Dstar

  • Doug Johnson
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 3, 2012
      Gidday All,

      Will the UBCD396XT decode the Icom based amateur Dstar ?

      Regards,

      Doug VK2XLJ

    • Paul Opitz
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 3, 2012
        No, it will not.

        ________________________________
        Will the UBCD396XT decode the Icom based amateur Dstar ?

        Regards,

        Doug VK2XLJ

      • Jim Walls
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 3, 2012
          On 6/3/2012 16:38, Doug Johnson wrote:
          > Gidday All,
          >
          > Will the UBCD396XT decode the Icom based amateur Dstar ?

          Nothing will except another D-Star radio.

          --
          73
          -------------------------------------
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
            At 12:22 PM 6/4/2012, you wrote:
            >On 6/3/2012 16:38, Doug Johnson wrote:
            > > Gidday All,
            > >
            > > Will the UBCD396XT decode the Icom based amateur Dstar ?
            > >

            >Nothing will except another D-Star radio.

            Or a PC, DV Dongle and some open source software working together
            (you will need a radio with a discriminator output for this to work).

            73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
            http://vkradio.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
              And technically speaking (AKA picking nits), D-STAR is a JARL format,
              not Icom. Icom just happens to be the largest (but not only) promoter of
              the format outside Japan.

              Joe M.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
                Actually there are D-STAR dongles out there
                that you can hook up to any radio or scanner.

                Joe M.

                Jim Walls wrote:
                > On 6/3/2012 16:38, Doug Johnson wrote:
                >> Gidday All,
                >>
                >> Will the UBCD396XT decode the Icom based amateur Dstar ?
                >>

                > Nothing will except another D-Star radio.

              • Alex
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
                  If DVSI ever releases the code for the AMBE codec used in the radios then any radio like the 396XT could do it in its firmware.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
                    Who else is promoting D-STAR? Other than Icom I haven't seen any manufacturer interested in using it. Kenwood and Yaesu/Vertex have held back (probably a wait-and-see).

                    > And technically speaking (AKA picking nits), D-STAR is a JARL format,
                    > not Icom. Icom just happens to be the largest (but not only) promoter of
                    > the format outside Japan.
                    >
                    > Joe M.
                    >
                    > Doug Johnson wrote:
                    > > Gidday All,
                    > >
                    > > Will the UBCD396XT decode the Icom based amateur Dstar ?
                    > >
                    > > Regards,
                    > >
                    > > Doug VK2XLJ

                  • Yuni T. Runker
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
                      The specification of the P25 versions are published. That option has always been there ...

                      Winradio offers PC based decoding of IMBE. Don't know if they support dstar.

                      On Jun 4, 2012, at 4:06 PM, "Alex" <agcme2002@...> wrote:

                      > If DVSI ever releases the code for the AMBE codec used in the radios then any radio like the 396XT could do it in its firmware.
                      >
                      > ---

                    • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
                        At 07:06 AM 6/5/2012, you wrote:
                        >If DVSI ever releases the code for the AMBE codec used in the radios
                        >then any radio like the 396XT could do it in its firmware.

                        All the manufacturers have to do is include the right chip in their
                        scanner to handle the AMBE audio (same as they do for IMBE that P25
                        uses). Probably be one that can do both formats, since both are DVSI
                        products. The test of the D-STAR spec is open, and can (and has!) be
                        implemented by third parties.

                        73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                        http://vkradio.com
                      • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
                          At 07:08 AM 6/5/2012, you wrote:
                          >Who else is promoting D-STAR? Other than Icom I haven't seen any
                          >manufacturer interested in using it. Kenwood and Yaesu/Vertex have
                          >held back (probably a wait-and-see).

                          A number of ham groups, developers and smaller manufacturers.

                          73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                          http://vkradio.com
                        • David Klippel
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
                            I believe you're right that aren't any radio manufactures even though
                            Kenwood said they would and had a radio (built by Icom) initially that
                            they since dropped. There are other manufactures providing a dongle
                            option for use on a computer.

                            Personally I don't understand how the FCC permitted this D-Star for
                            Amateur Radio. My understanding is that is it a licensed technology and
                            not open and free for anyone to use. This makes it more like an
                            encrypted/scrambled private transmission as well as a commercial pay to
                            play option which are counter to the basis of the hobby. I am sure this
                            is also a big part of its slow growth.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
                              Kenwood sells D-STAR radios in Japan. They have not marketed
                              it in the USA (likely due to their market potential research). Upon
                              further research, it looks like Kenwood has pulled out of the Japanese
                              market.

