Handheld Antenna

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 20, 2012
      I just got a BCD396XT and I did an archive search for the best antenna to use and it seems the talk was mostly about antennas for the home. It was about roof-top and discone antennas.

      The stock antenna does not seem good at picking up conversations, even those close by. It starts late and ends after a second or two. Close Call and Weather are off. So I am guessing it is the antenna.

      I am looking for an antenna to use on my handheld in my car, at home, while walking, and so on. I read in a wiki somewhere that a VHF 1/4 wave antenna is best. Is that true? What is a good brand?

      Thanks.

      Mike

    • Mark Levine, D.C.
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 20, 2012
        Do you have certain frequencies in mind that you are looking for or just an
        antenna for general scanning.

        I recommend both the RadioShack 800Mhz rubber duckie and the Antennex
        DEXE821. for general scanning with an 800 emphasis.

        A quarter wave antenna for VHF is about 19"; I don't imagine you'd want to
        walk around with that.

        doc

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 20, 2012
          First, if you are hearing the conversations, then the scanner just
          starts scanning again, that does not sounds like an antenna issue. Are
          you sure you haven't done something like enable a *negative* delay? A
          negative 2 second delay, for example, would do exactly what you said -
          remain on the channel for 2 seconds then move on - even if the
          conversation is still going on.

          As for starting the conversation late, how many channels are you
          scanning? The more you scan, the more delay until the scanner hits an
          active channel.

          There are better antennas than the stock antenna, but they are also
          larger for the most part. So, you have to answer how large is acceptable
          vs performance. But, I highly recommend you look into the first issue
          first, as your current antenna may be working fine. A quarter wave VHF
          antenna will be 18" tall. That may or may not be acceptable to you.

          Joe M.

          Mike wrote:
          > I just got a BCD396XT and I did an archive search for the best antenna to use and it seems the talk was mostly about antennas for the home. It was about roof-top and discone antennas.
          >
          > The stock antenna does not seem good at picking up conversations, even those close by. It starts late and ends after a second or two. Close Call and Weather are off. So I am guessing it is the antenna.
          >
          > I am looking for an antenna to use on my handheld in my car, at home, while walking, and so on. I read in a wiki somewhere that a VHF 1/4 wave antenna is best. Is that true? What is a good brand?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Mike

        • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 20, 2012
            At 09:22 AM 4/21/2012, you wrote:
            >I just got a BCD396XT and I did an archive search for the best
            >antenna to use and it seems the talk was mostly about antennas for
            >the home. It was about roof-top and discone antennas.
            >
            >The stock antenna does not seem good at picking up conversations,
            >even those close by. It starts late and ends after a second or two.
            >Close Call and Weather are off. So I am guessing it is the antenna.
            >
            >I am looking for an antenna to use on my handheld in my car, at
            >home, while walking, and so on. I read in a wiki somewhere that a
            >VHF 1/4 wave antenna is best. Is that true? What is a good brand?

            The stock antenna I find works well for what it is. Your symptoms
            sound like a combination of the normal operation of a scanner
            scanning a large number of frequencies and the settings used.

            As for what antenna is best, it depends on what you want to use the
            scanner for. For me, the stock antenna is more than adequate for
            portable use. It is on a par with other rubber duck style
            antennas. For mobile use, I use a 160 MHz 1/2 wave. This is because
            this is my main band of interest, specifically, our fire service
            frequencies, which range from around 157 to 165 MHz. If I can
            receive other frequencies, that's a bonus, but I'm not counting on
            it. As it turns out, the antenna does seem to do a fair job at
            receiving the 2m amateur band (144-148 MHz) and UHF CB (477 MHz).

            So it's a case of horses for courses. :)

            73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
            http://vkradio.com
          • Robert Terzi
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
              As others have pointed out the original poster's question of receiving
              partial conversations likely has more to do with scanner settings and
              programming than antennas.

              However since the question was asked about antennas, I thought I'd point out
              this how somewhat dated review from the Strong Signals web site:

              http://www.strongsignals.net/access/reviews/reviews.cgi?type=display&rtype=rev&class=ant&num=003#083100

              My primary interest lies in amateur radio plus some of the other VHF/UHF
              general stuff (public service, marine, gmrs, etc.)

