Squealing

  • T
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5 6:47 PM
      In the past few weeks, I've been getting some ungodly squealing on my BCD296XT. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it often over powers the transmissions. I've checked with a friend that has the same radio, and he hears it too. I don't hear it on my BC15 nor do I believe any of the PD, Fire and EMS units hear the squealing on their end.

      The only thing I can isolate is the the noise only happens on Northampton County, PA freqs.

      Anyone else get squealing?
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5 7:23 PM
        For one unit, I would say it's low voltage on the batteries, but two
        doing it is odd - especially when other scanners are not doing it. What
        are the details? What frequency/mode/CTCSS(if any)/Etc.

        Does turning the volume down affect it?

        Joe M.

        T wrote:
        > In the past few weeks, I've been getting some ungodly squealing on my BCD296XT. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it often over powers the transmissions. I've checked with a friend that has the same radio, and he hears it too. I don't hear it on my BC15 nor do I believe any of the PD, Fire and EMS units hear the squealing on their end.
        >
        > The only thing I can isolate is the the noise only happens on Northampton County, PA freqs.
        >
        > Anyone else get squealing?

      • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5 7:26 PM
          At 11:47 AM 7/6/2012, you wrote:
          >In the past few weeks, I've been getting some ungodly squealing on
          >my BCD296XT. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it
          >often over powers the transmissions. I've checked with a friend that
          >has the same radio, and he hears it too. I don't hear it on my BC15
          >nor do I believe any of the PD, Fire and EMS units hear the
          >squealing on their end.

          Only on a particular frequency? Sounds like something internal to
          the scanner, like a birdie. I thought you could shuffle the IF
          frequency on the 396 around a little to minimise these issues.

          73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
          http://vkradio.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5 7:51 PM
            does it do this with the antenna removed?

            On Jul 5, 2012, at 8:23 PM, MCH wrote:

            > For one unit, I would say it's low voltage on the batteries, but two
            > doing it is odd - especially when other scanners are not doing it. What
            > are the details? What frequency/mode/CTCSS(if any)/Etc.
            >
            > Does turning the volume down affect it?
            >
            > Joe M.
            >
            > T wrote:
            > > In the past few weeks, I've been getting some ungodly squealing on my BCD296XT. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it often over powers the transmissions. I've checked with a friend that has the same radio, and he hears it too. I don't hear it on my BC15 nor do I believe any of the PD, Fire and EMS units hear the squealing on their end.
            > >
            > > The only thing I can isolate is the the noise only happens on Northampton County, PA freqs.
            > >
            > > Anyone else get squealing?

          • T
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6 6:57 AM
              Turning the volume down only results in a lower volume squeal.

              Pretty much any of the frequencies on this site, but mainly the PD freqs and some of the Fire and EMS freqs.

              http://www.nc911.org/html/frequencies.html

              > For one unit, I would say it's low voltage on the batteries, but two
              > doing it is odd - especially when other scanners are not doing it. What
              > are the details? What frequency/mode/CTCSS(if any)/Etc.
              >
              > Does turning the volume down affect it?
              >
              > Joe M.
              >
              > T wrote:
              > > In the past few weeks, I've been getting some ungodly squealing on my BCD296XT. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it often over powers the transmissions. I've checked with a friend that has the same radio, and he hears it too. I don't hear it on my BC15 nor do I believe any of the PD, Fire and EMS units hear the squealing on their end.
              > >
              > > The only thing I can isolate is the the noise only happens on Northampton County, PA freqs.
              > >
              > > Anyone else get squealing?

            • T
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 6 7:00 AM
                I never thought to check with the antenna removed. I am using the Radio Shack 800 Mhz antenna. My buddy most likely uses the stock antenna.

                > does it do this with the antenna removed?
                >

                > On Jul 5, 2012, at 8:23 PM, MCH wrote:
                >
                > > For one unit, I would say it's low voltage on the batteries, but two
                > > doing it is odd - especially when other scanners are not doing it. What
                > > are the details? What frequency/mode/CTCSS(if any)/Etc.
                > >
                > > Does turning the volume down affect it?
                > >
                > > Joe M.
                > >
                > > T wrote:
                > > > In the past few weeks, I've been getting some ungodly squealing on my BCD296XT. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it often over powers the transmissions. I've checked with a friend that has the same radio, and he hears it too. I don't hear it on my BC15 nor do I believe any of the PD, Fire and EMS units hear the squealing on their end.
                > > >
                > > > The only thing I can isolate is the the noise only happens on Northampton County, PA freqs.
                > > >
                > > > Anyone else get squealing?

              • T
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 6 7:01 AM
                  Happens pretty much on the freqs listed on this website, but not all. Mainly the PD freqs and a few of the fire and ems.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 6 8:13 AM
                    You can. It's called IF exchange (or IFX). (FUNC-4 on the XT)

                    Joe M.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 6 5:11 PM
                      At 01:13 AM 7/7/2012, you wrote:
                      >You can. It's called IF exchange (or IFX). (FUNC-4 on the XT)

                      I knew I'd read it somewhere. That would be worth a try. :)

                      73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                      http://vkradio.com