Re: [BCD396XT] Re: help

  • Yuni T. Runker
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
      I think David is trying to say:

      You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.

      Either way, you need one of the Uniden made cables.

      On Mar 8, 2012, at 1:48 PM, "david40_33711" <david40@...> wrote:

      > First you need to understand there is a difference between a Serial to USB Adapter and a Serial to USB Converter. The adapter is useless. If you have the Uniden USB-1 cable all you need to do is download the Serial to USB driver from the support site.

    • David
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
        Yes. The original request for help was regarding a laptop that has no serial port, so we are talking about using the USB port as an alternate connection to the computer's Com Ports.

      • Bill Lauchlan
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
          Thanks Paul for you correction. I think my brains went out for lunch today !

          Rgds Bill L

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
            Not to put too fine a point on the matter, but the USB-1
            has the converter/adapter built in. It's not just a cable.

            You still need drivers the same as if you had the adapter/converter.

            Joe M.

            Yuni T. Runker wrote:
            > I think David is trying to say:
            >
            > You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.
          • David Johnson
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
              Not all USB to serial adaptors are the same. I have an HL-340 cable I
              bought off eBay a few years ago for win XP. It doesn't work on win 7,
              so I just bought a new HL-340 cable off eBay and it does work on win
              7.

              Sent from my iPhone

              On 10/03/2012, at 5:36, "Yuni T. Runker" <unitrunker@...> wrote:

              > I think David is trying to say:
              >
              > You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.
              >
              > Either way, you need one of the Uniden made cables.
              >
              > On Mar 8, 2012, at 1:48 PM, "david40_33711" <david40@...> wrote:
              >
              >> First you need to understand there is a difference between a Serial to USB Adapter and a Serial to USB Converter. The adapter is useless. If you have the Uniden USB-1 cable all you need to do is download the Serial to USB driver from the support site.

            • Scannerman
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                Just wanted to reply. I have a BCD396XT and my computer laptop & desktop
                does not have a serial port on it. The programming cable for my radio uses
                a 9 pin serial end that would connect to the computers serial port. If you
                don't have this serial port you can purchase a usb to serial adapter. The
                one I use is the SW-1301. You can find it at www.sewell.com and type the
                model into the search box and you should see it. It works great for me and
                will work with Windows 7. If you need more information let us know so we
                can help you.

                Good luck,
                Joey

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                  Are you saying it is the same thing? If so,
                  is it possible only the drivers are different?

                  If it's not the same, don't you love when they change things and
                  market it as the same product? Couldn't that have made it HL-341?

                  Joe M.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                    You guys should watch some old reruns of Sex in the City,
                    and take your minds off these complexities of converter/adapter cables...

                    :)