RE: [BCD396XT] Base Antenna Suggestion

  • Michael Sigler
    Message 1 of 24 , May 8, 2012
      A lot of it will depend on the height of your base antenna and your
      local average terrain height and where the transmitter and height of the
      transmitter is. The Discone antenna receives very well and its
      wideband. I have one myself and a preamp is always nice to use too.

      Mike-KC9NSA

      Message 2 of 24 , May 8, 2012
        That's what I was going to recommend. I have one right below a Discone,
        and it really kicks the Discone's rear end - picking up 5 weather
        channels when the Discone has trouble picking up three, for example.

        You should be able to get the ST-2 for less than $50 shipped.

        Joe M.

        John Kintz wrote:
        > If cost is a factor, you might wish to consider the ST-2 Scantenna.
        > I've had several of these over the years and I would say that,
        > performance-wise, they're hard to beat for the price. The first
        > generation ones were a bit flimsy but the newer ones are built more like
        > a typical TV antenna. They are pretty popular and can be purchased from
        > numerous sources... use Google - the following link is just an example:
        >
        > http://www.rrcom.com/sales/ScannerAccs/scantenna.html
        >
        > JK
        >

        > On 5/8/2012 7:34 PM, Robert Klamp Jr. wrote:
        >> I have heard very good things about this antenna, I am actually
        >> thinking of replacing my old ICOM AH7000 Discone antennas with these.
        >> I have one at my vacation house and it works great might be worth it
        >> to check it out at the following link.
        >>
        >> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1628.html

      • Clark Rennie
        Message 3 of 24 , May 8, 2012
          The cheapest I have seen the ST-2 if for $34.00 here.
          http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=ST2&d=AntennaCraft-ST2-Scanner-Antenna-Kit-with-50-Foot-Cable-(ST2)

          Clark

          At 09:06 PM 5/8/2012, you wrote:

          >That's what I was going to recommend. I have one right below a Discone,
          >and it really kicks the Discone's rear end - picking up 5 weather
          >channels when the Discone has trouble picking up three, for example.
          >
          >You should be able to get the ST-2 for less than $50 shipped.
          >
          >Joe M.
          >
          >John Kintz wrote:
          > > If cost is a factor, you might wish to consider the ST-2 Scantenna.
          > > I've had several of these over the years and I would say that,
          > > performance-wise, they're hard to beat for the price. The first
          > > generation ones were a bit flimsy but the newer ones are built more like
          > > a typical TV antenna. They are pretty popular and can be purchased from
          > > numerous sources... use Google - the following link is just an example:
          > >
          > > http://www.rrcom.com/sales/ScannerAccs/scantenna.html
          > >
          > > JK
          > >

          > > On 5/8/2012 7:34 PM, Robert Klamp Jr. wrote:
          > >> I have heard very good things about this antenna, I am actually
          > >> thinking of replacing my old ICOM AH7000 Discone antennas with these.
          > >> I have one at my vacation house and it works great might be worth it
          > >> to check it out at the following link.
          > >>
          > >> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1628.html
        • John
          Message 4 of 24 , May 8, 2012
            I don't like the Scantenna at all, had one destroyed by 40MPH wind while my
            discone survived a tornado that took out 40 trees in my yard. This discone
            isn't the cheap radio shack version but around $149 and with LMR400 coax and
            the antenna at around 65' I pick up Louisville Suburban VHF High band from
            70+ miles away. Some days I hear Lexington PD and on occasion St Louis Fire
            3 states away. The discone has always outperformed the scantenna
            for me, but then you get what you pay for too. Why skimp on an antenna and
            coax when your using a $500 scanner?

            At 09:06 PM 5/8/2012, you wrote:

            >That's what I was going to recommend. I have one right below a Discone,
            >and it really kicks the Discone's rear end - picking up 5 weather
            >channels when the Discone has trouble picking up three, for example.
            >
            >You should be able to get the ST-2 for less than $50 shipped.
            >
            >Joe M.
            >
            >John Kintz wrote:
            > > If cost is a factor, you might wish to consider the ST-2 Scantenna.
            > > I've had several of these over the years and I would say that,
            > > performance-wise, they're hard to beat for the price. The first
            > > generation ones were a bit flimsy but the newer ones are built more like
            > > a typical TV antenna. They are pretty popular and can be purchased from
            > > numerous sources... use Google - the following link is just an example:
            > >
            > > http://www.rrcom.com/sales/ScannerAccs/scantenna.html
            > >
            > > JK
            > >

            > > On 5/8/2012 7:34 PM, Robert Klamp Jr. wrote:
            > >> I have heard very good things about this antenna, I am actually
            > >> thinking of replacing my old ICOM AH7000 Discone antennas with these.
            > >> I have one at my vacation house and it works great might be worth it
            > >> to check it out at the following link.
            > >>
            > >> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1628.html

          • Michael Hopkins
            Message 5 of 24 , May 9, 2012
              I use a Discone --- great omni directional antenna --- sitting on a 30 foot
              pole, but the trick is to use a good, low loss feed line. I use ½ inch
              semi-rigid hard line left over from the cable tv guys – it’s 75 ohms, but
              that doesn’t matter much…. Also, I have a commercially available pre-amp
              that’s good to about 1GHz.

              With the above, I can hear pretty much anything in a 60 mile radius….

              Mike Hopkins – K1VLB

              Home: 603 882 2030

              Cell: 603 765 3736

              Mhopkins735@...

              Message 6 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                Thanks for the link, Clark. I just bought one of those at that price!
                What a deal.

