Scanning Help

  • Kristy
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 11, 2012
      I've had my scanner for well over a year and never been able to figure it out. I have two groups: a conventional system and the ARMER group. My scanner will only scan the conventational group which has no channels in it. How do I get it to scan the ARMER system instead of the other one?
    • Paul Opitz
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 11, 2012
        The answer depends on why ARMER isn't being scanned. It could be:
        * Enable the SQK assigned to the nearest ARMER site and disable the SQK
        assigned to the conventional system.
        * Unlock the site and lock out the conventional system.
        * Program the site correctly and delet the conventional system.
        * Enable the GQK assigned to the channel group(s) in the ARMER system.
        * Unlock the channel group(s) in the ARMER system.
        * Program some channels into a channel group in the ARMER system.
        * ...

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012
          I already have several channels programmed into the ARMER system. I can see them when I try to edit the system. But I can't get it to scan. What is SQK and GQK?

          As I was writing this, I noticed that there were no frequencies stored under the sit name. Would that matter?

          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:

          > The answer depends on why ARMER isn't being scanned. It could be:
          > * Enable the SQK assigned to the nearest ARMER site and disable the SQK
          > assigned to the conventional system.
          > * Unlock the site and lock out the conventional system.
          > * Program the site correctly and delet the conventional system.
          > * Enable the GQK assigned to the channel group(s) in the ARMER system.
          > * Unlock the channel group(s) in the ARMER system.
          > * Program some channels into a channel group in the ARMER system.
          > * ...
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Uniden UPMan
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012
            If there are no frequencies in the system, then the scanner will have no ability to scan or receive it. Matters tremendously.

            SQK= System or Site Quick Key.
            GQK=Group Quick Key

            http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/publish/QuickKeys.html

            UpMan

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012
              I entered some frequencies in the Conventional System and it is now scanning those. But I have several talkgroups stored under the P-25 system but it won't can those. It will only scan the Conventional System.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012
                your conventional system and your trunk system need to be separate.

                Is your trunk system locked out?

                Do you have a quick key assigned to it?

              • mygroups2007@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012
                  Kristy,

                  Talkgroups are not frequencies. As UPMan said, you will need to enter the frequencies for the trunk system into the site.

                  Ron in Eugene

                  On Jul 13, 2012, at 9:32 AM, Kristy wrote:

                  > I entered some frequencies in the Conventional System and it is now scanning those. But I have several talkgroups stored under the P-25 system but it won't can those. It will only scan the Conventional System.
                  > > >________________________________

                • Shawn Kurschner
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012
                    Kristy, where is the system? What city and state?

                    *Shawn Kurschner*

                    *(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

                    *Manitowoc, WI USA
                    *

                  • Ron Aubry
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012
                      Kristy, You should get a subscription to Radio Refferance first, then Download FREESCAN so you can program your system on the Computer. Third you need to buy or download the easy version of the Manual, and read, read, read, untill you understand how to enter your information and how to to program the differant types of systems. The 396XT is NOT a beginners scanner, and with the help of Radioreferance and the manual you will soon get the hang of it. Use Freescan to view differant typs of programs so you can see how they are programed. The cost of the Radio referance Membership is well worth the knowledge you will get from them not to mention the free programs. All you have to do is download and then uploAD TO YOUR SCANNER. Good Luck...

                      "Ask not of your friends , That which your friends could not ask of you."
                      God Bless....Ronald E Aubry

                      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
                      From: ziebarth715@...
                      Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 15:32:25 +0000
                      Subject: [BCD396XT] Re: Scanning Help

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012
                        Minnesota, Isanti County

                        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Kurschner <skurschner1672@...> wrote:

                        > Kristy, where is the system? What city and state?
                        >
                        > On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Kristy <ziebarth715@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > I entered some frequencies in the Conventional System and it is now
                        > > scanning those. But I have several talkgroups stored under the P-25 system
                        > > but it won't can those. It will only scan the Conventional System.
                        > >
                        > > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Uniden UPMan <uniden.upman@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > If there are no frequencies in the system, then the scanner will have no
                        > > ability to scan or receive it. Matters tremendously.
                        > > > SQK= System or Site Quick Key.
                        > > > GQK=Group Quick Key
                        > > > http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/publish/QuickKeys.html
                        > > >
                        > > > UpMan
                        > > > UpMan FAQ: http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/UpMan -- Please read
                        > > before emailing me directly

                      • Kristy
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012
                          As far as I know its not locked out. And no quick key.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012
                            I had a subscription to RR but it expired. That is how I programmed the scanner when I purchased it. I still have all the info saved on my computer as far as the talkgroup ID's. But my scanner just won't scan that system no matter what I do.

                            I even tried going through the Uniden manual and recreated a system with the ID's and it still won't scan.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012
                              As others have mentioned, the site frequencies are *required* in order
                              to scan a trunk system. You cannot scan it just with the TGIDs.

                              Joe M.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012
                                Assign that system a quick key of your choice.

                                You can assign that at the system level via the menu key.

                                Do the sites for your system have frequencies programmed into them?

                              • Doug Johnson
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012
                                  Gidday Ron,

                                  You certainly hit the nail right on the head.

                                  I think what you said should be put on our web page and also in the email when

                                  they join as this would stop a lot of unnecessary emails.

                                  These scanners require alot of effort and research to understand them and get them going.

                                  Definitely not a beginners scanner !

                                  Regards,

                                  Doug VK2XLJ

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012
                                    Thank you everyone for your help today. I renewed my subscription to RR. I deleted all the systems I had on my scanner and started from scratch. So far it seems to be working. Haven't heard my local county yet but I'll give it some time. Thanks again!

                                    --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Kristy" <ziebarth715@...> wrote:

                                    > I've had my scanner for well over a year and never been able to figure it out. I have two groups: a conventional system and the ARMER group. My scanner will only scan the conventational group which has no channels in it. How do I get it to scan the ARMER system instead of the other one?

                                  • Gail Wisher
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 8, 2012
                                      It has been reported that OPD has sloved one of its problems with the p25 system . An AT and T transmiting any near the xmtr site was causing interference and once it was removed the system proformence improved.

                                      .