Re: [BCD396XT] 396XT

  • OB
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 30, 2012
      I think you'll find reading here & other forums the speakers have a common problem of failing. I found mine failed then came back then failed permanently after it held out at 7 without failing (in the usual 10 minutes).

      OB

      Sent from my iPhone

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2012
        I've read virtually every message on this forum, and while I've seen
        maybe a dozen cases of speaker issues (small issue in the several
        thousands sold), I would hardly call it "something to be prepared to
        happen" any more than I would say "be prepared for lightning to strike
        your house" (which is probably more likely).

        Joe M.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1, 2012
          Nope. No clipping, no low audio, no distortion, no issues of any kind.
          Again, I think the key is to have the channels programmed correctly.
          This used to be a really huge problem when NFM systems started to become
          popular. Several people were complaining about low audio when the
          problem was that the channel was not programmed for NFM.

          Also, if I'm in a more noisy environment, I will run the volume at or
          near full. Still I have not had any speaker issues.

          Joe M.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1, 2012
            Thanks Joe.

            On Jul 1, 2012, at 2:44 PM, MCH wrote:

            > Nope. No clipping, no low audio, no distortion, no issues of any kind.
            > Again, I think the key is to have the channels programmed correctly.
            > This used to be a really huge problem when NFM systems started to become
            > popular. Several people were complaining about low audio when the
            > problem was that the channel was not programmed for NFM.
            >
            > Also, if I'm in a more noisy environment, I will run the volume at or
            > near full. Still I have not had any speaker issues.
            >
            > Joe M.
            >
            > Lance wrote:
            > > Really? Does it clip at that level Joe?
            > >

            > > On Jun 30, 2012, at 6:14 PM, MCH wrote:
            > >
            > >> Huh? I usually have my volume at 10 or so, and I've not had any issues.
            > >>
            > >> Joe M.

          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 1, 2012
              I've had mine for a year now. Scanning multiple agencies, some NFM and some FM. I have them programmed appropriately for each. I run my volume at 10 12 and sometimes 15 in my truck. No speaker issue here either.
            • joe@polcari.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 2, 2012
                Mine is always on 15 and has been since I got it years ago.Still sounds good.Maybe I should get an external speaker, huh? ----- Original Message -----From: "E Dale Tanksley" >;daletanksley@...;barry-n8dad@...

              • David
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 7, 2012
                  Run mine at 12-13 for the last two or three years every day at work. Speaker is fine. Bit of clipping on Aircraft Band above 13. YMMV

                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, OB <ob1309@...> wrote:

                  > Be prepared for the speaker to go if you have vole greater than 7.
                  >
                  > OB
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On 30 Jun 2012, at 12:46, "N8DAD" <barry-n8dad@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > thinking of ordering the 396XT on Monday..
                  > >
                  > > Anyone give me any idea as having a 996XT and now getting
                  > > the 396XT.. anything i should no about before ordering this????
                  > >
                  > > N8DAD

                • OB
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 9, 2012
                    I am envious as mine died in less than a month out of the box...

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On 8 Jul 2012, at 05:53, "David" <davidmc36@...> wrote:

                    > Run mine at 12-13 for the last two or three years every day at work. Speaker is fine. Bit of clipping on Aircraft Band above 13. YMMV
                    >
                    > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, OB <ob1309@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Be prepared for the speaker to go if you have vole greater than 7.
                    > >
                    > > OB
                    > >
                    > > Sent from my iPhone
                    > >
                    > > On 30 Jun 2012, at 12:46, "N8DAD" <barry-n8dad@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > thinking of ordering the 396XT on Monday..
                    > > >
                    > > > Anyone give me any idea as having a 996XT and now getting
                    > > > the 396XT.. anything i should no about before ordering this????
                    > > >
                    > > > N8DAD

                  • keith
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 10, 2012
                      I work in a building that's kind of noisy and I have to run volume at least 12 or sometimes 15 for 8 hours. For 1 1\2 years. And so far so good.
                      Sent from my BlackBerry® by Boost Mobile