Re: [BCD396XT] Systems With Separate Base & Mobile Channels

  • Milton Engle
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 9, 2012
      System Hold is a manually entered function. Press the HOLD button for 2
      seconds and the scanner stops scanning all systems and stays on the selected
      system, scanning only what is programmed into that system. Be sure to do
      this while there is activity on a channel in the system.

      If you want to scan just the state police LB two frequency simplex radio
      system, I would recommend a second analog only scanner programmed to receive
      just base and mobile frequencies with no delays.

      Scanning a two frequency simplex (aka semi-duplex) system is rather hard to
      do in conjunction with scanning other frequencies. A mobile only hears the
      base frequency unless equipped to receive the mobile channel as well, and
      the base side only hears the mobiles.

      A scanner would stop on the first signal received, wait for any delay to
      expire, and resume scanning. If the order of channels is: base freq, mobile
      freq, freq 3, freq 4, etc.; and the scanner hears a transmission on the
      mobile freq., it will have to scan through any and all other channels before
      returning to the base frequency (providing that none of the other channels
      are active), often resulting in missing some or all of the base
      transmission.

      Putting it another way, the more channels you try to listen to, the less you
      will actually hear.

      Milt
      N3LTQ

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 9, 2012
        What Joe said was 100% correct. While what you say (after the first sentence) is also correct, it isn't what Joe said (and Joe's method is better).

        UpMan

        >________________________________

      • david40_33711
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9, 2012
          You are correct. Don't know if that is an effect or deliberate as part of the design, but toggling the Function Mode On does have the effect of holding on whatever site, system, or search is active at that moment.

          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Uniden UPMan <uniden.upman@...> wrote:

          > What Joe said was 100% correct. While what you say (after the first sentence) is also correct, it isn't what Joe said (and Joe's method is better).
          >

          > UpMan
          > UpMan FAQ: http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/UpMan -- Please read before emailing me directly
          >

          > >________________________________

        • Uniden UPMan
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 9, 2012
            It is by design. Otherwise, it would be almost impossible to turn on/off channel groups in the intended system.

            UpMan

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 9, 2012
              Re-read my post, as I think you misread it.
              I never mentioned the FUNC button.

              And holding on a system can be done as I described. Try it.

              Joe M.

              david40_33711 wrote:
              > That's not true. Holding the Func Button locks or unlocks the Funtion Mode by toggling it on or off.
              > Holding on a system can be done by toggling the rest of the systems off, or assigning a system to a quick key.

              >> If you hold the HOLD button, you will put the scanner into System
              >> Hold mode. To exit this mode, just hold the HOLD button again.
              >>
              >> Joe M.
              >>
              >> Tony Olivero wrote:
              >>> All:
              >>>

              >>> Our local state police are still using some low band channels with base
              >>> stations on one cfrequency and mobiles on another. An LTR system I
              >>> occasionally monitor exhibits similar behavior. Is it possible to get the
              >>> x96XT to hold on a system for a few seconds to see if a response is heard on
              >>> another channel? I thought I saw a "system hold time" option in Freescan but
              >>> wasn't sure if this would work (it hasn't seemed to). Is there a trick to
              >>> setting both the delay (for the channels) and the hold time (for the
              >>> systems)? I'm guessing what's happening is System Hold says "scan for x
              >>> seconds and move to another system," but does it also hold for that many
              >>> seconds after a monitored channel's carrier has dropped and delay has
              >>> expired?
              >>>

              >>> Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
              >>>

              >>> Thanks,
              >>>
              >>> Tony

            • david40_33711
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 9, 2012