I can't add Florida since I live there. :)

                            But Florida's law is vehicle only and not scanner possession in general (such as carrying it around, fortunately) and there's no confiscation, only a fine. Public use in Florida is ok as far as I've been able to understand since the law only makes mention of vehicles. I've used mine in public frequently with no problems. More specifically, the scanner had to be connected to the vehicle as determined and clarified by the Florida Attorney General. A handheld sitting on the seat not attached to the vehicle in any way does not violate the law. That clarification eliminates the issue of USPS/UPS/FedEx being liable and also allows people to transport a scanner to events or locations(Daytona 500, the beach, etc.) where it can again be used on a person.

                            From the description for KY it seems that simply having one period was just out of the question or watch it get smashed to pieces. New York makes it restrictive to have just about anything that can receive other than a regular TV or commercial 88-108 FM radio but then again New York is just restrictive on everything.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                              I was slightly incorrect. The law does not specify "public places" - it
                              specifies "business establishment" (easy to confuse, as most businesses
                              are open to the public).

                              There is an opinion of the FL Attorney General that portable scanners
                              are not included in the definition of "installed", but the law also
                              excludes the transportation of scanners in vehicles, so there is a
                              conflict there.

                              In short, the law says "A person, firm, or corporation may not install
                              or transport in any motor vehicle or business establishment"...
                              (anything that can receive police or fire frequencies).

                              So, while you can use your scanner in a public place, you have to walk
                              there, I guess, as the law precludes transportation in a vehicle. And
                              you can't go into any businesses. For all practical purposes, they made
                              scanners illegal except in your own home.

                              Now, are there people who are going to install and transport scanners
                              anyway? Of course. It's just a matter of how much risk you want to
                              accept. As I said before, even UPS and FedEx break the law when
                              transporting scanners for delivery.

                              Joe M.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                                That's one of the better sites for such info, and has been for years.

                                Joe M.

                                Don wrote:
                                > http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/
                                >

                                > On 9/13/2012 6:29 AM, JOHN PRICE wrote:
                                >> Can someone send me a list of states that outlaw scanners.
                                >>
                                >> Thanks
                                >>
                                >> John
                                >>

                                >> ________________________________

                              • Clark Rennie
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                                  Somehow this thread no longer has anything to do with the Subject Header
                                  which I admitted was wrong information.
                                  Now the thread has been hijacked as to the legality of scanners in vehicles.
                                  It's really not that difficult to change the Subject.

                                  Clark

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                                    @Clark,

                                    I think it's relevant for all of us, and especially considering the investment...

                                    Nice to know we are looking out for each other as a community of scanner owners...

                                    On Sep 13, 2012, at 5:53 PM, Clark Rennie wrote:

                                    > Somehow this thread no longer has anything to do with the Subject Header
                                    > which I admitted was wrong information.
                                    > Now the thread has been hijacked as to the legality of scanners in vehicles.
                                    > It's really not that difficult to change the Subject.
                                    >
                                    > Clark
                                    >
                                    > At 02:51 PM 9/13/2012, you wrote:
                                    >
                                    > >Google is your friend!
                                    > >
                                    > >http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/
                                    > >
                                    > >Note: Scanner aps on phones may (and probably are) illegal in states that
                                    > >ban use of scanners in motor vehicles
                                    > >
                                    > >The FCC has granted a federal exemption to amateur radio operators for the
                                    > >use of AMATEUR RADIO units that can receive outside the ham
                                    > >bands. Scanners are generally not covered by this exemption.
                                    > >
                                    > >In any case, "low profile" is also your friend!
                                    > >
                                    > >'73 de JIM N2ZZ

                                  • Gail Wisher
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 16, 2012
                                      Since Oakland moved the problem AT and T and I reloaded the latest changes from  Radio Ref my reception on this p25 increased .   It alsmost sounds like the old system.  The 396 XT is following digital and non digital as I also listen to local PD (Alameda) as they have not made the switch yet. It also  is following some handheld to handeld chatter and Dispatch to handheld and especially during street chases.. For a while there I was ready to junk this unit .

                                      /

                                      .