Re: [BCD396XT] Alternatives to Uniden GPS

  • Rich Carlson
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 29, 2012
      The older Garmin cables are still available in places here and there.
      I saw them at Bass Pro Shop the other day. (These cables have the
      keyed round 4-pin connector for the GPS to tinned ends.)

      You may need to wire them to a DB9 to match the serial port on the scanner.

      On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 5:27 AM, Brian Smithson <n8wrl@...> wrote:
      > Where do you get the cable to use these older units?
      >
      > 73! Brian n8wrl
      > On Aug 28, 2012 10:38 PM, "TLC Photo" <tlc.photo@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I run a Germin eTrex to the radio. I already had one so no added cost.
      >>
      >> On Aug 28, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> > I use a vintage Garmin GPS-III that are commonly available for chump
      >> > change at hamfests and eBay. Anything that can output NMEA data to a
      >> > serial port will work, stay away from USB Only devices, which are what
      >> > most of the current Garmin, TomTom and other devices are.

      >> puck style GPS receivers. Is it possible to use a less expensive
      >> alternative or do I need to use the Uniden model?

      >> > --
      >> > Rich Carlson, N9JIG

      Rich Carlson, N9JIG
    • TLC Photo
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 29, 2012
        The cable I have has "Garmin" molded into the one end. I checked my Amazon history and did not see that I ordered it there so I must have ordered directly from Garmin.

        It has the unique flat connector to the eTrex at one end and a 9 pin serial connector at the other. I ran the serial connector into a null modem and that into the serial connect of the Uniden cable.

        There is a YouTube video showing the set up. That's is what suggested it to me.

        I had to change the comm setting on the Etrex from Garmin to NMEA 4800 and 4800 baud on the Uniden.

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 30, 2012
          Hi! I have a brand new serial cable. It's the serial to USB 1. If your interested let me know.

          Tom

          On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 at 3:27 AM, Brian Smithson wrote:

          > Where do you get the cable to use these older units?
          >
          > 73! Brian n8wrl
          > On Aug 28, 2012 10:38 PM, "TLC Photo" <tlc.photo@... (mailto:tlc.photo%40gmail.com)> wrote:
          >
          > > I run a Germin eTrex to the radio. I already had one so no added cost.
          > >
          > > On Aug 28, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@... (mailto:rich.n9jig%40gmail.com)> wrote:
          > >
          > > > I use a vintage Garmin GPS-III that are commonly available for chump
          > > > change at hamfests and eBay. Anything that can output NMEA data to a
          > > > serial port will work, stay away from USB Only devices, which are what
          > > > most of the current Garmin, TomTom and other devices are.

          > > puck style GPS receivers. Is it possible to use a less expensive
          > > alternative or do I need to use the Uniden model?

          > > > --
          > > > Rich Carlson, N9JIG

        • Uniden UPMan
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 30, 2012
            That cable won't help with connecting a GPS.

            UpMan