Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Dstar

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
      I think the big issue with its slow growth are the benefits vs cost
      issues. Most people have analog equipment. Relatively few have D-STAR.
      So, in an emergency it will be primarily analog that will be useful.

      Also, there is a difference between digital and encrypted. D-STAR is not
      encrypted in any form, so it's legal per Part 97. You can purchase a
      dongle and monitor the conversations.

      Joe M.

      David Klippel wrote:
      > I believe you're right that aren't any radio manufactures even though
      > Kenwood said they would and had a radio (built by Icom) initially that
      > they since dropped. There are other manufactures providing a dongle
      > option for use on a computer.
      >
      > Personally I don't understand how the FCC permitted this D-Star for
      > Amateur Radio. My understanding is that is it a licensed technology and
      > not open and free for anyone to use. This makes it more like an
      > encrypted/scrambled private transmission as well as a commercial pay to
      > play option which are counter to the basis of the hobby. I am sure this
      > is also a big part of its slow growth.
      >
      > On 6/4/2012 5:08 PM, Alex wrote:
      >> Who else is promoting D-STAR? Other than Icom I haven't seen any
      >> manufacturer interested in using it. Kenwood and Yaesu/Vertex have
      >> held back (probably a wait-and-see).
      >>
      >> --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>,
      >> MCH <mch@...> wrote:
      >>> And technically speaking (AKA picking nits), D-STAR is a JARL format,
      >>> not Icom. Icom just happens to be the largest (but not only)
      >> promoter of
      >>> the format outside Japan.
      >>>
      >>> Joe M.

    • David Klippel
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
        Technically you are correct D-STAR is open but the codec is not and
        requires a license to decode so in function it is essentially
        'encrypted/scrambled'. Yes, you can purchase a dongle but it is still
        using a license Codec that you paid for. You can't legally reverse
        engineer the Codec and listen or transmit. The cost benefit is a big
        part of the issue and with just one manufacture using it does not help.
        If there were more options and free/open Codec in use it would be much
        further along in growth and acceptance.

        I feel a similar thing is happening with HD Radio. There are plenty of
        broadcasters but unfortunately not many radios with it built in. The car
        radio is becoming common to have HD. If you want to listen to HD on the
        beach or park where a small portable radio would be used or even in a
        home stereo or A/V receiver your options are very limited.

        This could go on but as for the original scanning question they need a
        license for the Codec it is a small audience for them to add the cost.
        Though as a Ham it would great to be able to monitor the D-STAR activity
        and maybe become convinced it is worth the cost.

        On 6/4/2012 6:32 PM, MCH wrote:

        > I think the big issue with its slow growth are the benefits vs cost
        > issues. Most people have analog equipment. Relatively few have D-STAR.
        > So, in an emergency it will be primarily analog that will be useful.
        >
        > Also, there is a difference between digital and encrypted. D-STAR is not
        > encrypted in any form, so it's legal per Part 97. You can purchase a
        > dongle and monitor the conversations.

      • Dean B. Dalrymple
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 5, 2012
          About a year and half ago the club I was part of (before moving to a
          different city) invited a rep from Icom to come in and talk about
          their radios with the focus primarily on the D-Star radios. While the
          technology is impressive, I don't see it ever becoming wide spread in
          the hobby.

          As Joe has pointed out, in an emergency it will be primarily analog
          that is used. Where I live ARES is part of the county's emergency
          plan so our communications need to be easily and inexpensively
          monitored by numerous agencies from local emergency services to the
          Red Cross. Costs of D-Star radios would prevent that.

          Dean VA3DBD

          At 06:32 PM 6/4/2012, MCH wrote:
          >I think the big issue with its slow growth are the benefits vs cost
          >issues. Most people have analog equipment. Relatively few have D-STAR.
          >So, in an emergency it will be primarily analog that will be useful.
        • Alex
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 5, 2012
            PC board real estate is expensive, microcode space isn't. Given the component density already in the 396 I don't think it is quite so easy to cram one more chip in there. If Uniden really wanted D-STAR then they'd likely just license the codec algorithms and code that into the microprocessor just like all the other digital codecs that are currently processed.