Re: [BCD396XT] Re: help

  • Bill Lauchlan
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
      The use of "adapter" and "converter" really doesn't make it clear what's going on here.

      The Key point to understand is that devices exist which are nothing more than a piece of cable (wires) with a connector on each end.

      For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
      That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want.

      What's required for connecting Scanner to the USB port on a Computer is an ACTIVE device which makes protocol changes and Voltage Level/Impedance and whatever
      else is required to match RS232C to USB. That is what the Uniden USB-1 is. It consists of a "regular" USB connector , a MINI-USB type connector, some cable and the ACTIVE device to do the
      Protocol translation.

      Regards Bill L

      From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
        "For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
        That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want."

        Actually the included cable has a 9-pin RS232 connector on one end and a mini 4-conductor (not USB standard) connector on the other end.

        UpMan

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
          Threaded...

          Bill Lauchlan wrote:
          > The use of "adapter" and "converter" really doesn't make it clear what's going on here.

          Like others, I'm still trying to determine the difference between an
          'adapter' and a 'converter'.

          > For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
          > That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want.

          If there is no electronics involved, it's called a cable. They are
          neither adapters nor converters.

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
            Actually, there is an IC (chip) inside the Prolific adapter to convert RS-232 to USB...

            So this makes it an:

            A: Adapter
            B: Converter
            C: Cable
            D: Something the Cat can rip up

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012

              http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files//IO Cable/PL-2303HX/Documents/Schematics/SCH_PL2303HXD_v1.2.pdf

              > So this makes it an:
              >
              > A: Adapter
              > B: Converter
              > C: Cable
              > D: Something the Cat can rip up
              >

              > On Mar 9, 2012, at 9:28 AM, MCH wrote:
              >
              >> Threaded...
              >>
              >> Bill Lauchlan wrote:
              >>> The use of "adapter" and "converter" really doesn't make it clear what's going on here.
              >>
              >> Like others, I'm still trying to determine the difference between an
              >> 'adapter' and a 'converter'.
              >>
              >>> For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
              >>> That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want.
              >>
              >> If there is no electronics involved, it's called a cable. They are
              >> neither adapters nor converters.
              >>
              >> Joe M.
              >>

              >> TODAY(Beta)  Powered by Yahoo!
              >> Big bank adds more $7 checking accounts
              >> Wells Fargo continues to move away from offering free accounts to existing customers.
              >> Privacy Policy

            • Yuni T. Runker
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                I think David is trying to say:

                You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.

                Either way, you need one of the Uniden made cables.

                On Mar 8, 2012, at 1:48 PM, "david40_33711" <david40@...> wrote:

                > First you need to understand there is a difference between a Serial to USB Adapter and a Serial to USB Converter. The adapter is useless. If you have the Uniden USB-1 cable all you need to do is download the Serial to USB driver from the support site.

              • David
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                  Yes. The original request for help was regarding a laptop that has no serial port, so we are talking about using the USB port as an alternate connection to the computer's Com Ports.

                • Bill Lauchlan
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                    Thanks Paul for you correction. I think my brains went out for lunch today !

                    Rgds Bill L

                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                      Not to put too fine a point on the matter, but the USB-1
                      has the converter/adapter built in. It's not just a cable.

                      You still need drivers the same as if you had the adapter/converter.

                      Joe M.

                      Yuni T. Runker wrote:
                      > I think David is trying to say:
                      >
                      > You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.
                    • David Johnson
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                        Not all USB to serial adaptors are the same. I have an HL-340 cable I
                        bought off eBay a few years ago for win XP. It doesn't work on win 7,
                        so I just bought a new HL-340 cable off eBay and it does work on win
                        7.

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On 10/03/2012, at 5:36, "Yuni T. Runker" <unitrunker@...> wrote:

                        > I think David is trying to say:
                        >
                        > You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.
                        >
                        > Either way, you need one of the Uniden made cables.
                        >
                        > On Mar 8, 2012, at 1:48 PM, "david40_33711" <david40@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> First you need to understand there is a difference between a Serial to USB Adapter and a Serial to USB Converter. The adapter is useless. If you have the Uniden USB-1 cable all you need to do is download the Serial to USB driver from the support site.

                      • Scannerman
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                          Just wanted to reply. I have a BCD396XT and my computer laptop & desktop
                          does not have a serial port on it. The programming cable for my radio uses
                          a 9 pin serial end that would connect to the computers serial port. If you
                          don't have this serial port you can purchase a usb to serial adapter. The
                          one I use is the SW-1301. You can find it at www.sewell.com and type the
                          model into the search box and you should see it. It works great for me and
                          will work with Windows 7. If you need more information let us know so we
                          can help you.

                          Good luck,
                          Joey

                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                            Are you saying it is the same thing? If so,
                            is it possible only the drivers are different?

                            If it's not the same, don't you love when they change things and
                            market it as the same product? Couldn't that have made it HL-341?

                            Joe M.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                              You guys should watch some old reruns of Sex in the City,
                              and take your minds off these complexities of converter/adapter cables...

                              :)