RE: [BCD396XT] Base Antenna Suggestion

  • Robert Klamp Jr.
    Message 1 of 24 , May 8 4:34 PM
      I have heard very good things about this antenna, I am actually thinking of replacing my old ICOM AH7000 Discone antennas with these. I have one at my vacation house and it works great might be worth it to check it out at the following link.

      http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1628.html

      Hope this helps,

      Bob

      From: tachorn@... <mailto:tachorn%40live.com>
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
      CC:

      I am in the market for a new base antenna, I have the 369xt and want to get an antenna outside. I listen to VHF HI, UHF and some 800. Most of the 800 is 30-40 miles away. I am not wanting to break the bank, just want improved reception. Please give me some suggestions, I am really looking for an all band antenna.

      Thanks

      TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
      Sexy star reveals curious dating history
      Privacy Policy

    • Michael Sigler
      Message 2 of 24 , May 8 7:12 PM
        A lot of it will depend on the height of your base antenna and your
        local average terrain height and where the transmitter and height of the
        transmitter is. The Discone antenna receives very well and its
        wideband. I have one myself and a preamp is always nice to use too.

        Mike-KC9NSA

        Message 3 of 24 , May 8 8:02 PM
          If cost is a factor, you might wish to consider the ST-2 Scantenna.
          I've had several of these over the years and I would say that,
          performance-wise, they're hard to beat for the price. The first
          generation ones were a bit flimsy but the newer ones are built more like
          a typical TV antenna. They are pretty popular and can be purchased from
          numerous sources... use Google - the following link is just an example:

          http://www.rrcom.com/sales/ScannerAccs/scantenna.html

          JK

          Message 4 of 24 , May 8 9:06 PM
            That's what I was going to recommend. I have one right below a Discone,
            and it really kicks the Discone's rear end - picking up 5 weather
            channels when the Discone has trouble picking up three, for example.

            You should be able to get the ST-2 for less than $50 shipped.

            Joe M.

            John Kintz wrote:
            > If cost is a factor, you might wish to consider the ST-2 Scantenna.
            > I've had several of these over the years and I would say that,
            > performance-wise, they're hard to beat for the price. The first
            > generation ones were a bit flimsy but the newer ones are built more like
            > a typical TV antenna. They are pretty popular and can be purchased from
            > numerous sources... use Google - the following link is just an example:
            >
            > http://www.rrcom.com/sales/ScannerAccs/scantenna.html
            >
            > JK
            >

            > On 5/8/2012 7:34 PM, Robert Klamp Jr. wrote:
            >> I have heard very good things about this antenna, I am actually
            >> thinking of replacing my old ICOM AH7000 Discone antennas with these.
            >> I have one at my vacation house and it works great might be worth it
            >> to check it out at the following link.
            >>
            >> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1628.html

          • Clark Rennie
            Message 5 of 24 , May 8 10:10 PM
              The cheapest I have seen the ST-2 if for $34.00 here.
              http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=ST2&d=AntennaCraft-ST2-Scanner-Antenna-Kit-with-50-Foot-Cable-(ST2)

              Clark

              At 09:06 PM 5/8/2012, you wrote:

              >That's what I was going to recommend. I have one right below a Discone,
              >and it really kicks the Discone's rear end - picking up 5 weather
              >channels when the Discone has trouble picking up three, for example.
              >
              >You should be able to get the ST-2 for less than $50 shipped.
              >
              >Joe M.
              >
              >John Kintz wrote:
              > > If cost is a factor, you might wish to consider the ST-2 Scantenna.
              > > I've had several of these over the years and I would say that,
              > > performance-wise, they're hard to beat for the price. The first
              > > generation ones were a bit flimsy but the newer ones are built more like
              > > a typical TV antenna. They are pretty popular and can be purchased from
              > > numerous sources... use Google - the following link is just an example:
              > >
              > > http://www.rrcom.com/sales/ScannerAccs/scantenna.html
              > >
              > > JK
              > >

              > > On 5/8/2012 7:34 PM, Robert Klamp Jr. wrote:
              > >> I have heard very good things about this antenna, I am actually
              > >> thinking of replacing my old ICOM AH7000 Discone antennas with these.
              > >> I have one at my vacation house and it works great might be worth it
              > >> to check it out at the following link.
              > >>
              > >> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1628.html
            • John
              Message 6 of 24 , May 8 10:45 PM
                I don't like the Scantenna at all, had one destroyed by 40MPH wind while my
                discone survived a tornado that took out 40 trees in my yard. This discone
                isn't the cheap radio shack version but around $149 and with LMR400 coax and
                the antenna at around 65' I pick up Louisville Suburban VHF High band from
                70+ miles away. Some days I hear Lexington PD and on occasion St Louis Fire
                3 states away. The discone has always outperformed the scantenna
                for me, but then you get what you pay for too. Why skimp on an antenna and
                coax when your using a $500 scanner?