                              I'm sure it would be a similar decision on Uniden's part (for the USA
                              market). They have to look at the cost vs sales increase realized by the
                              availability of the format. From what I understand, they were offered a
                              license for OpenSky, but decided it was too high cost for the additional
                              market increase. Other scanner manufacturers likely came to the same
                              conclusion. Between the small market for Open Sky and the system issues
                              which threaten its future, it's probably not worth the investment.

                              While D-STAR has a much wider market base, it is really restricted to
                              ham radio which is not a big selling point for scanners. Most people
                              want scanners to monitor public safety agencies, not hams.

                              Joe M.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
                                I think the big issue with its slow growth are the benefits vs cost
                                issues. Most people have analog equipment. Relatively few have D-STAR.
                                So, in an emergency it will be primarily analog that will be useful.

                                Also, there is a difference between digital and encrypted. D-STAR is not
                                encrypted in any form, so it's legal per Part 97. You can purchase a
                                dongle and monitor the conversations.

                                Joe M.

                                David Klippel wrote:
                                > I believe you're right that aren't any radio manufactures even though
                                > Kenwood said they would and had a radio (built by Icom) initially that
                                > they since dropped. There are other manufactures providing a dongle
                                > option for use on a computer.
                                >
                                > Personally I don't understand how the FCC permitted this D-Star for
                                > Amateur Radio. My understanding is that is it a licensed technology and
                                > not open and free for anyone to use. This makes it more like an
                                > encrypted/scrambled private transmission as well as a commercial pay to
                                > play option which are counter to the basis of the hobby. I am sure this
                                > is also a big part of its slow growth.
                                >
                                > On 6/4/2012 5:08 PM, Alex wrote:
                                >> Who else is promoting D-STAR? Other than Icom I haven't seen any
                                >> manufacturer interested in using it. Kenwood and Yaesu/Vertex have
                                >> held back (probably a wait-and-see).
                                >>
                                >> --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                >> MCH <mch@...> wrote:
                                >>> And technically speaking (AKA picking nits), D-STAR is a JARL format,
                                >>> not Icom. Icom just happens to be the largest (but not only)
                                >> promoter of
                                >>> the format outside Japan.
                                >>>
                                >>> Joe M.

                              • David Klippel
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
                                  Technically you are correct D-STAR is open but the codec is not and
                                  requires a license to decode so in function it is essentially
                                  'encrypted/scrambled'. Yes, you can purchase a dongle but it is still
                                  using a license Codec that you paid for. You can't legally reverse
                                  engineer the Codec and listen or transmit. The cost benefit is a big
                                  part of the issue and with just one manufacture using it does not help.
                                  If there were more options and free/open Codec in use it would be much
                                  further along in growth and acceptance.

                                  I feel a similar thing is happening with HD Radio. There are plenty of
                                  broadcasters but unfortunately not many radios with it built in. The car
                                  radio is becoming common to have HD. If you want to listen to HD on the
                                  beach or park where a small portable radio would be used or even in a
                                  home stereo or A/V receiver your options are very limited.

                                  This could go on but as for the original scanning question they need a
                                  license for the Codec it is a small audience for them to add the cost.
                                  Though as a Ham it would great to be able to monitor the D-STAR activity
                                  and maybe become convinced it is worth the cost.

                                  On 6/4/2012 6:32 PM, MCH wrote:

                                  > I think the big issue with its slow growth are the benefits vs cost
                                  > issues. Most people have analog equipment. Relatively few have D-STAR.
                                  > So, in an emergency it will be primarily analog that will be useful.
                                  >
                                  > Also, there is a difference between digital and encrypted. D-STAR is not
                                  > encrypted in any form, so it's legal per Part 97. You can purchase a
                                  > dongle and monitor the conversations.

                                • Dean B. Dalrymple
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 5, 2012
                                    About a year and half ago the club I was part of (before moving to a
                                    different city) invited a rep from Icom to come in and talk about
                                    their radios with the focus primarily on the D-Star radios. While the
                                    technology is impressive, I don't see it ever becoming wide spread in
                                    the hobby.

                                    As Joe has pointed out, in an emergency it will be primarily analog
                                    that is used. Where I live ARES is part of the county's emergency
                                    plan so our communications need to be easily and inexpensively
                                    monitored by numerous agencies from local emergency services to the
                                    Red Cross. Costs of D-Star radios would prevent that.

                                    Dean VA3DBD

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 5, 2012
                                      PC board real estate is expensive, microcode space isn't. Given the component density already in the 396 I don't think it is quite so easy to cram one more chip in there. If Uniden really wanted D-STAR then they'd likely just license the codec algorithms and code that into the microprocessor just like all the other digital codecs that are currently processed.