Re: [BCD396XT] Multi-site functionality

  • johnstark
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 18, 2008
      SAFET shouldn't be an issue, if a unit has been logged onto a particular
      tower and changes towers it will still come across the first tower and vice
      versa. Units that have not registered with a particular tower though will
      not be heard. ie: if that radio has transmitted through that tower it will
      be able to be heard through even when on a another nearby tower. Of course
      if you don't have the TG ID in the list (and unlocked) when on ID scan
      you'll still hear it. Same if your in ID Search except the ID doesn't need
      to be in the list. Thats how the 996 works. The difference is you'll be able
      to have more ID in the lists with the new 396XT as well as all the tower
      sites according to the wiki specs.

      SAFET is nice in the fact you can hear units through towers other the one
      they are using. I listen to a number of departments well outside the normal
      range of the tower sites I'm actually monitoring. I hear Batholomew Co.
      Sheriff through the Fairland tower in Shelby Co. and Bartholomew Co is 50
      miles away, or like tonight I'm in Rushville, Rush Co. and listening to
      everything going on in ISP Dist. 51 (Indy) through both the Fairland and
      Rush Co tower sites on the 996 in the car sitting in a school parking lot.
      Yup, Fairland tower was coming through strong all the way in Rush Co 35-40
      miles away.

      Anyway, the multisite will be nice in the 396 package, and if it's like the
      996 it will work great.

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 19, 2008
        I replied from my phone last night and didn't realize it had not loaded all of Joe's message...I just got to read all of it.

        If you hold on a TGID, it will only watch the current site, not others. If it was set up to look for the ID on other sites, you would more often than not miss most traffic. Each site would require a significant part of a second to tune and receive existing channel activity. So, if it were to say have 5 sites to check, on average you'd enter every comm on the channel about 2.5 seconds late.

        The most likely place for a comm to resume is on the site it was last on. Having it hold the current site will maintain reception of the TGID in the vast majority of instances.

        You could try this yourself by putting a TGID that is only active on one site in a channel group by itself, enabling only that channel group, then having it scan multiple receivable sites.

        And I also seen something about it on the official press realease.

        Maybe Paul O. can elaborate a little more on how it works and such and
        if it virtually works like how we have it already on the GRE
        PSR-500/600.

        On Sep 29, 2008, at 5:46 PM, jad270 wrote:

        > There was quite a bit of debate on the 396 forum when it first came
        > out regarding the ability to hold on a talkgroup that site (zone) hops
        > as the transmitting radio travels through the coverage area and
        > re-affiliates with different sites within the radio system. It would
        > be nice to be able to stop on a particular talkgroup and let the radio
        > scan all receivable control channels within a system while holding to
        > find or track the talkgroup. It's a pain to be listening to a
        > conversation that disappears because the conversation has moved to a
        > different site, control, and voice channel. Just thought I'd bring it
        > up again, as last time (Feb/Mar 2005) it was too late in the 396's
        > development cycle and here we are again on the doorstep of another
        > generation of scanner development.

      • roxie2401
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 27, 2008
          Joe,

          Can you possibly describe for us lay-people how multi-site works on the
          GRE units and how it apparently will differ on the BDC396XT? I guess I
          don't fully understand the GRE workings.

          Thanks

          > if it virtually works like how we have it already on the GRE
          > PSR-500/600.

        • johnstark
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 27, 2008
            In short the 600 uses one scan list for all the sites in a multisite system.
            But you can also use more than one scan list for a site and vice versa.
            Basically you can enter something once but use it multiple times

            > Can you possibly describe for us lay-people how multi-site works on the
            > GRE units and how it apparently will differ on the BDC396XT? I guess I
            > don't fully understand the GRE workings.
            >
            > Thanks
            >

            >> if it virtually works like how we have it already on the GRE
            >> PSR-500/600.

          • JETorres
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 27, 2008
              Basically and the definition I'm using for "Multi-Site" is:

              Pausing on a trunked system talkgroup and have the scanner track the
              TG across all the programmed control channels for the system.

              This is useful when tracking "roaming" users on a system since there's
              no way to know which site they might be affiliated to at any given
              time. If you stick to one control channel only and the user has since
              moved on to a different site, you'll miss his subsequent
              transmissions. The latest GRE models offer this feature. From Paul
              O.'s earlier response, the Uniden models including the upcoming
              BCD396XT do not have this feature.