                At 09:06 PM 5/8/2012, you wrote:

                >That's what I was going to recommend. I have one right below a Discone,
                >and it really kicks the Discone's rear end - picking up 5 weather
                >channels when the Discone has trouble picking up three, for example.
                >
                >You should be able to get the ST-2 for less than $50 shipped.
                >
                >Joe M.
                >
                >John Kintz wrote:
                > > If cost is a factor, you might wish to consider the ST-2 Scantenna.
                > > I've had several of these over the years and I would say that,
                > > performance-wise, they're hard to beat for the price. The first
                > > generation ones were a bit flimsy but the newer ones are built more like
                > > a typical TV antenna. They are pretty popular and can be purchased from
                > > numerous sources... use Google - the following link is just an example:
                > >
                > > http://www.rrcom.com/sales/ScannerAccs/scantenna.html
                > >
                > > JK
                > >

                > > On 5/8/2012 7:34 PM, Robert Klamp Jr. wrote:
                > >> I have heard very good things about this antenna, I am actually
                > >> thinking of replacing my old ICOM AH7000 Discone antennas with these.
                > >> I have one at my vacation house and it works great might be worth it
                > >> to check it out at the following link.
                > >>
                > >> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1628.html

              • Michael Hopkins
                Message 7 of 24 , May 9 3:45 AM
                  I use a Discone --- great omni directional antenna --- sitting on a 30 foot
                  pole, but the trick is to use a good, low loss feed line. I use ½ inch
                  semi-rigid hard line left over from the cable tv guys – it’s 75 ohms, but
                  that doesn’t matter much…. Also, I have a commercially available pre-amp
                  that’s good to about 1GHz.

                  With the above, I can hear pretty much anything in a 60 mile radius….

                  Mike Hopkins – K1VLB

                  Home: 603 882 2030

                  Cell: 603 765 3736

                  Mhopkins735@...

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 9 7:06 AM
                    Thanks for the link, Clark. I just bought one of those at that price!
                    What a deal.

                    Mike-KC9NSA

                    At 09:06 PM 5/8/2012, you wrote:

                    >That's what I was going to recommend. I have one right below a Discone,
                    >and it really kicks the Discone's rear end - picking up 5 weather
                    >channels when the Discone has trouble picking up three, for example.
                    >
                    >You should be able to get the ST-2 for less than $50 shipped.
                    >
                    >Joe M.
                    >
                    >John Kintz wrote:
                    > > If cost is a factor, you might wish to consider the ST-2 Scantenna.
                    > > I've had several of these over the years and I would say that,
                    > > performance-wise, they're hard to beat for the price. The first
                    > > generation ones were a bit flimsy but the newer ones are built more
                    like
                    > > a typical TV antenna. They are pretty popular and can be purchased
                    from
                    > > numerous sources... use Google - the following link is just an
                    example:

                    > > http://www.rrcom.com/sales/ScannerAccs/scantenna.html
                    > >
                    > > JK
                    > >

                    > > On 5/8/2012 7:34 PM, Robert Klamp Jr. wrote:
                    > >> I have heard very good things about this antenna, I am actually
                    > >> thinking of replacing my old ICOM AH7000 Discone antennas with
                    these.
                    > >> I have one at my vacation house and it works great might be worth
                    it
                    > >> to check it out at the following link.
                    > >>
                    > >> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1628.html

                  • Shawn Kurschner
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 9 9:08 AM
                      Is this different than the ScanTenna?

                      On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Michael Sigler <mike@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Thanks for the link, Clark. I just bought one of those at that price!
                      > What a deal.
                      >
                      > Mike-KC9NSA

                      *Shawn Kurschner*

                      *(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

                      *Manitowoc, WI USA
                      *

                    • Shawn Kurschner
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 9 9:10 AM
                        Nevermind, just answered my own question.

