Need Input

  • tachorn@live.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 12, 2012
      I am trying to figure out what portable scanner I want to buy and have a few questions. What is the difference between the 396xt and 396t? I am in the Sherman area and all Law Enforcement is digital now, and trying to decide between Uniden and GRE. I have always been a Uniden person and have always been please but not sure on which one to get based on some of the reviews on the digital side. I really like and want to get the Remote head. Any input and or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If you live in the area or monitor please give your input.

      Thanks
      Travis
    • Paul Opitz
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 12, 2012
        Check out http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396XT. In the "Features"
        section, features that are added or enhanced from the BCD396T are bold.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 12, 2012
          When I first went digital I went with GRE, both PSR500 & 600, mainly due to
          the NAC decode capability. I had a 396t prior to that.

          When the 396XT came out I bought one of those along with several 996XTs
          (Two for the car, one for logging at the house and one at work)

          I was running a 996XT and PSR600 in the car at the same time so I had an
          opportunity to compare the two. What I realized pretty quick was that
          strong signals would overload the front end of the GRE's. I had to turn
          the attentuator on but this still caused degraded reception with weak
          signals.

          I would recommend the XT's over GRE for that reason.

          I'm in Sherman also.

          Mike

          On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM, <tachorn@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I am trying to figure out what portable scanner I want to buy and have a
          > few questions. What is the difference between the 396xt and 396t? I am in
          > the Sherman area and all Law Enforcement is digital now, and trying to
          > decide between Uniden and GRE. I have always been a Uniden person and have
          > always been please but not sure on which one to get based on some of the
          > reviews on the digital side. I really like and want to get the Remote head.
          > Any input and or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If you live in the
          > area or monitor please give your input.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Travis

        • John L Waller
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 12, 2012
            One tip here, the link did not work. The reason is that the period is included in the link “BCD396XT.” does not exist, although “BCD396XT” does exist. Your email client just automatically included the period in the link. I usually start a new line after the link because I have found that even space may get included, which throws it off….

            JohnW

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 12, 2012
              On 3/12/2012 17:23, John L Waller wrote:
              > One tip here, the link did not work. The reason is that the period is included in the link “BCD396XT.” does not exist, although “BCD396XT” does exist. Your email client just automatically included the period in the link. I usually start a new line after the link because I have found that even space may get included, which throws it off….

              Actually it was not Paul's E-Mail client - it was Yahoo on the web
              interface and / or your E-Mail client. The original message from Paul
              had the link correct on my E-Mail client (Thunderbird), as did your
              reply message. However the web interface to the group has it wrong on
              both the original and your reply. Thank you Yahoo...

              However your point should be well taken. I normally put links on a line
              all by themselves for that very reason.

              --
              73
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 13, 2012
                It will also help putting carrots around the link which should be
                understood by all email clients. For example, <<LINK-ADDRRESS>>.

                Note, the above is not sent as an actual link - replace
                LINK-ADDRESS with the actual URL you are sending.

                Joe M.