Re: [BCD396XT] Alternatives to Uniden GPS

  • TLC Photo
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 29 9:14 PM
      The cable I have has "Garmin" molded into the one end. I checked my Amazon history and did not see that I ordered it there so I must have ordered directly from Garmin.

      It has the unique flat connector to the eTrex at one end and a 9 pin serial connector at the other. I ran the serial connector into a null modem and that into the serial connect of the Uniden cable.

      There is a YouTube video showing the set up. That's is what suggested it to me.

      I had to change the comm setting on the Etrex from Garmin to NMEA 4800 and 4800 baud on the Uniden.

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 30 12:11 AM
        Hi! I have a brand new serial cable. It's the serial to USB 1. If your interested let me know.

        Tom

        On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 at 3:27 AM, Brian Smithson wrote:

        > Where do you get the cable to use these older units?
        >
        > 73! Brian n8wrl
        > On Aug 28, 2012 10:38 PM, "TLC Photo" <tlc.photo@... (mailto:tlc.photo%40gmail.com)> wrote:
        >
        > > I run a Germin eTrex to the radio. I already had one so no added cost.
        > >
        > > On Aug 28, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@... (mailto:rich.n9jig%40gmail.com)> wrote:
        > >
        > > > I use a vintage Garmin GPS-III that are commonly available for chump
        > > > change at hamfests and eBay. Anything that can output NMEA data to a
        > > > serial port will work, stay away from USB Only devices, which are what
        > > > most of the current Garmin, TomTom and other devices are.

        > > puck style GPS receivers. Is it possible to use a less expensive
        > > alternative or do I need to use the Uniden model?

        > > > --
        > > > Rich Carlson, N9JIG

      • Uniden UPMan
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 30 6:45 AM
          That cable won't help with connecting a GPS.

          UpMan