Re: [BCD396XT] Squealing

  • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2012
      At 11:47 AM 7/6/2012, you wrote:
      >In the past few weeks, I've been getting some ungodly squealing on
      >my BCD296XT. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it
      >often over powers the transmissions. I've checked with a friend that
      >has the same radio, and he hears it too. I don't hear it on my BC15
      >nor do I believe any of the PD, Fire and EMS units hear the
      >squealing on their end.

      Only on a particular frequency? Sounds like something internal to
      the scanner, like a birdie. I thought you could shuffle the IF
      frequency on the 396 around a little to minimise these issues.

      73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
      http://vkradio.com
    • T
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2012
        I never thought to check with the antenna removed. I am using the Radio Shack 800 Mhz antenna. My buddy most likely uses the stock antenna.

        > does it do this with the antenna removed?
        >

        > On Jul 5, 2012, at 8:23 PM, MCH wrote:
        >
        > > For one unit, I would say it's low voltage on the batteries, but two
        > > doing it is odd - especially when other scanners are not doing it. What
        > > are the details? What frequency/mode/CTCSS(if any)/Etc.
        > >
        > > Does turning the volume down affect it?
        > >
        > > Joe M.
        > >
        > > T wrote:
        > > > In the past few weeks, I've been getting some ungodly squealing on my BCD296XT. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it often over powers the transmissions. I've checked with a friend that has the same radio, and he hears it too. I don't hear it on my BC15 nor do I believe any of the PD, Fire and EMS units hear the squealing on their end.
        > > >
        > > > The only thing I can isolate is the the noise only happens on Northampton County, PA freqs.
        > > >
        > > > Anyone else get squealing?

      • T
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2012
          Happens pretty much on the freqs listed on this website, but not all. Mainly the PD freqs and a few of the fire and ems.

          http://www.nc911.org/html/frequencies.html

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2012
            You can. It's called IF exchange (or IFX). (FUNC-4 on the XT)

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2012
              At 01:13 AM 7/7/2012, you wrote:
              >You can. It's called IF exchange (or IFX). (FUNC-4 on the XT)

              I knew I'd read it somewhere. That would be worth a try. :)

              73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
              http://vkradio.com