                Mike-KC9NSA

                At 09:06 PM 5/8/2012, you wrote:

                >That's what I was going to recommend. I have one right below a Discone,
                >and it really kicks the Discone's rear end - picking up 5 weather
                >channels when the Discone has trouble picking up three, for example.
                >
                >You should be able to get the ST-2 for less than $50 shipped.
                >
                >Joe M.
                >
                >John Kintz wrote:
                > > If cost is a factor, you might wish to consider the ST-2 Scantenna.
                > > I've had several of these over the years and I would say that,
                > > performance-wise, they're hard to beat for the price. The first
                > > generation ones were a bit flimsy but the newer ones are built more
                like
                > > a typical TV antenna. They are pretty popular and can be purchased
                from
                > > numerous sources... use Google - the following link is just an
                example:

                > > http://www.rrcom.com/sales/ScannerAccs/scantenna.html
                > >
                > > JK
                > >

                > > On 5/8/2012 7:34 PM, Robert Klamp Jr. wrote:
                > >> I have heard very good things about this antenna, I am actually
                > >> thinking of replacing my old ICOM AH7000 Discone antennas with
                these.
                > >> I have one at my vacation house and it works great might be worth
                it
                > >> to check it out at the following link.
                > >>
                > >> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1628.html

              • Shawn Kurschner
                Message 7 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                  Is this different than the ScanTenna?

                  On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Michael Sigler <mike@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Thanks for the link, Clark. I just bought one of those at that price!
                  > What a deal.
                  >
                  > Mike-KC9NSA

                  *Shawn Kurschner*

                  *(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

                  *Manitowoc, WI USA
                  *

                • Shawn Kurschner
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                    Nevermind, just answered my own question.

                    --

                    *Shawn Kurschner*

                    *(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

                    *Manitowoc, WI USA
                    *

                  • tachorn@live.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                      Thanks for all the info, the ST2 is not what I am looking for. I am wanting something with a fairly small foot print. Discone looks like it will be my choice, but thoughts on a mobile NMO scanner antenna with a ground plane kit on a mast?

                      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Sigler" <mike@...> wrote:

                      > A lot of it will depend on the height of your base antenna and your
                      > local average terrain height and where the transmitter and height of the
                      > transmitter is. The Discone antenna receives very well and its
                      > wideband. I have one myself and a preamp is always nice to use too.
                      >

                      > Mike-KC9NSA

                    • Mark Levine, D.C.
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                        In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                        http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                          That is actually a good solution. I used to be an RF Mobile Field Tech, and serviced a lot of systems. I visited a few sites that used NMO with ground plane
                          kit.

                          -Lance

                        • tachorn@live.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                            I saw the spectra yesterday while I was looking and it really caught my attention. What are my options for ground plane kits other than the one listed with the spectra? Do they make a ground plane kit with an N connector or pl259 so I can use a better feed line? I will need around 50ft feed line. I dont want a 7ft tall antenna on the house.

                            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:

                            > In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                            > http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

                          • Mark Levine, D.C.
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 9, 2012
                              http://www.alpha2zuluelectronics.com/NMO-ground-plane-kit-p/1465.htm

                              works fine

                              ML
                              >I saw the spectra yesterday while I was looking and it really caught my
                              >attention. What are my options for ground plane kits other than the one
                              >listed with the spectra? Do they make a ground plane kit with an N
                              >connector or pl259 so I can use a better feed line? I will need around
                              >50ft feed line. I dont want a 7ft tall antenna on the house.
                              >
                              > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                              >> http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

                            • MICHAEL BENNETT
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 10, 2012
                                The best multi-band antenna I've used is the LARSEN 150/450/800 mobile. I
                                have one on my car, bicycle, and use a ground plane kit, similar to the one
                                below, for a base. I'm using the 150 ground plane kit with the longer
                                ground elements though.

                                I've never tried the "Spectra" but I do have the base version, the "Ferret"
                                and I'm not too impressed with it's performance. It works pretty good on
                                150 mhz but that's about it.

                                Mike

                              • Dannypa_27
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 10, 2012
                                  I never knew you could have one on a bicycle? Do you have any pictures of it? Thanks.

                                  --danny

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 10, 2012
                                    I love the Larsen NMO-2/70 dual band antennas. They work better than
                                    anything else I've tried. I haven't tried the tri-band antennas, but
                                    they are likely of similar design. Still, the dual band antennas work
                                    very well on 800 MHz, and even decent on Low Band.

                                    Joe M.

                                  • John
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 11, 2012
                                      You can put an antenna on anything..... even my skid steer will have one
                                      with a mount for an HP1 and amplified speaker so I can listen while I tear
                                      up the yard.

                                      wrote:

                                      > The best multi-band antenna I've used is the LARSEN 150/450/800 mobile.
                                      > have one on my car, bicycle, and use a ground plane kit, similar to the
                                      > one
                                      > below, for a base. I'm using the 150 ground plane kit with the longer
                                      > ground elements though.
                                      >
                                      > I've never tried the "Spectra" but I do have the base version, the
                                      > "Ferret"
                                      > and I'm not too impressed with it's performance. It works pretty good on
                                      > 150 mhz but that's about it.
                                      >
                                      > Mike
                                      >
                                      > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Mark Levine, D.C. <wb2eqe@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > **
                                      > >

                                      > > http://www.alpha2zuluelectronics.com/NMO-ground-plane-kit-p/1465.htm
                                      > >
                                      > > works fine
                                      > >
                                      > > ML

                                    • dataman60435
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 11, 2012
                                        "John" your a true "SCANNERMAN"......And i luv how u voice your opinion on things!!

                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 11, 2012
                                          lol..... don't even get me going on encryption......

                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 15, 2012
                                            Pictures attached..................