                        --

                        *Shawn Kurschner*

                        *(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

                        *Manitowoc, WI USA
                        *

                      • tachorn@live.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 9 9:39 AM
                          Thanks for all the info, the ST2 is not what I am looking for. I am wanting something with a fairly small foot print. Discone looks like it will be my choice, but thoughts on a mobile NMO scanner antenna with a ground plane kit on a mast?

                          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Sigler" <mike@...> wrote:

                          > A lot of it will depend on the height of your base antenna and your
                          > local average terrain height and where the transmitter and height of the
                          > transmitter is. The Discone antenna receives very well and its
                          > wideband. I have one myself and a preamp is always nice to use too.
                          >

                          > Mike-KC9NSA

                        • Mark Levine, D.C.
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 9 9:54 AM
                            In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                            http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 9 9:56 AM
                              That is actually a good solution. I used to be an RF Mobile Field Tech, and serviced a lot of systems. I visited a few sites that used NMO with ground plane
                              kit.

                              -Lance

                            • tachorn@live.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 9 10:16 AM
                                I saw the spectra yesterday while I was looking and it really caught my attention. What are my options for ground plane kits other than the one listed with the spectra? Do they make a ground plane kit with an N connector or pl259 so I can use a better feed line? I will need around 50ft feed line. I dont want a 7ft tall antenna on the house.

                                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:

                                > In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                                > http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

                              • Mark Levine, D.C.
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 9 10:42 AM
                                  http://www.alpha2zuluelectronics.com/NMO-ground-plane-kit-p/1465.htm

                                  works fine

                                  ML
                                  >I saw the spectra yesterday while I was looking and it really caught my
                                  >attention. What are my options for ground plane kits other than the one
                                  >listed with the spectra? Do they make a ground plane kit with an N
                                  >connector or pl259 so I can use a better feed line? I will need around
                                  >50ft feed line. I dont want a 7ft tall antenna on the house.
                                  >
                                  > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> In that case you may want to look at the Austin Spectra, it's excellent.
                                  >> http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

                                • MICHAEL BENNETT
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 10 11:12 AM
                                    The best multi-band antenna I've used is the LARSEN 150/450/800 mobile. I
                                    have one on my car, bicycle, and use a ground plane kit, similar to the one
                                    below, for a base. I'm using the 150 ground plane kit with the longer
                                    ground elements though.

                                    I've never tried the "Spectra" but I do have the base version, the "Ferret"
                                    and I'm not too impressed with it's performance. It works pretty good on
                                    150 mhz but that's about it.

                                    Mike

                                  • Dannypa_27
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 10 3:54 PM
                                      I never knew you could have one on a bicycle? Do you have any pictures of it? Thanks.

                                      --danny

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 10 7:09 PM
                                        I love the Larsen NMO-2/70 dual band antennas. They work better than
                                        anything else I've tried. I haven't tried the tri-band antennas, but
                                        they are likely of similar design. Still, the dual band antennas work
                                        very well on 800 MHz, and even decent on Low Band.

                                        Joe M.

                                      • John
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 11 10:09 AM
                                          You can put an antenna on anything..... even my skid steer will have one
                                          with a mount for an HP1 and amplified speaker so I can listen while I tear
                                          up the yard.

                                          wrote:

                                          > The best multi-band antenna I've used is the LARSEN 150/450/800 mobile.
                                          > have one on my car, bicycle, and use a ground plane kit, similar to the
                                          > one
                                          > below, for a base. I'm using the 150 ground plane kit with the longer
                                          > ground elements though.
                                          >
                                          > I've never tried the "Spectra" but I do have the base version, the
                                          > "Ferret"
                                          > and I'm not too impressed with it's performance. It works pretty good on
                                          > 150 mhz but that's about it.
                                          >
                                          > Mike
                                          >
                                          > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Mark Levine, D.C. <wb2eqe@...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > **
                                          > >

                                          > > http://www.alpha2zuluelectronics.com/NMO-ground-plane-kit-p/1465.htm
                                          > >
                                          > > works fine
                                          > >
                                          > > ML

                                        • dataman60435
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 11 11:47 AM
                                            "John" your a true "SCANNERMAN"......And i luv how u voice your opinion on things!!

                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 11 12:44 PM
                                              lol..... don't even get me going on encryption......

                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 15 4:22 PM
                                                Pictures attached..................