396XT

  • N8DAD
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 29, 2012
      thinking of ordering the 396XT on Monday..

      Anyone give me any idea as having a 996XT and now getting
      the 396XT.. anything i should no about before ordering this????

      N8DAD
    • DavidC
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 30, 2012
        Just that I am jealous you will have both! I have had the 396 for a while, Love it as I do all my Uniden units.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 30, 2012
          Great Radio...

          Go for it...

          On Jun 29, 2012, at 8:46 PM, N8DAD wrote:

          > thinking of ordering the 396XT on Monday..
          >
          > Anyone give me any idea as having a 996XT and now getting
          > the 396XT.. anything i should no about before ordering this????
          >
          > N8DAD

        • dataman60435
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 30, 2012
            General info , it decodes the ILL-Starcom 700/800 Digital system fantastic.....

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "N8DAD" <barry-n8dad@...> wrote:

            > thinking of ordering the 396XT on Monday..
            >
            > Anyone give me any idea as having a 996XT and now getting
            > the 396XT.. anything i should no about before ordering this????
            >
            > N8DAD

          • OB
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 30, 2012
              Be prepared for the speaker to go if you have vole greater than 7.

              OB

              Sent from my iPhone

              On 30 Jun 2012, at 12:46, "N8DAD" <barry-n8dad@...> wrote:

              > thinking of ordering the 396XT on Monday..
              >
              > Anyone give me any idea as having a 996XT and now getting
              > the 396XT.. anything i should no about before ordering this????
              >
              > N8DAD

            • E Dale Tanksley
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 30, 2012
                Mine started working good after a year of wondering about it

                Sent from my Windows Phone
                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 30, 2012
                  Huh? I usually have my volume at 10 or so, and I've not had any issues.

                  Joe M.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 30, 2012
                    I will also add that my channels are all programmed correctly - FM for
                    FM channels and NFM for NFM channels. I can see how having a FM channel
                    set to NFM mixed with a high volume level (higher than 10) might cause
                    the audio amp or speaker to be overdriven. Some people actually promote
                    doing this to get 'a little extra volume' out of the unit. I would *not*
                    be one of those people.

                    Joe M.

                    MCH wrote:
                    > Huh? I usually have my volume at 10 or so, and I've not had any issues.
                    >
                    > Joe M.
                    >
                    > OB wrote:
                    >> Be prepared for the speaker to go if you have vole greater than 7.
                    >>
                    >> OB
                    >>
                    >> Sent from my iPhone
                    >>
                    >> On 30 Jun 2012, at 12:46, "N8DAD" <barry-n8dad@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> thinking of ordering the 396XT on Monday..
                    >>>
                    >>> Anyone give me any idea as having a 996XT and now getting
                    >>> the 396XT.. anything i should no about before ordering this????
                    >>>
                    >>> N8DAD

                  • OB
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 30, 2012
                      I think you'll find reading here & other forums the speakers have a common problem of failing. I found mine failed then came back then failed permanently after it held out at 7 without failing (in the usual 10 minutes).

                      OB

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 1 11:14 AM
                        Really? Does it clip at that level Joe?

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 1 1:37 PM
                          I've read virtually every message on this forum, and while I've seen
                          maybe a dozen cases of speaker issues (small issue in the several
                          thousands sold), I would hardly call it "something to be prepared to
                          happen" any more than I would say "be prepared for lightning to strike
                          your house" (which is probably more likely).

                          Joe M.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 1 1:44 PM
                            Nope. No clipping, no low audio, no distortion, no issues of any kind.
                            Again, I think the key is to have the channels programmed correctly.
                            This used to be a really huge problem when NFM systems started to become
                            popular. Several people were complaining about low audio when the
                            problem was that the channel was not programmed for NFM.

                            Also, if I'm in a more noisy environment, I will run the volume at or
                            near full. Still I have not had any speaker issues.

                            Joe M.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 1 1:55 PM
                              Thanks Joe.

                              On Jul 1, 2012, at 2:44 PM, MCH wrote:

                              > Nope. No clipping, no low audio, no distortion, no issues of any kind.
                              > Again, I think the key is to have the channels programmed correctly.
                              > This used to be a really huge problem when NFM systems started to become
                              > popular. Several people were complaining about low audio when the
                              > problem was that the channel was not programmed for NFM.
                              >
                              > Also, if I'm in a more noisy environment, I will run the volume at or
                              > near full. Still I have not had any speaker issues.
                              >
                              > Joe M.
                              >
                              > Lance wrote:
                              > > Really? Does it clip at that level Joe?
                              > >

                              > > On Jun 30, 2012, at 6:14 PM, MCH wrote:
                              > >
                              > >> Huh? I usually have my volume at 10 or so, and I've not had any issues.
                              > >>
                              > >> Joe M.

                            • Jeff
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 1 2:02 PM
                                I've had mine for a year now. Scanning multiple agencies, some NFM and some FM. I have them programmed appropriately for each. I run my volume at 10 12 and sometimes 15 in my truck. No speaker issue here either.
                              • joe@polcari.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 2 9:23 AM
                                  Mine is always on 15 and has been since I got it years ago.Still sounds good.Maybe I should get an external speaker, huh? ----- Original Message -----From: "E Dale Tanksley" >;daletanksley@...;barry-n8dad@...

                                • David
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 7 12:53 PM
                                    Run mine at 12-13 for the last two or three years every day at work. Speaker is fine. Bit of clipping on Aircraft Band above 13. YMMV

                                    --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, OB <ob1309@...> wrote:

                                    > Be prepared for the speaker to go if you have vole greater than 7.
                                    >
                                    > OB
                                    >
                                    > Sent from my iPhone
                                    >
                                    > On 30 Jun 2012, at 12:46, "N8DAD" <barry-n8dad@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > thinking of ordering the 396XT on Monday..
                                    > >
                                    > > Anyone give me any idea as having a 996XT and now getting
                                    > > the 396XT.. anything i should no about before ordering this????
                                    > >
                                    > > N8DAD

                                  • OB
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 9 8:49 PM
                                      I am envious as mine died in less than a month out of the box...

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                      On 8 Jul 2012, at 05:53, "David" <davidmc36@...> wrote:

                                      > Run mine at 12-13 for the last two or three years every day at work. Speaker is fine. Bit of clipping on Aircraft Band above 13. YMMV
                                      >
                                      > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, OB <ob1309@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Be prepared for the speaker to go if you have vole greater than 7.
                                      > >
                                      > > OB
                                      > >
                                      > > Sent from my iPhone
                                      > >
                                      > > On 30 Jun 2012, at 12:46, "N8DAD" <barry-n8dad@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > > thinking of ordering the 396XT on Monday..
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Anyone give me any idea as having a 996XT and now getting
                                      > > > the 396XT.. anything i should no about before ordering this????
                                      > > >
                                      > > > N8DAD

                                    • keith
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 10 12:54 AM
                                        I work in a building that's kind of noisy and I have to run volume at least 12 or sometimes 15 for 8 hours. For 1 1\2 years. And so far so good.
                                        Sent from my BlackBerry® by Boost Mobile