P25 Decode Adjustments

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012
      I'm still having some trouble with P25 decode on systems after the most recent firmware update that altered P25 and added the hidden menus. The audio breaks up at times as the radio tries to zero in and decode or just fails to decode at all. From the decoder information screen (F-Vol twice) I see that the decoder level makes its way up to 11-12 from a starting point of 8 in automatic mode and the errors sometimes climb to 17-18.

      Are the P25 adjustments a trial-and-error process or is there a method to the madness? Is it possible to fix the level at something other than 8/Auto to make the decode more reliable?
    • Robert Klamp Jr.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012
        Ive been working with the p25 adjustment modes and have found that they do help. Unfortunately no two systems are the same or at least that what it seems like where I live in Illinois near Chicago. So it does come down to trial and error, I changed the value by increments of 5 up and down to find which way the value needed to go. I would go 5 to 15 increments above the original value then do the same for levels below the original value, you will be able to notice a sizeable change in your decode rate when you start adjusting the level the right way. From there it is a process of fine tuning your p25 values to a value that works the best on your system. It may take a while and alot of testing but if you take your time and document your results so you know what you've changed and what needs to be changed I think you will be very happy with your final product.

        Hope this helps,
        Bob

        Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012
          I have found that one system decodes best at 7,one at 8, another at 11 and
          one at 12. It is trial and error, and other things too. Even weather affects
          things as does the season. Just a bit of wind throws one system all over the
          place. You really need to let it sit a while, an hour or more and watch the
          error rate. It should be as low as possible.