Re: [BCD396XT] Base Antenna Suggestion

  • Shawn Kurschner
    Message 1 of 24 , May 9, 2012
      Is this different than the ScanTenna?

      On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Michael Sigler <mike@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Thanks for the link, Clark. I just bought one of those at that price!
      > What a deal.
      >
      > Mike-KC9NSA

      *Shawn Kurschner*

      *(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

      *Manitowoc, WI USA
      *

    • Shawn Kurschner
      Message 2 of 24 , May 9, 2012
        Nevermind, just answered my own question.

        --

        *Shawn Kurschner*

        *(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

        *Manitowoc, WI USA
        *

      • tachorn@live.com
        Message 3 of 24 , May 9, 2012
          Thanks for all the info, the ST2 is not what I am looking for. I am wanting something with a fairly small foot print. Discone looks like it will be my choice, but thoughts on a mobile NMO scanner antenna with a ground plane kit on a mast?

          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Sigler" <mike@...> wrote:

          > A lot of it will depend on the height of your base antenna and your
          > local average terrain height and where the transmitter and height of the
          > transmitter is. The Discone antenna receives very well and its
          > wideband. I have one myself and a preamp is always nice to use too.
          >

          > Mike-KC9NSA

        • Mark Levine, D.C.
          Message 4 of 24 , May 9, 2012
            In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
            http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

            Message 5 of 24 , May 9, 2012
              That is actually a good solution. I used to be an RF Mobile Field Tech, and serviced a lot of systems. I visited a few sites that used NMO with ground plane
              kit.

              -Lance

            • tachorn@live.com
              Message 6 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                I saw the spectra yesterday while I was looking and it really caught my attention. What are my options for ground plane kits other than the one listed with the spectra? Do they make a ground plane kit with an N connector or pl259 so I can use a better feed line? I will need around 50ft feed line. I dont want a 7ft tall antenna on the house.

                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:

                > In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                > http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

              • Mark Levine, D.C.
                Message 7 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                  http://www.alpha2zuluelectronics.com/NMO-ground-plane-kit-p/1465.htm

                  works fine

                  ML
                  >I saw the spectra yesterday while I was looking and it really caught my
                  >attention. What are my options for ground plane kits other than the one
                  >listed with the spectra? Do they make a ground plane kit with an N
                  >connector or pl259 so I can use a better feed line? I will need around
                  >50ft feed line. I dont want a 7ft tall antenna on the house.
                  >
                  > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                  >> http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

                • MICHAEL BENNETT
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 10, 2012
                    The best multi-band antenna I've used is the LARSEN 150/450/800 mobile. I
                    have one on my car, bicycle, and use a ground plane kit, similar to the one
                    below, for a base. I'm using the 150 ground plane kit with the longer
                    ground elements though.

                    I've never tried the "Spectra" but I do have the base version, the "Ferret"
                    and I'm not too impressed with it's performance. It works pretty good on
                    150 mhz but that's about it.

                    Mike

                  • Dannypa_27
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 10, 2012
                      I never knew you could have one on a bicycle? Do you have any pictures of it? Thanks.

                      --danny

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 10, 2012
                        I love the Larsen NMO-2/70 dual band antennas. They work better than
                        anything else I've tried. I haven't tried the tri-band antennas, but
                        they are likely of similar design. Still, the dual band antennas work
                        very well on 800 MHz, and even decent on Low Band.

                        Joe M.

                      • John
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 11, 2012
                          You can put an antenna on anything..... even my skid steer will have one
                          with a mount for an HP1 and amplified speaker so I can listen while I tear
                          up the yard.

                          wrote:

                          > The best multi-band antenna I've used is the LARSEN 150/450/800 mobile.
                          > have one on my car, bicycle, and use a ground plane kit, similar to the
                          > one
                          > below, for a base. I'm using the 150 ground plane kit with the longer
                          > ground elements though.
                          >
                          > I've never tried the "Spectra" but I do have the base version, the
                          > "Ferret"
                          > and I'm not too impressed with it's performance. It works pretty good on
                          > 150 mhz but that's about it.
                          >
                          > Mike
                          >
                          > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Mark Levine, D.C. <wb2eqe@...>
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > http://www.alpha2zuluelectronics.com/NMO-ground-plane-kit-p/1465.htm
                          > >
                          > > works fine
                          > >
                          > > ML

                        • dataman60435
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 11, 2012
                            "John" your a true "SCANNERMAN"......And i luv how u voice your opinion on things!!

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 11, 2012
                              lol..... don't even get me going on encryption......

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 15, 2012
                                Pictures attached..................