Re: [BCD396XT] Base Antenna Suggestion

  • Clark Rennie
    Message 1 of 24 , May 8 10:10 PM
      The cheapest I have seen the ST-2 if for $34.00 here.
      http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=ST2&d=AntennaCraft-ST2-Scanner-Antenna-Kit-with-50-Foot-Cable-(ST2)

      Clark

      At 09:06 PM 5/8/2012, you wrote:

      >That's what I was going to recommend. I have one right below a Discone,
      >and it really kicks the Discone's rear end - picking up 5 weather
      >channels when the Discone has trouble picking up three, for example.
      >
      >You should be able to get the ST-2 for less than $50 shipped.
      >
      >Joe M.
      >
      >John Kintz wrote:
      > > If cost is a factor, you might wish to consider the ST-2 Scantenna.
      > > I've had several of these over the years and I would say that,
      > > performance-wise, they're hard to beat for the price. The first
      > > generation ones were a bit flimsy but the newer ones are built more like
      > > a typical TV antenna. They are pretty popular and can be purchased from
      > > numerous sources... use Google - the following link is just an example:
      > >
      > > http://www.rrcom.com/sales/ScannerAccs/scantenna.html
      > >
      > > JK
      > >

      > > On 5/8/2012 7:34 PM, Robert Klamp Jr. wrote:
      > >> I have heard very good things about this antenna, I am actually
      > >> thinking of replacing my old ICOM AH7000 Discone antennas with these.
      > >> I have one at my vacation house and it works great might be worth it
      > >> to check it out at the following link.
      > >>
      > >> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1628.html
    • John
      Message 2 of 24 , May 8 10:45 PM
        I don't like the Scantenna at all, had one destroyed by 40MPH wind while my
        discone survived a tornado that took out 40 trees in my yard. This discone
        isn't the cheap radio shack version but around $149 and with LMR400 coax and
        the antenna at around 65' I pick up Louisville Suburban VHF High band from
        70+ miles away. Some days I hear Lexington PD and on occasion St Louis Fire
        3 states away. The discone has always outperformed the scantenna
        for me, but then you get what you pay for too. Why skimp on an antenna and
        coax when your using a $500 scanner?

        At 09:06 PM 5/8/2012, you wrote:

        >That's what I was going to recommend. I have one right below a Discone,
        >and it really kicks the Discone's rear end - picking up 5 weather
        >channels when the Discone has trouble picking up three, for example.
        >
        >You should be able to get the ST-2 for less than $50 shipped.
        >
        >Joe M.
        >
        >John Kintz wrote:
        > > If cost is a factor, you might wish to consider the ST-2 Scantenna.
        > > I've had several of these over the years and I would say that,
        > > performance-wise, they're hard to beat for the price. The first
        > > generation ones were a bit flimsy but the newer ones are built more like
        > > a typical TV antenna. They are pretty popular and can be purchased from
        > > numerous sources... use Google - the following link is just an example:
        > >
        > > http://www.rrcom.com/sales/ScannerAccs/scantenna.html
        > >
        > > JK
        > >

        > > On 5/8/2012 7:34 PM, Robert Klamp Jr. wrote:
        > >> I have heard very good things about this antenna, I am actually
        > >> thinking of replacing my old ICOM AH7000 Discone antennas with these.
        > >> I have one at my vacation house and it works great might be worth it
        > >> to check it out at the following link.
        > >>
        > >> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1628.html

      • Michael Hopkins
        Message 3 of 24 , May 9 3:45 AM
          I use a Discone --- great omni directional antenna --- sitting on a 30 foot
          pole, but the trick is to use a good, low loss feed line. I use ½ inch
          semi-rigid hard line left over from the cable tv guys – it’s 75 ohms, but
          that doesn’t matter much…. Also, I have a commercially available pre-amp
          that’s good to about 1GHz.

          With the above, I can hear pretty much anything in a 60 mile radius….

          Mike Hopkins – K1VLB

          Home: 603 882 2030

          Cell: 603 765 3736

          Mhopkins735@...

          Message 4 of 24 , May 9 7:06 AM
            Thanks for the link, Clark. I just bought one of those at that price!
            What a deal.

            Mike-KC9NSA

            At 09:06 PM 5/8/2012, you wrote:

            >That's what I was going to recommend. I have one right below a Discone,
            >and it really kicks the Discone's rear end - picking up 5 weather
            >channels when the Discone has trouble picking up three, for example.
            >
            >You should be able to get the ST-2 for less than $50 shipped.
            >
            >Joe M.
            >
            >John Kintz wrote:
            > > If cost is a factor, you might wish to consider the ST-2 Scantenna.
            > > I've had several of these over the years and I would say that,
            > > performance-wise, they're hard to beat for the price. The first
            > > generation ones were a bit flimsy but the newer ones are built more
            like
            > > a typical TV antenna. They are pretty popular and can be purchased
            from
            > > numerous sources... use Google - the following link is just an
            example:

            > > http://www.rrcom.com/sales/ScannerAccs/scantenna.html
            > >
            > > JK
            > >

            > > On 5/8/2012 7:34 PM, Robert Klamp Jr. wrote:
            > >> I have heard very good things about this antenna, I am actually
            > >> thinking of replacing my old ICOM AH7000 Discone antennas with
            these.
            > >> I have one at my vacation house and it works great might be worth
            it
            > >> to check it out at the following link.
            > >>
            > >> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1628.html

          • Shawn Kurschner
            Message 5 of 24 , May 9 9:08 AM
              Is this different than the ScanTenna?

