Re: [BCD396XT] Re: help

    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
      Threaded...

      Bill Lauchlan wrote:
      > The use of "adapter" and "converter" really doesn't make it clear what's going on here.

      Like others, I'm still trying to determine the difference between an
      'adapter' and a 'converter'.

      > For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
      > That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want.

      If there is no electronics involved, it's called a cable. They are
      neither adapters nor converters.

      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
        Actually, there is an IC (chip) inside the Prolific adapter to convert RS-232 to USB...

        So this makes it an:

        A: Adapter
        B: Converter
        C: Cable
        D: Something the Cat can rip up

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012

          http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files//IO Cable/PL-2303HX/Documents/Schematics/SCH_PL2303HXD_v1.2.pdf

          > So this makes it an:
          >
          > A: Adapter
          > B: Converter
          > C: Cable
          > D: Something the Cat can rip up
          >

          > On Mar 9, 2012, at 9:28 AM, MCH wrote:
          >
          >> Threaded...
          >>
          >> Bill Lauchlan wrote:
          >>> The use of "adapter" and "converter" really doesn't make it clear what's going on here.
          >>
          >> Like others, I'm still trying to determine the difference between an
          >> 'adapter' and a 'converter'.
          >>
          >>> For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
          >>> That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want.
          >>
          >> If there is no electronics involved, it's called a cable. They are
          >> neither adapters nor converters.
          >>
          >> Joe M.
          >>

          >> TODAY(Beta)  Powered by Yahoo!
          >> Big bank adds more $7 checking accounts
          >> Wells Fargo continues to move away from offering free accounts to existing customers.
          >> Privacy Policy

        • Yuni T. Runker
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
            I think David is trying to say:

            You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.

            Either way, you need one of the Uniden made cables.

            On Mar 8, 2012, at 1:48 PM, "david40_33711" <david40@...> wrote:

            > First you need to understand there is a difference between a Serial to USB Adapter and a Serial to USB Converter. The adapter is useless. If you have the Uniden USB-1 cable all you need to do is download the Serial to USB driver from the support site.

          • David
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
              Yes. The original request for help was regarding a laptop that has no serial port, so we are talking about using the USB port as an alternate connection to the computer's Com Ports.

            • Bill Lauchlan
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                Thanks Paul for you correction. I think my brains went out for lunch today !

                Rgds Bill L

                "For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
                That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want."

                Actually the included cable has a 9-pin RS232 connector on one end and a mini 4-conductor (not USB standard) connector on the other end.

                UpMan

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                  Not to put too fine a point on the matter, but the USB-1
                  has the converter/adapter built in. It's not just a cable.

                  You still need drivers the same as if you had the adapter/converter.

                  Joe M.

                  Yuni T. Runker wrote:
                  > I think David is trying to say:
                  >
                  > You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.
                • David Johnson
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                    Not all USB to serial adaptors are the same. I have an HL-340 cable I
                    bought off eBay a few years ago for win XP. It doesn't work on win 7,
                    so I just bought a new HL-340 cable off eBay and it does work on win
                    7.

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On 10/03/2012, at 5:36, "Yuni T. Runker" <unitrunker@...> wrote:

                    > I think David is trying to say:
                    >
                    > You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.
                    >
                    > Either way, you need one of the Uniden made cables.
                    >
                    > On Mar 8, 2012, at 1:48 PM, "david40_33711" <david40@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> First you need to understand there is a difference between a Serial to USB Adapter and a Serial to USB Converter. The adapter is useless. If you have the Uniden USB-1 cable all you need to do is download the Serial to USB driver from the support site.

                  • Scannerman
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                      Just wanted to reply. I have a BCD396XT and my computer laptop & desktop
                      does not have a serial port on it. The programming cable for my radio uses
                      a 9 pin serial end that would connect to the computers serial port. If you
                      don't have this serial port you can purchase a usb to serial adapter. The
                      one I use is the SW-1301. You can find it at www.sewell.com and type the
                      model into the search box and you should see it. It works great for me and
                      will work with Windows 7. If you need more information let us know so we
                      can help you.

                      Good luck,
                      Joey

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                        Are you saying it is the same thing? If so,
                        is it possible only the drivers are different?

                        If it's not the same, don't you love when they change things and
                        market it as the same product? Couldn't that have made it HL-341?

                        Joe M.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                          You guys should watch some old reruns of Sex in the City,
                          and take your minds off these complexities of converter/adapter cables...

                          :)