Re: [BCD396XT] Base Antenna Suggestion

  • Shawn Kurschner
    Message 1 of 24 , May 9, 2012
      Nevermind, just answered my own question.

      --

      *Shawn Kurschner*

      *(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

      *Manitowoc, WI USA
      *

    • tachorn@live.com
      Message 2 of 24 , May 9, 2012
        Thanks for all the info, the ST2 is not what I am looking for. I am wanting something with a fairly small foot print. Discone looks like it will be my choice, but thoughts on a mobile NMO scanner antenna with a ground plane kit on a mast?

        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Sigler" <mike@...> wrote:

        > A lot of it will depend on the height of your base antenna and your
        > local average terrain height and where the transmitter and height of the
        > transmitter is. The Discone antenna receives very well and its
        > wideband. I have one myself and a preamp is always nice to use too.
        >

        > Mike-KC9NSA

      • Mark Levine, D.C.
        Message 3 of 24 , May 9, 2012
          In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
          http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

          Message 4 of 24 , May 9, 2012
            That is actually a good solution. I used to be an RF Mobile Field Tech, and serviced a lot of systems. I visited a few sites that used NMO with ground plane
            kit.

            -Lance

          • tachorn@live.com
            Message 5 of 24 , May 9, 2012
              I saw the spectra yesterday while I was looking and it really caught my attention. What are my options for ground plane kits other than the one listed with the spectra? Do they make a ground plane kit with an N connector or pl259 so I can use a better feed line? I will need around 50ft feed line. I dont want a 7ft tall antenna on the house.

              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:

              > In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
              > http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

            • Mark Levine, D.C.
              Message 6 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                http://www.alpha2zuluelectronics.com/NMO-ground-plane-kit-p/1465.htm

                works fine

                ML
                >I saw the spectra yesterday while I was looking and it really caught my
                >attention. What are my options for ground plane kits other than the one
                >listed with the spectra? Do they make a ground plane kit with an N
                >connector or pl259 so I can use a better feed line? I will need around
                >50ft feed line. I dont want a 7ft tall antenna on the house.
                >
                > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                >> http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

              • MICHAEL BENNETT
                Message 7 of 24 , May 10, 2012
                  The best multi-band antenna I've used is the LARSEN 150/450/800 mobile. I
                  have one on my car, bicycle, and use a ground plane kit, similar to the one
                  below, for a base. I'm using the 150 ground plane kit with the longer
                  ground elements though.

                  I've never tried the "Spectra" but I do have the base version, the "Ferret"
                  and I'm not too impressed with it's performance. It works pretty good on
                  150 mhz but that's about it.

                  Mike

                • Dannypa_27
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 10, 2012
                    I never knew you could have one on a bicycle? Do you have any pictures of it? Thanks.

                    --danny

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 10, 2012
                      I love the Larsen NMO-2/70 dual band antennas. They work better than
                      anything else I've tried. I haven't tried the tri-band antennas, but
                      they are likely of similar design. Still, the dual band antennas work
                      very well on 800 MHz, and even decent on Low Band.

                      Joe M.

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 11, 2012
                        You can put an antenna on anything..... even my skid steer will have one
                        with a mount for an HP1 and amplified speaker so I can listen while I tear
                        up the yard.

                        wrote:

                        > The best multi-band antenna I've used is the LARSEN 150/450/800 mobile.
                        > have one on my car, bicycle, and use a ground plane kit, similar to the
                        > one
                        > below, for a base. I'm using the 150 ground plane kit with the longer
                        > ground elements though.
                        >
                        > I've never tried the "Spectra" but I do have the base version, the
                        > "Ferret"
                        > and I'm not too impressed with it's performance. It works pretty good on
                        > 150 mhz but that's about it.
                        >
                        > Mike
                        >
                        > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Mark Levine, D.C. <wb2eqe@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > http://www.alpha2zuluelectronics.com/NMO-ground-plane-kit-p/1465.htm
                        > >
                        > > works fine
                        > >
                        > > ML

                      • dataman60435
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 11, 2012
                          "John" your a true "SCANNERMAN"......And i luv how u voice your opinion on things!!

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 11, 2012
                            lol..... don't even get me going on encryption......

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 15, 2012
                              Pictures attached..................