Re: [BCD396XT] Uniden Repair..

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 25, 2012
      Please let us know what brand and type of batteries you were using at the time of failure.

      Were all in radio community here...

      -Lance

      On Jun 23, 2012, at 2:52 AM, mountain1 wrote:

      > Has anyone had any experience with Uniden warranty repair? I bought my 396xt in October and then a few weeks ago I noticed a bad smell coming from my briefcase. I opened it up and the battery compartment was completely deformed and warped! I've uploaded a pic showing what it looked like.
      >
      > The radio had been off and not charging and the batteries were brand new! I just bought them a few days prior.
      >
      > I called Uniden and they assured me this was definitely covered under warranty and that I should mail it to them ASAP!
      >
      > I mailed it to them on the 5th and UPS says it was delivered on the 8th, but I didn't hear anything back from them. Finally I called on the 12th and they said they'd look around for it and let me know. On the 13th I called back and the woman said it was entered into the system but no update. She did give me an SRO number though.
      >
      > Today is the 23rd, and I get a call from Gabriel saying that there is a remaining balance for repair and he left a number. I immediately called the number back as well as all of the customer service numbers on the website only to hear a recording saying that all of their phone systems were down!
      >
      > So I have to ask, is this on par with everyone else's experience with Uniden? For a 500 dollar radio, I really expected MUCH better quality support and customer service than this.
      >
      > If they can't make this right and soon, I'm pretty sure I'll never purchase a Uniden product again!

    • Ron Aubry
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 25, 2012
        All of the 2700 mah batteries i have seen are 1.5 Volts, where the 2600mah and lower are 1.2 volts, This is a .9 volt differance, maybe that's why it fried.... 1.5 v Alkaline do not heat up like the 1.5v rechargable 2700 mah. think the manual says something about only useing 1.2V rechargeables.I've never had a problem with Uniden service, always fast, courtious, and returned in less than a month, even at Xmas time.

        "Ask not of your friends , That which your friends could not ask of you."
        God Bless....

        > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
        > From: milcom_chaser@...
        > Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:17:52 -0600
        > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Uniden Repair..
        >
        > Please let us know what brand and type of batteries you were using at the time of failure.
        >
        > Were all in radio community here...
        >
        > -Lance
        >

        > On Jun 23, 2012, at 2:52 AM, mountain1 wrote:
        >
        > > Has anyone had any experience with Uniden warranty repair? I bought my 396xt in October and then a few weeks ago I noticed a bad smell coming from my briefcase. I opened it up and the battery compartment was completely deformed and warped! I've uploaded a pic showing what it looked like.
        > >
        > > The radio had been off and not charging and the batteries were brand new! I just bought them a few days prior.
        > >
        > > I called Uniden and they assured me this was definitely covered under warranty and that I should mail it to them ASAP!
        > >
        > > I mailed it to them on the 5th and UPS says it was delivered on the 8th, but I didn't hear anything back from them. Finally I called on the 12th and they said they'd look around for it and let me know. On the 13th I called back and the woman said it was entered into the system but no update. She did give me an SRO number though.
        > >
        > > Today is the 23rd, and I get a call from Gabriel saying that there is a remaining balance for repair and he left a number. I immediately called the number back as well as all of the customer service numbers on the website only to hear a recording saying that all of their phone systems were down!
        > >
        > > So I have to ask, is this on par with everyone else's experience with Uniden? For a 500 dollar radio, I really expected MUCH better quality support and customer service than this.
        > >
        > > If they can't make this right and soon, I'm pretty sure I'll never purchase a Uniden product again!

      • Mark Levine, D.C.
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 25, 2012
          Ron

          I think you are mistaken.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AA_battery

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 25, 2012
            Will the position of the "Alkaline / Ni-MH " switch have an impact on the cause of this issue?

            >> On Jun 23, 2012, at 2:52 AM, mountain1 wrote:
            >>
            >> > Has anyone had any experience with Uniden warranty repair? I bought my
            >> > 396xt in October and then a few weeks ago I noticed a bad smell coming
            >> > from my briefcase. I opened it up and the battery compartment was
            >> > completely deformed and warped! I've uploaded a pic showing what it
            >> > looked like.
            >> >
            >> > The radio had been off and not charging and the batteries were brand
            >> > new! I just bought them a few days prior.
            >> >
            >> > I called Uniden and they assured me this was definitely covered under
            >> > warranty and that I should mail it to them ASAP!
            >> >
            >> > I mailed it to them on the 5th and UPS says it was delivered on the
            >> > 8th, but I didn't hear anything back from them. Finally I called on the
            >> > 12th and they said they'd look around for it and let me know. On the
            >> > 13th I called back and the woman said it was entered into the system
            >> > but no update. She did give me an SRO number though.
            >> >
            >> > Today is the 23rd, and I get a call from Gabriel saying that there is a
            >> > remaining balance for repair and he left a number. I immediately called
            >> > the number back as well as all of the customer service numbers on the
            >> > website only to hear a recording saying that all of their phone systems
            >> > were down!
            >> >
            >> > So I have to ask, is this on par with everyone else's experience with
            >> > Uniden? For a 500 dollar radio, I really expected MUCH better quality
            >> > support and customer service than this.
            >> >
            >> > If they can't make this right and soon, I'm pretty sure I'll never
            >> > purchase a Uniden product again!