              On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Michael Sigler <mike@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Thanks for the link, Clark. I just bought one of those at that price!
              > What a deal.
              >
              > Mike-KC9NSA

              *Shawn Kurschner*

              *(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

              *Manitowoc, WI USA
              *

            • Shawn Kurschner
              Message 6 of 24 , May 9 9:10 AM
                Nevermind, just answered my own question.

                --

                *Shawn Kurschner*

                *(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

                *Manitowoc, WI USA
                *

              • tachorn@live.com
                Message 7 of 24 , May 9 9:39 AM
                  Thanks for all the info, the ST2 is not what I am looking for. I am wanting something with a fairly small foot print. Discone looks like it will be my choice, but thoughts on a mobile NMO scanner antenna with a ground plane kit on a mast?

                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Sigler" <mike@...> wrote:

                  > A lot of it will depend on the height of your base antenna and your
                  > local average terrain height and where the transmitter and height of the
                  > transmitter is. The Discone antenna receives very well and its
                  > wideband. I have one myself and a preamp is always nice to use too.
                  >

                  > Mike-KC9NSA

                • Mark Levine, D.C.
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 9 9:54 AM
                    In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                    http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 9 9:56 AM
                      That is actually a good solution. I used to be an RF Mobile Field Tech, and serviced a lot of systems. I visited a few sites that used NMO with ground plane
                      kit.

                      -Lance

                    • tachorn@live.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 9 10:16 AM
                        I saw the spectra yesterday while I was looking and it really caught my attention. What are my options for ground plane kits other than the one listed with the spectra? Do they make a ground plane kit with an N connector or pl259 so I can use a better feed line? I will need around 50ft feed line. I dont want a 7ft tall antenna on the house.

                        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:

                        > In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                        > http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

                      • Mark Levine, D.C.
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 9 10:42 AM
                          http://www.alpha2zuluelectronics.com/NMO-ground-plane-kit-p/1465.htm

                          works fine

                          ML
                          >I saw the spectra yesterday while I was looking and it really caught my
                          >attention. What are my options for ground plane kits other than the one
                          >listed with the spectra? Do they make a ground plane kit with an N
                          >connector or pl259 so I can use a better feed line? I will need around
                          >50ft feed line. I dont want a 7ft tall antenna on the house.
                          >
                          > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                          >> http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

                        • MICHAEL BENNETT
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 10 11:12 AM
                            The best multi-band antenna I've used is the LARSEN 150/450/800 mobile. I
                            have one on my car, bicycle, and use a ground plane kit, similar to the one
                            below, for a base. I'm using the 150 ground plane kit with the longer
                            ground elements though.

                            I've never tried the "Spectra" but I do have the base version, the "Ferret"
                            and I'm not too impressed with it's performance. It works pretty good on
                            150 mhz but that's about it.

                            Mike

                          • Dannypa_27
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 10 3:54 PM
                              I never knew you could have one on a bicycle? Do you have any pictures of it? Thanks.

                              --danny

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 10 7:09 PM
                                I love the Larsen NMO-2/70 dual band antennas. They work better than
                                anything else I've tried. I haven't tried the tri-band antennas, but
                                they are likely of similar design. Still, the dual band antennas work
                                very well on 800 MHz, and even decent on Low Band.

                                Joe M.

                              • John
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 11 10:09 AM
                                  You can put an antenna on anything..... even my skid steer will have one
                                  with a mount for an HP1 and amplified speaker so I can listen while I tear
                                  up the yard.

                                  wrote:

                                  > The best multi-band antenna I've used is the LARSEN 150/450/800 mobile.
                                  > have one on my car, bicycle, and use a ground plane kit, similar to the
                                  > one
                                  > below, for a base. I'm using the 150 ground plane kit with the longer
                                  > ground elements though.
                                  >
                                  > I've never tried the "Spectra" but I do have the base version, the
                                  > "Ferret"
                                  > and I'm not too impressed with it's performance. It works pretty good on
                                  > 150 mhz but that's about it.
                                  >
                                  > Mike
                                  >
                                  > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Mark Levine, D.C. <wb2eqe@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > **
                                  > >

                                  > > http://www.alpha2zuluelectronics.com/NMO-ground-plane-kit-p/1465.htm
                                  > >
                                  > > works fine
                                  > >
                                  > > ML

                                • dataman60435
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 11 11:47 AM
                                    "John" your a true "SCANNERMAN"......And i luv how u voice your opinion on things!!

                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 11 12:44 PM
                                      lol..... don't even get me going on encryption......

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 15 4:22 PM
                                        Pictures attached..................