              I use a Diamond RH-77CA, 15" BNC whip on both my Uniden scanner and my ham
              handheld transceivers. I like to keep the BNC adapters on all my radios
              to avoid stress on the SMA connectors.

              I also have a Radio Shack 20-006 telescoping metal whip. which was recommended
              in one of the uniden on-line forums that I've read. I haven't noticed the
              telescoping whip when fully extended picking up much that I didn't get
              with the Diamond RH-77CA.

              Unfortunately both are a bit long for carrying around, so my next project
              is to find a 5" to 8" BNC flexible whip that is a good tradeoff for use
              when on my belt.
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                Using FreeScan, I only see a Hold Tike of 0, P25 Wait Time of 0, Threshold
                of 9 (don't know what that is), and Delay Time of 2. Should I increase the
                Delay Time? I'm still reading the manual and learning about the scanner so
                ALL HELP is appreciated.

                I am scanning about 50 channels.

                No I do not want a tall antenna!

                Thanks.

                Mike

                > First, if you are hearing the conversations, then the scanner just
                > starts scanning again, that does not sounds like an antenna issue. Are
                > you sure you haven't done something like enable a *negative* delay? A
                > negative 2 second delay, for example, would do exactly what you said -
                > remain on the channel for 2 seconds then move on - even if the
                > conversation is still going on.
                >
                > As for starting the conversation late, how many channels are you
                > scanning? The more you scan, the more delay until the scanner hits an
                > active channel.
                >
                > There are better antennas than the stock antenna, but they are also
                > larger for the most part. So, you have to answer how large is acceptable
                > vs performance. But, I highly recommend you look into the first issue
                > first, as your current antenna may be working fine. A quarter wave VHF
                > antenna will be 18" tall. That may or may not be acceptable to you.
                >
                > Joe M.
                >
                > Mike wrote:
                >> I just got a BCD396XT and I did an archive search for the best antenna to
                >> use and it seems the talk was mostly about antennas for the home. It was
                >> about roof-top and discone antennas.
                >>
                >> The stock antenna does not seem good at picking up conversations, even
                >> those close by. It starts late and ends after a second or two. Close Call
                >> and Weather are off. So I am guessing it is the antenna.
                >>
                >> I am looking for an antenna to use on my handheld in my car, at home,
                >> while walking, and so on. I read in a wiki somewhere that a VHF 1/4 wave
                >> antenna is best. Is that true? What is a good brand?
                >>
                >> Thanks.
                >>
                >> Mike

                >> 02:34:00

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                  Interesting. Thanks.

                  > As others have pointed out the original poster's question of receiving
                  > partial conversations likely has more to do with scanner settings and
                  > programming than antennas.
                  >
                  > However since the question was asked about antennas, I thought I'd point
                  > out
                  > this how somewhat dated review from the Strong Signals web site:
                  >
                  > http://www.strongsignals.net/access/reviews/reviews.cgi?type=display&rtype=rev&class=ant&num=003#083100
                  >
                  > My primary interest lies in amateur radio plus some of the other VHF/UHF
                  > general stuff (public service, marine, gmrs, etc.)
                  >
                  > I use a Diamond RH-77CA, 15" BNC whip on both my Uniden scanner and my ham
                  > handheld transceivers. I like to keep the BNC adapters on all my radios
                  > to avoid stress on the SMA connectors.
                  >
                  > I also have a Radio Shack 20-006 telescoping metal whip. which was
                  > recommended
                  > in one of the uniden on-line forums that I've read. I haven't noticed the
                  > telescoping whip when fully extended picking up much that I didn't get
                  > with the Diamond RH-77CA.
                  >
                  > Unfortunately both are a bit long for carrying around, so my next project
                  > is to find a 5" to 8" BNC flexible whip that is a good tradeoff for use
                  > when on my belt.

                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                    I am mostly looking for public safety in the 800 range. Someone else
                    mentioned the RS 800 Mhz rubber duckie. I'll take a look at the Antennex.

                    Thanks.

