Re: [BCD396XT] Base Antenna Suggestion

  • John
    Message 1 of 24 , May 8, 2012
      I don't like the Scantenna at all, had one destroyed by 40MPH wind while my
      discone survived a tornado that took out 40 trees in my yard. This discone
      isn't the cheap radio shack version but around $149 and with LMR400 coax and
      the antenna at around 65' I pick up Louisville Suburban VHF High band from
      70+ miles away. Some days I hear Lexington PD and on occasion St Louis Fire
      3 states away. The discone has always outperformed the scantenna
      for me, but then you get what you pay for too. Why skimp on an antenna and
      coax when your using a $500 scanner?

      Message 2 of 24 , May 9, 2012
        I use a Discone --- great omni directional antenna --- sitting on a 30 foot
        pole, but the trick is to use a good, low loss feed line. I use ½ inch
        semi-rigid hard line left over from the cable tv guys – it’s 75 ohms, but
        that doesn’t matter much…. Also, I have a commercially available pre-amp
        that’s good to about 1GHz.

        With the above, I can hear pretty much anything in a 60 mile radius….

        Mike Hopkins – K1VLB

        Home: 603 882 2030

        Cell: 603 765 3736

        Mhopkins735@...

        Message 3 of 24 , May 9, 2012
          Thanks for the link, Clark. I just bought one of those at that price!
          What a deal.

          Mike-KC9NSA

          At 09:06 PM 5/8/2012, you wrote:

          >That's what I was going to recommend. I have one right below a Discone,
          >and it really kicks the Discone's rear end - picking up 5 weather
          >channels when the Discone has trouble picking up three, for example.
          >
          >You should be able to get the ST-2 for less than $50 shipped.
          >
          >Joe M.
          >
          >John Kintz wrote:
          > > If cost is a factor, you might wish to consider the ST-2 Scantenna.
          > > I've had several of these over the years and I would say that,
          > > performance-wise, they're hard to beat for the price. The first
          > > generation ones were a bit flimsy but the newer ones are built more
          like
          > > a typical TV antenna. They are pretty popular and can be purchased
          from
          > > numerous sources... use Google - the following link is just an
          example:

          > > http://www.rrcom.com/sales/ScannerAccs/scantenna.html
          > >
          > > JK
          > >

          > > On 5/8/2012 7:34 PM, Robert Klamp Jr. wrote:
          > >> I have heard very good things about this antenna, I am actually
          > >> thinking of replacing my old ICOM AH7000 Discone antennas with
          these.
          > >> I have one at my vacation house and it works great might be worth
          it
          > >> to check it out at the following link.
          > >>
          > >> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1628.html

        • Shawn Kurschner
          Message 4 of 24 , May 9, 2012
            Is this different than the ScanTenna?

            On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Michael Sigler <mike@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Thanks for the link, Clark. I just bought one of those at that price!
            > What a deal.
            >
            > Mike-KC9NSA

            *Shawn Kurschner*

            *(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

            *Manitowoc, WI USA
            *

          • Shawn Kurschner
            Message 5 of 24 , May 9, 2012
              Nevermind, just answered my own question.

              --

              *Shawn Kurschner*

              *(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

              *Manitowoc, WI USA
              *

            • tachorn@live.com
              Message 6 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                Thanks for all the info, the ST2 is not what I am looking for. I am wanting something with a fairly small foot print. Discone looks like it will be my choice, but thoughts on a mobile NMO scanner antenna with a ground plane kit on a mast?

                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Sigler" <mike@...> wrote:

                > A lot of it will depend on the height of your base antenna and your
                > local average terrain height and where the transmitter and height of the
                > transmitter is. The Discone antenna receives very well and its
                > wideband. I have one myself and a preamp is always nice to use too.
                >

                > Mike-KC9NSA

              • Mark Levine, D.C.
                Message 7 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                  In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                  http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                    That is actually a good solution. I used to be an RF Mobile Field Tech, and serviced a lot of systems. I visited a few sites that used NMO with ground plane
                    kit.

                    -Lance

                  • tachorn@live.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                      I saw the spectra yesterday while I was looking and it really caught my attention. What are my options for ground plane kits other than the one listed with the spectra? Do they make a ground plane kit with an N connector or pl259 so I can use a better feed line? I will need around 50ft feed line. I dont want a 7ft tall antenna on the house.

                      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:

                      > In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                      > http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

                    • Mark Levine, D.C.
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                        http://www.alpha2zuluelectronics.com/NMO-ground-plane-kit-p/1465.htm

                        works fine

                        ML
                        >I saw the spectra yesterday while I was looking and it really caught my
                        >attention. What are my options for ground plane kits other than the one
                        >listed with the spectra? Do they make a ground plane kit with an N
                        >connector or pl259 so I can use a better feed line? I will need around
                        >50ft feed line. I dont want a 7ft tall antenna on the house.
                        >
                        > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                        >> http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

                      • MICHAEL BENNETT
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 10, 2012
                          The best multi-band antenna I've used is the LARSEN 150/450/800 mobile. I
                          have one on my car, bicycle, and use a ground plane kit, similar to the one
                          below, for a base. I'm using the 150 ground plane kit with the longer
                          ground elements though.

                          I've never tried the "Spectra" but I do have the base version, the "Ferret"
                          and I'm not too impressed with it's performance. It works pretty good on
                          150 mhz but that's about it.

                          Mike

                        • Dannypa_27
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 10, 2012
                            I never knew you could have one on a bicycle? Do you have any pictures of it? Thanks.

                            --danny

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 10, 2012
                              I love the Larsen NMO-2/70 dual band antennas. They work better than
                              anything else I've tried. I haven't tried the tri-band antennas, but
                              they are likely of similar design. Still, the dual band antennas work
                              very well on 800 MHz, and even decent on Low Band.

                              Joe M.

                            • John
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 11, 2012
                                You can put an antenna on anything..... even my skid steer will have one
                                with a mount for an HP1 and amplified speaker so I can listen while I tear
                                up the yard.

                                wrote:

                                > The best multi-band antenna I've used is the LARSEN 150/450/800 mobile.
                                > have one on my car, bicycle, and use a ground plane kit, similar to the
                                > one
                                > below, for a base. I'm using the 150 ground plane kit with the longer
                                > ground elements though.
                                >
                                > I've never tried the "Spectra" but I do have the base version, the
                                > "Ferret"
                                > and I'm not too impressed with it's performance. It works pretty good on
                                > 150 mhz but that's about it.
                                >
                                > Mike
                                >
                                > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Mark Levine, D.C. <wb2eqe@...>
                                > wrote:
                                >
                                > > **
                                > >

                                > > http://www.alpha2zuluelectronics.com/NMO-ground-plane-kit-p/1465.htm
                                > >
                                > > works fine
                                > >
                                > > ML

                              • dataman60435
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 11, 2012
                                  "John" your a true "SCANNERMAN"......And i luv how u voice your opinion on things!!

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 11, 2012
                                    lol..... don't even get me going on encryption......

                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 15, 2012
                                      Pictures attached..................