Re: [BCD396XT] Enough already

  • V. Singh
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 30, 2012
      I drive 220 miles per day to and from work and usually many more on the
      weekends. I love the GPS feature. I don't have to take my eyes (and
      hands) away to fiddle with the scanner. The ability to "automatically"
      turn on and off groups is very very useful.

      *Regards,
      V. Singh
      **954 286 0007 (pager) *

    • mike
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 30, 2012
        I too spend a lot of time on the road over a wide geographical area and the GPS feature is great for this. I’m using the Uniden GPS and I think it’s performance is adequate but It seems to have a few quirks. First, it seems to have a location tolerance of plus or minus 2 or 3 miles. In other words lock/unlock can occur anywhere from 2 or 3 mile outside to 2 or 3 miles inside the radius I have programmed. Also, the locks/unlocks seem to occur in spurts rather that in real time as I pass from range to range as programmed … it’s almost as if the GPS is only checking its location every 10 minutes or so. Can anyone comment on the performance of non-Uniden GPS units?
        Mike

        >I drive 220 miles per day to and from work and usually many more on the
        >weekends. I love the GPS feature. I don't have to take my eyes (and
        >hands) away to fiddle with the scanner. The ability to "automatically"
        >turn on and off groups is very very useful.
        >
        >*Regards,
        >V. Singh
        >**954 286 0007 (pager) *
        >

        >On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>

        >> You can connect a GPS to the BCD396XT...it is quite relevant to the list.
        >> GPS
        >> for scanners has nothing to do with navigation, though. It is all about
        >> more
        >> safely and conveniently using your scanner while mobile. The GPS provides
        >> your
        >> precise location to the scanner. The scanner can then automatically lock
        >> and
        >> unlock sites and channel groups as you enter and exit their ranges, so you
        >> don't
        >> have to take your attention away from driving to hit the keypad to turn
        >> stuff on
        >> and off manually. By locking out stuff when you are exiting jurisdictions,
        >> you
        >> can limit receptio to just those comms that are relevant to where you are
        >> at the
        >> moment.

      • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 30, 2012
          At 01:02 AM 8/31/2012, you wrote:
          >You can connect a GPS to the BCD396XT...it is quite relevant to the list. GPS
          >for scanners has nothing to do with navigation, though. It is all about more
          >safely and conveniently using your scanner while mobile. The GPS
          >provides your
          >precise location to the scanner. The scanner can then automatically lock and
          >unlock sites and channel groups as you enter and exit their ranges,
          >so you don't
          >have to take your attention away from driving to hit the keypad to
          >turn stuff on
          >and off manually. By locking out stuff when you are exiting
          >jurisdictions, you
          >can limit receptio to just those comms that are relevant to where
          >you are at the
          >moment.

          I must look into this feature. It would be perfect for monitoring
          our fire service (which is what I do with my 396XT 99% of the time),
          which extends across the state. Driving with the GPS helping select
          the most appropriate channel would beat simply scanning all of them.

          73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
          http://vkradio.com
        • Ron Aubry
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 30, 2012
            Read the Manual.....Ajustable...

            "Ask not of your friends , That which your friends could not ask of you."
            God Bless....Ronald E Aubry

            To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
            From: mikekut@...
            Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 13:04:32 -0700
            Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Enough already

            I too spend a lot of time on the road over a wide geographical area and the GPS feature is great for this. I�m using the Uniden GPS and I think it�s performance is adequate but It seems to have a few quirks. First, it seems to have a location tolerance of plus or minus 2 or 3 miles. In other words lock/unlock can occur anywhere from 2 or 3 mile outside to 2 or 3 miles inside the radius I have programmed. Also, the locks/unlocks seem to occur in spurts rather that in real time as I pass from range to range as programmed � it�s almost as if the GPS is only checking its location every 10 minutes or so. Can anyone comment on the performance of non-Uniden GPS units?

            Mike

            >I drive 220 miles per day to and from work and usually many more on the

            >weekends. I love the GPS feature. I don't have to take my eyes (and

            >hands) away to fiddle with the scanner. The ability to "automatically"

            >turn on and off groups is very very useful.

            >*Regards,

            >V. Singh

            >**954 286 0007 (pager) *

            >On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:

            >> **

            >> You can connect a GPS to the BCD396XT...it is quite relevant to the list.

            >> GPS

            >> for scanners has nothing to do with navigation, though. It is all about

            >> more

            >> safely and conveniently using your scanner while mobile. The GPS provides

            >> your

            >> precise location to the scanner. The scanner can then automatically lock

            >> and

            >> unlock sites and channel groups as you enter and exit their ranges, so you

            >> don't

            >> have to take your attention away from driving to hit the keypad to turn

            >> stuff on

            >> and off manually. By locking out stuff when you are exiting jurisdictions,

            >> you

            >> can limit receptio to just those comms that are relevant to where you are

            >> at the

            >> moment.

          • tom riedel
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 30, 2012
              That's why this is a forum. Everyone can chime in. This is the 396XT
              forum which can use a gps. IT's that new contraption with the light up
              maps... Can a map read out the turns for you so you can keep your eyes on
              the road? Does it look it up by business name, or from the sound of your
              voice? Does it cover the entire country in one small package? That's why
              they are a billion dollar industry..In more cars than I guess you've
              noticed. Welcome to 2002.. Just funin with ya.. hey did you hear about
              them phones with no cords??? That you can take anywhere with you what a
              waste.. bet they do about as well as those silly home computers..who'd
              want one?

              . :) haha HAppy Friday all

              sent from my iPhone which is why everything is spelled correctly.
              Thankfully it can't auto correct sarcasm. Yet.

            • Paul Opitz
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 31, 2012
                Location is precise. However, if you have a ton of stuff set for GPS control,
                you should note that GPS checking is secondary to actually scanning. This can
                cause latency like what you are seeing. If you are truly far away from some of
                the areas and not likely to be driving into/out of their ranges, you could
                disable their SQKs so that the location check algorthm will ignore those
                systems. For an example, while have Dallas geotagged in my scanner, I seldom
                drive over there, so I leave the systems over there disabled. My latency for
                just Tarrant County is near 0 (that is, systems turn on / off at nearly the
                precisely same location every day).