Re: [BCD396XT] 396XT

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 30, 2012
      I will also add that my channels are all programmed correctly - FM for
      FM channels and NFM for NFM channels. I can see how having a FM channel
      set to NFM mixed with a high volume level (higher than 10) might cause
      the audio amp or speaker to be overdriven. Some people actually promote
      doing this to get 'a little extra volume' out of the unit. I would *not*
      be one of those people.

      Joe M.

      MCH wrote:
      > Huh? I usually have my volume at 10 or so, and I've not had any issues.
      >
      > Joe M.
      >
      > OB wrote:
      >> Be prepared for the speaker to go if you have vole greater than 7.
      >>
      >> OB
      >>
      >> Sent from my iPhone
      >>
      >> On 30 Jun 2012, at 12:46, "N8DAD" <barry-n8dad@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> thinking of ordering the 396XT on Monday..
      >>>
      >>> Anyone give me any idea as having a 996XT and now getting
      >>> the 396XT.. anything i should no about before ordering this????
      >>>
      >>> N8DAD

    • OB
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 30, 2012
        I think you'll find reading here & other forums the speakers have a common problem of failing. I found mine failed then came back then failed permanently after it held out at 7 without failing (in the usual 10 minutes).

        OB

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1, 2012
          Really? Does it clip at that level Joe?

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1, 2012
            I've read virtually every message on this forum, and while I've seen
            maybe a dozen cases of speaker issues (small issue in the several
            thousands sold), I would hardly call it "something to be prepared to
            happen" any more than I would say "be prepared for lightning to strike
            your house" (which is probably more likely).

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 1, 2012
              Nope. No clipping, no low audio, no distortion, no issues of any kind.
              Again, I think the key is to have the channels programmed correctly.
              This used to be a really huge problem when NFM systems started to become
              popular. Several people were complaining about low audio when the
              problem was that the channel was not programmed for NFM.

              Also, if I'm in a more noisy environment, I will run the volume at or
              near full. Still I have not had any speaker issues.

              Joe M.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 1, 2012
                Thanks Joe.

                On Jul 1, 2012, at 2:44 PM, MCH wrote:

                > Nope. No clipping, no low audio, no distortion, no issues of any kind.
                > Again, I think the key is to have the channels programmed correctly.
                > This used to be a really huge problem when NFM systems started to become
                > popular. Several people were complaining about low audio when the
                > problem was that the channel was not programmed for NFM.
                >
                > Also, if I'm in a more noisy environment, I will run the volume at or
                > near full. Still I have not had any speaker issues.
                >
                > Joe M.
                >
                > Lance wrote:
                > > Really? Does it clip at that level Joe?
                > >

                > > On Jun 30, 2012, at 6:14 PM, MCH wrote:
                > >
                > >> Huh? I usually have my volume at 10 or so, and I've not had any issues.
                > >>
                > >> Joe M.

              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 1, 2012
                  I've had mine for a year now. Scanning multiple agencies, some NFM and some FM. I have them programmed appropriately for each. I run my volume at 10 12 and sometimes 15 in my truck. No speaker issue here either.
                • joe@polcari.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 2, 2012
                    Mine is always on 15 and has been since I got it years ago.Still sounds good.Maybe I should get an external speaker, huh? ----- Original Message -----From: "E Dale Tanksley" >;daletanksley@...;barry-n8dad@...

                  • David
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 7, 2012
                      Run mine at 12-13 for the last two or three years every day at work. Speaker is fine. Bit of clipping on Aircraft Band above 13. YMMV

                      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, OB <ob1309@...> wrote:

                      > Be prepared for the speaker to go if you have vole greater than 7.
                      >
                      > OB
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPhone
                      >
                      > On 30 Jun 2012, at 12:46, "N8DAD" <barry-n8dad@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > thinking of ordering the 396XT on Monday..
                      > >
                      > > Anyone give me any idea as having a 996XT and now getting
                      > > the 396XT.. anything i should no about before ordering this????
                      > >
                      > > N8DAD

                    • OB
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 9, 2012
                        I am envious as mine died in less than a month out of the box...

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On 8 Jul 2012, at 05:53, "David" <davidmc36@...> wrote:

                        > Run mine at 12-13 for the last two or three years every day at work. Speaker is fine. Bit of clipping on Aircraft Band above 13. YMMV
                        >
                        > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, OB <ob1309@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Be prepared for the speaker to go if you have vole greater than 7.
                        > >
                        > > OB
                        > >
                        > > Sent from my iPhone
                        > >
                        > > On 30 Jun 2012, at 12:46, "N8DAD" <barry-n8dad@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > thinking of ordering the 396XT on Monday..
                        > > >
                        > > > Anyone give me any idea as having a 996XT and now getting
                        > > > the 396XT.. anything i should no about before ordering this????
                        > > >
                        > > > N8DAD

                      • keith
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 10, 2012
                          I work in a building that's kind of noisy and I have to run volume at least 12 or sometimes 15 for 8 hours. For 1 1\2 years. And so far so good.
                          Sent from my BlackBerry® by Boost Mobile