                    > Do you have certain frequencies in mind that you are looking for or just
                    > an
                    > antenna for general scanning.
                    >
                    > I recommend both the RadioShack 800Mhz rubber duckie and the Antennex
                    > DEXE821. for general scanning with an 800 emphasis.
                    >
                    > A quarter wave antenna for VHF is about 19"; I don't imagine you'd want to
                    > walk around with that.
                    >
                    > doc

                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                      I monitor the 800 Mhz frequencies. I looked at the RS antenna and read the
                      comments. Sounds like the one that I should get and only $20. Hard to lose
                      on that kind of deal. Will get one ASAP.

                      Thanks.

                      Mike

                      > Do you have certain frequencies in mind that you are looking for or just
                      > an
                      > antenna for general scanning.
                      >
                      > I recommend both the RadioShack 800Mhz rubber duckie and the Antennex
                      > DEXE821. for general scanning with an 800 emphasis.
                      >
                      > A quarter wave antenna for VHF is about 19"; I don't imagine you'd want to
                      > walk around with that.
                      >
                      > doc

                    • Mark Levine, D.C.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                        I find they have similar performance. The Antenex gives it a 'cleaner' look
                        as it has an SMA connector which alleviates the need for the sma bnc adapter
                        http://www.wpsantennas.com/exe821sm-antenexcenturion821-902mhzsmamaletufduckantenna.aspx

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                          If 800 MHz is your primary band of interest, I would add another
                          endorsement of the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna. It also does very well
                          on UHF, and about as well at the stock antenna on VHF. On Low Band it
                          stinks, but it will pick up strong signals there.

                          Joe M.

                          Mike wrote:
                          > I am mostly looking for public safety in the 800 range. Someone else
                          > mentioned the RS 800 Mhz rubber duckie. I'll take a look at the Antennex.
                          >
                          > Thanks.

                        • Jeff Miller
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                            Here's a good 800mhz antenna for the 396xt -  https://www.scannermaster.com/800_MHz_2_5db_Portable_SMA_Antenna_p/14-541014.htm

                            ________________________________
                            I am mostly looking for public safety in the 800 range. Someone else
                            mentioned the RS 800 Mhz rubber duckie. I'll take a look at the Antennex.

                            Thanks.

                            > Do you have certain frequencies in mind that you are looking for or just
                            > an
                            > antenna for general scanning.
                            >
                            > I recommend both the RadioShack 800Mhz rubber duckie and the Antennex
                            > DEXE821. for general scanning with an 800 emphasis.
                            >
                            > A quarter wave antenna for VHF is about 19"; I don't imagine you'd want to
                            > walk around with that.
                            >
                            > doc

                          • Michael R. Howes
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                              I have found so far that the Radio Shack 800MHz "rubber ducky" is one of the best handheld antennas for 800MHz.  I live in an area that kinda sits lower than the surrounding area, and the RS 800MHz antenna has really helped bring in the signals where others have not performed quite as well.   Heck for $20, you really can't go wrong.

                              ________________________________

                              > Do you have certain frequencies in mind that you are looking for or just
                              > an
                              > antenna for general scanning.
                              >
                              > I recommend both the RadioShack 800Mhz rubber duckie and the Antennex
                              > DEXE821. for general scanning with an 800 emphasis.
                              >
                              > A quarter wave antenna for VHF is about 19"; I don't imagine you'd want to
                              > walk around with that.
                              >
                              > doc

                            • Robert Bell
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                                Hi, so far I have found the Watson Wsma 889 to be my favourite antenna
                                for
                                size and performance and it is reasonably priced as well. Another
                                favourite
                                is the Diamond RH951S but that's not as convenient for size but
                                performs quite well.

                                Rob.
                                Abbotsford,BC
                                VA7UK
                              • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                                  At 03:30 AM 4/22/2012, you wrote:
                                  >I am mostly looking for public safety in the 800 range. Someone else
                                  >mentioned the RS 800 Mhz rubber duckie. I'll take a look at the Antennex.

                                  An antenna tuned to 800 MHz would be a better choice for you. Same
                                  principle as the 160 MHz antenna I use on the car. It's tuned to the
                                  band of interest, so it should outperform a generic antenna.

                                  73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                                  http://vkradio.com
                                • Ronski45
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 22, 2012
                                    http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/antenna.html

                                    Antenna Performance ratings

                                    The Antenna Challenge
                                    Evaluating the Performance Characteristics of Scanner Antennas