RE: [BCD396XT] Base Antenna Suggestion

  • Michael Hopkins
    Message 1 of 24 , May 9, 2012
      I use a Discone --- great omni directional antenna --- sitting on a 30 foot
      pole, but the trick is to use a good, low loss feed line. I use ½ inch
      semi-rigid hard line left over from the cable tv guys – it’s 75 ohms, but
      that doesn’t matter much…. Also, I have a commercially available pre-amp
      that’s good to about 1GHz.

      With the above, I can hear pretty much anything in a 60 mile radius….

      Mike Hopkins – K1VLB

      Home: 603 882 2030

      Cell: 603 765 3736

      Mhopkins735@...

      Message 2 of 24 , May 9, 2012
        Thanks for the link, Clark. I just bought one of those at that price!
        What a deal.

        Mike-KC9NSA

        Message 3 of 24 , May 9, 2012
          Is this different than the ScanTenna?

          On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Michael Sigler <mike@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Thanks for the link, Clark. I just bought one of those at that price!
          > What a deal.
          >
          > Mike-KC9NSA

          *(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

          *Manitowoc, WI USA
          *

        • Shawn Kurschner
          Message 4 of 24 , May 9, 2012
            Nevermind, just answered my own question.

            --

            *Shawn Kurschner*

            *(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

            *Manitowoc, WI USA
            *

          • tachorn@live.com
            Message 5 of 24 , May 9, 2012
              Thanks for all the info, the ST2 is not what I am looking for. I am wanting something with a fairly small foot print. Discone looks like it will be my choice, but thoughts on a mobile NMO scanner antenna with a ground plane kit on a mast?

              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Sigler" <mike@...> wrote:

              > A lot of it will depend on the height of your base antenna and your
              > local average terrain height and where the transmitter and height of the
              > transmitter is. The Discone antenna receives very well and its
              > wideband. I have one myself and a preamp is always nice to use too.
              >

              > Mike-KC9NSA

            • Mark Levine, D.C.
              Message 6 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

                Message 7 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                  That is actually a good solution. I used to be an RF Mobile Field Tech, and serviced a lot of systems. I visited a few sites that used NMO with ground plane
                  kit.

                  -Lance

                • tachorn@live.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                    I saw the spectra yesterday while I was looking and it really caught my attention. What are my options for ground plane kits other than the one listed with the spectra? Do they make a ground plane kit with an N connector or pl259 so I can use a better feed line? I will need around 50ft feed line. I dont want a 7ft tall antenna on the house.

                    --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:

                    > In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                    > http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

                  • Mark Levine, D.C.
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                      http://www.alpha2zuluelectronics.com/NMO-ground-plane-kit-p/1465.htm

                      works fine

                      ML
                      >I saw the spectra yesterday while I was looking and it really caught my
                      >attention. What are my options for ground plane kits other than the one
                      >listed with the spectra? Do they make a ground plane kit with an N
                      >connector or pl259 so I can use a better feed line? I will need around
                      >50ft feed line. I dont want a 7ft tall antenna on the house.
                      >
                      > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                      >> http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

                    • MICHAEL BENNETT
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 10, 2012
                        The best multi-band antenna I've used is the LARSEN 150/450/800 mobile. I
                        have one on my car, bicycle, and use a ground plane kit, similar to the one
                        below, for a base. I'm using the 150 ground plane kit with the longer
                        ground elements though.

                        I've never tried the "Spectra" but I do have the base version, the "Ferret"
                        and I'm not too impressed with it's performance. It works pretty good on
                        150 mhz but that's about it.

                        Mike

                      • Dannypa_27
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 10, 2012
                          I never knew you could have one on a bicycle? Do you have any pictures of it? Thanks.

                          --danny

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 10, 2012
                            I love the Larsen NMO-2/70 dual band antennas. They work better than
                            anything else I've tried. I haven't tried the tri-band antennas, but
                            they are likely of similar design. Still, the dual band antennas work
                            very well on 800 MHz, and even decent on Low Band.

                            Joe M.

                          • John
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 11, 2012
                              You can put an antenna on anything..... even my skid steer will have one
                              with a mount for an HP1 and amplified speaker so I can listen while I tear
                              up the yard.

                              wrote:

                              > The best multi-band antenna I've used is the LARSEN 150/450/800 mobile.
                              > have one on my car, bicycle, and use a ground plane kit, similar to the
                              > one
                              > below, for a base. I'm using the 150 ground plane kit with the longer
                              > ground elements though.
                              >
                              > I've never tried the "Spectra" but I do have the base version, the
                              > "Ferret"
                              > and I'm not too impressed with it's performance. It works pretty good on
                              > 150 mhz but that's about it.
                              >
                              > Mike
                              >
                              > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Mark Levine, D.C. <wb2eqe@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > http://www.alpha2zuluelectronics.com/NMO-ground-plane-kit-p/1465.htm
                              > >
                              > > works fine
                              > >
                              > > ML

                            • dataman60435
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 11, 2012
                                "John" your a true "SCANNERMAN"......And i luv how u voice your opinion on things!!

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 11, 2012
                                  lol..... don't even get me going on encryption......

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 15, 2012
                                    Pictures attached..................