          • Patrick - 2-Way Guy
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 25, 2012
              if he was having issues with fully charged batteries dying in less then an
              hour, in some cases 30 minutes, sounds to me like an internal short of the
              device.
              This would also make sense for him putting in higher capacity batteries
              then the device really over heating.

              Follow Me On Twitter - @AndroidTechGuy<http://twitter.com/#!/androidtechguy>

            • Uniden UPMan
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 25, 2012
                It is unknown what the cause of the issue was, so it is unknowable what the position of that switch would affect.

                UpMan

                >________________________________

              • mountain1
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 25, 2012
                  Further update:
                  Since asked, I used the stock batteries, Sanyo Eneloops, Lenmars, and the ones that were in it when the problem occurred were Maha MH-4AA270BH

                  http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=415&cur=specs#mid

                  with the volt at 1.2, and the switch was set to NIMH.

                  The radio was off, not plugged in, and these were new batteries, never charged, but I do own a C900 and never charge in a radio. Kind of paranoid about doing that for exactly this reason.

                  I did talk to Mona at Uniden today and the general gist is that even though I had called before about the radio dying so fast and they recommended trying new batteries, it's the fact that this battery exploded that caused the actual damage. Why it exploded doesn't matter to them apparently, just the fact that it exploded means that the warranty doesn't cover it AT ALL.

                  If I had sent it in to them before the battery exploded, it would have been covered for free. ... Uh... great. Nice to know that after the fact.

                  I have also spoken with Eric Cheng at Maha, and he was very polite and simply said email him the bill and a photo of the radio and he'll send me out a package of replacement batteries and get back to me ASAP about covering the cost of the repair.

                  That is how customer service should be, quick, prompt, and helpful! Even though I only paid 20 bucks for the batteries, they're willing to stand behind their product and keep a customer.

                  How markedly different that is from the way Uniden has handled someone who purchased a 500 dollar radio, and another 100 bucks in accessories!

                  Remember, I mailed them the radio on the 5th, it was delivered on the 8th. It's taken THIS long to reach even this point for a radio that was absolutely fried and melted when they simply aren't even going to attempt to diagnose the problem or cause. To me, that's just pathetic customer service! It wasn't even entered into the system for 4 business days after delivery! It's not like they're chasing bugs, or diagnosing anything with this, which leads me to believe that they must be short staffed and swamped for it to have taken this long.

                  I will say that on my desk are a BC235, 245, 895, and a 780. I also have a Pro2067, 2041, Pro60, and Pro64.

                  I've never had any problems in the past with either GRE/RS or Uniden, but the one time that something DOES happen, well... It's enough to make sure I will NEVER trust their products again simply because of the way the have handled this whole matter.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 25, 2012
                    Unless I'm getting two threads mixed up (which I may be), he said he was
                    using 2700 mAH Powerex NiMH cells.

                    If that is the case, the position of the switch would not matter, as in
                    NiMH the cells would charge and in the ALK position they simply would
                    not charge.

                    Or am I mixing two threads?

                    Joe M.

                    Uniden UPMan wrote:
                    > It is unknown what the cause of the issue was, so it is unknowable what the position of that switch would affect.
                    >
                    > UpMan
                    > UpMan FAQ: http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/UpMan -- Please read before emailing me directly
                    >

                    >> ________________________________

                  • Clark Rennie
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 25, 2012
                      No Joe, it's the same thread but it seems as if it has gone in several
                      different directions.

                      Clark

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 25, 2012
                        What's missing in the scenario of this event?

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 25, 2012
                          Fault.

                          Is it possible that anything in the BCD396XT circuit board could conduct
                          enough current for a long enough time to produce the damage claimed?
                          Doubtful in my mind. Sorry but I think the fault lies with the battery
                          manufacturer, not Uniden.

                          Just check the CPSC site for how many thousands if not millions of computer
                          battery packs have been recalled over the past 5 years. Every manufacturer
                          has a resposibilty to report incidents if they may cause injury. It's not
                          like Uniden didn't actually see the unit. Uniden is a reputable company
                          that listens to it's customers.

                          ML