Alternatives to Uniden GPS

  • lancehomer
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 27, 2012
      The Uniden GPS seems expensive compared to some alternative hockey puck style GPS receivers. Is it possible to use a less expensive alternative or do I need to use the Uniden model?

      Thanks,
      Lance
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 27, 2012
        You can use any GPS that has a NMEA interface.
        I use some from Deluo and Byonics. They are
        essentially the same thing as the Uniden model.

        Joe M.

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 28, 2012
          I don't know how much the UNIDEN one is but I'm using a GARMIN that cost
          around $80 and works great.

          On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:16 AM, lancehomer <k7lqh@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > The Uniden GPS seems expensive compared to some alternative hockey puck
          > style GPS receivers. Is it possible to use a less expensive alternative or
          > do I need to use the Uniden model?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Lance

        • Rich Carlson
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 28, 2012
            I use a vintage Garmin GPS-III that are commonly available for chump
            change at hamfests and eBay. Anything that can output NMEA data to a
            serial port will work, stay away from USB Only devices, which are what
            most of the current Garmin, TomTom and other devices are.

            --
            Rich Carlson, N9JIG
          • lancehomer
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 28, 2012
              I appreciate everyone's responses.

              I take it that there isn't a way to cable up the more common and less expensive USB GPS's to the Uniden. Shoot!

              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:

              > I use a vintage Garmin GPS-III that are commonly available for chump
              > change at hamfests and eBay. Anything that can output NMEA data to a
              > serial port will work, stay away from USB Only devices, which are what
              > most of the current Garmin, TomTom and other devices are.
              >
              > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:16 AM, lancehomer <k7lqh@...> wrote:
              > > The Uniden GPS seems expensive compared to some alternative hockey puck style GPS receivers. Is it possible to use a less expensive alternative or do I need to use the Uniden model?
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Lance
              > >

              > --
              > Rich Carlson, N9JIG

            • Upman
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 28, 2012
                The standard for communicating GPS coordinates between devices is NMEA0183, which specifies a serial link at 4800 BPS. Unfortunately, there are several problems with USB interface GPS devices:

                1) For the most part, they do not output location data at all, even out the USB interface.

                2) For a USB client device to communicate with a USB host device, the host device must load drivers specific to the client device. There is no way to load drivers on a scanner.

                Note, however, that several Garmin models with USB can output NMEA0183 format data through the use of a special cable. Argent Data (argentdata.com) sells such cables for around $50.

                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "lancehomer" <k7lqh@...> wrote:

                > I appreciate everyone's responses.
                >
                > I take it that there isn't a way to cable up the more common and less expensive USB GPS's to the Uniden. Shoot!
                >
                > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I use a vintage Garmin GPS-III that are commonly available for chump
                > > change at hamfests and eBay. Anything that can output NMEA data to a
                > > serial port will work, stay away from USB Only devices, which are what
                > > most of the current Garmin, TomTom and other devices are.
                > >
                > > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:16 AM, lancehomer <k7lqh@> wrote:
                > > > The Uniden GPS seems expensive compared to some alternative hockey puck style GPS receivers. Is it possible to use a less expensive alternative or do I need to use the Uniden model?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > > Lance
                > > >

                > > --
                > > Rich Carlson, N9JIG

              • TLC Photo
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 28, 2012
                  I run a Germin eTrex to the radio. I already had one so no added cost.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 29, 2012
                    Where do you get the cable to use these older units?

                    73! Brian n8wrl
                    On Aug 28, 2012 10:38 PM, "TLC Photo" <tlc.photo@...> wrote:

                    > I run a Germin eTrex to the radio. I already had one so no added cost.
                    >
                    > On Aug 28, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I use a vintage Garmin GPS-III that are commonly available for chump
                    > > change at hamfests and eBay. Anything that can output NMEA data to a
                    > > serial port will work, stay away from USB Only devices, which are what
                    > > most of the current Garmin, TomTom and other devices are.
                    > >
                    > > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:16 AM, lancehomer <k7lqh@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > > The Uniden GPS seems expensive compared to some alternative hockey
                    > puck style GPS receivers. Is it possible to use a less expensive
                    > alternative or do I need to use the Uniden model?
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks,
                    > > > Lance
                    > > >

                    > > --
                    > > Rich Carlson, N9JIG

                  • Rich Carlson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 29, 2012
                      The older Garmin cables are still available in places here and there.
                      I saw them at Bass Pro Shop the other day. (These cables have the
                      keyed round 4-pin connector for the GPS to tinned ends.)

                      You may need to wire them to a DB9 to match the serial port on the scanner.

                      On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 5:27 AM, Brian Smithson <n8wrl@...> wrote:
                      > Where do you get the cable to use these older units?
                      >
                      > 73! Brian n8wrl
                      > On Aug 28, 2012 10:38 PM, "TLC Photo" <tlc.photo@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> I run a Germin eTrex to the radio. I already had one so no added cost.
                      >>
                      >> On Aug 28, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> > I use a vintage Garmin GPS-III that are commonly available for chump
                      >> > change at hamfests and eBay. Anything that can output NMEA data to a
                      >> > serial port will work, stay away from USB Only devices, which are what
                      >> > most of the current Garmin, TomTom and other devices are.

                      >> puck style GPS receivers. Is it possible to use a less expensive
                      >> alternative or do I need to use the Uniden model?

                      >> > --
                      >> > Rich Carlson, N9JIG

                      Rich Carlson, N9JIG
                    • TLC Photo
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 29, 2012
                        The cable I have has "Garmin" molded into the one end. I checked my Amazon history and did not see that I ordered it there so I must have ordered directly from Garmin.

                        It has the unique flat connector to the eTrex at one end and a 9 pin serial connector at the other. I ran the serial connector into a null modem and that into the serial connect of the Uniden cable.

                        There is a YouTube video showing the set up. That's is what suggested it to me.

                        I had to change the comm setting on the Etrex from Garmin to NMEA 4800 and 4800 baud on the Uniden.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 30, 2012
                          Hi! I have a brand new serial cable. It's the serial to USB 1. If your interested let me know.

                          Tom

                          On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 at 3:27 AM, Brian Smithson wrote:

                          > Where do you get the cable to use these older units?
                          >
                          > 73! Brian n8wrl
                          > On Aug 28, 2012 10:38 PM, "TLC Photo" <tlc.photo@... (mailto:tlc.photo%40gmail.com)> wrote:
                          >
                          > > I run a Germin eTrex to the radio. I already had one so no added cost.
                          > >
                          > > On Aug 28, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@... (mailto:rich.n9jig%40gmail.com)> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > I use a vintage Garmin GPS-III that are commonly available for chump
                          > > > change at hamfests and eBay. Anything that can output NMEA data to a
                          > > > serial port will work, stay away from USB Only devices, which are what
                          > > > most of the current Garmin, TomTom and other devices are.

                          > > puck style GPS receivers. Is it possible to use a less expensive
                          > > alternative or do I need to use the Uniden model?

                          > > > --
                          > > > Rich Carlson, N9JIG

                        • Uniden UPMan
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 30, 2012
                            That cable won't help with connecting a GPS.

                            UpMan