RE: [BCD396XT] Re: help

  • Jerry Mader
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
      yeah i don't understand that statement. Aren't they the same thing?
      Converter, adapter, same thing. um, that's what I was always told sorry.
      Maybe I'm wrong but, sorry for the miscommunication.
      lol
      Jerry mader

      _____

      From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
        The use of "adapter" and "converter" really doesn't make it clear what's going on here.

        The Key point to understand is that devices exist which are nothing more than a piece of cable (wires) with a connector on each end.

        For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
        That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want.

        What's required for connecting Scanner to the USB port on a Computer is an ACTIVE device which makes protocol changes and Voltage Level/Impedance and whatever
        else is required to match RS232C to USB. That is what the Uniden USB-1 is. It consists of a "regular" USB connector , a MINI-USB type connector, some cable and the ACTIVE device to do the
        Protocol translation.

        Regards Bill L

        Please explain the difference between a Serial to USB Adapter and a Serial
        to USB Converter, really? Two different things? Thanks.

        First you need to understand there is a difference between a Serial to USB
        Adapter and a Serial to USB Converter. The adapter is useless. If you have
        the Uniden USB-1 cable all you need to do is download the Serial to USB
        driver from the support site. Actually they have the driver for download at
        just about every place that sells the converter cable. You must install the
        driver BEFORE pluging in the cable. Also not all converters are equal I
        tried a couple before I broke down and bought the Uniden converter, it must
        use a specific chipset. I also ordered a converter from Monoprice for about
        8 bucks just to see if it will work. I'll let you know how that one works
        out.

        - 2276 USB to Serial Convert Cable(DB9M/USB B female converter and USB A/B
        cable) 1 $7.35 $7.35

        Then you must discover what COM Port the driver has assigned to the
        converter. Go to the Device Manager in Windows and scroll down to Ports
        where you will see the USB Converter listed and it should show the Com Port
        it's using, if not look at the Properties and find it there. Once you know
        what Com Port is used you must select that in the scanner set up of whatever
        software you are using. The only thing left to do is match baud rates. Get
        to the menu in the scanner for setting the baud rate and select the 115,xxx
        baud rate and then select the same baud rate in the set up of the scanning
        software. Then they should be communicating.

        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> ,
        "sonman9954" <sonnyolson9954@...> wrote:

        > I have the cable, I have freescan, I plug in the usb and it tells me I
        need a usb controller, how do I get that

        > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> ,
        Jerry Mader <maderradionetwork@> wrote:

        > > You'll need a program like free scan.
        > > And you'll need a serial to USB adapter if you don't have a serial
        port on
        > > your laptop like most laptops don't.
        > > You also could buy the USB cable over on the uniden site too.
        > > Jerry Mader
        > >
        > > _____
        > >
        > > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
        Behalf
        > > Of sonman9954
        > > Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 12:39 PM
        > > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
        > > Subject: [BCD396XT] help
        > >

        > > how do I get my scanner to link up with my laptop

      • Uniden UPMan
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
          "For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
          That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want."

          Actually the included cable has a 9-pin RS232 connector on one end and a mini 4-conductor (not USB standard) connector on the other end.

          UpMan

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
            Threaded...

            Bill Lauchlan wrote:
            > The use of "adapter" and "converter" really doesn't make it clear what's going on here.

            Like others, I'm still trying to determine the difference between an
            'adapter' and a 'converter'.

            > For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
            > That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want.

            If there is no electronics involved, it's called a cable. They are
            neither adapters nor converters.

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
              Actually, there is an IC (chip) inside the Prolific adapter to convert RS-232 to USB...

              So this makes it an:

              A: Adapter
              B: Converter
              C: Cable
              D: Something the Cat can rip up

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012

                http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files//IO Cable/PL-2303HX/Documents/Schematics/SCH_PL2303HXD_v1.2.pdf

                > So this makes it an:
                >
                > A: Adapter
                > B: Converter
                > C: Cable
                > D: Something the Cat can rip up
                >

                > On Mar 9, 2012, at 9:28 AM, MCH wrote:
                >
                >> Threaded...
                >>
                >> Bill Lauchlan wrote:
                >>> The use of "adapter" and "converter" really doesn't make it clear what's going on here.
                >>
                >> Like others, I'm still trying to determine the difference between an
                >> 'adapter' and a 'converter'.
                >>
                >>> For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
                >>> That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want.
                >>
                >> If there is no electronics involved, it's called a cable. They are
                >> neither adapters nor converters.
                >>
                >> Joe M.
                >>

                >> TODAY(Beta)  Powered by Yahoo!
                >> Big bank adds more $7 checking accounts
                >> Wells Fargo continues to move away from offering free accounts to existing customers.
                >> Privacy Policy

              • Yuni T. Runker
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                  I think David is trying to say:

                  You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.

                  Either way, you need one of the Uniden made cables.

                  On Mar 8, 2012, at 1:48 PM, "david40_33711" <david40@...> wrote:

                  > First you need to understand there is a difference between a Serial to USB Adapter and a Serial to USB Converter. The adapter is useless. If you have the Uniden USB-1 cable all you need to do is download the Serial to USB driver from the support site.

                • David
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                    Yes. The original request for help was regarding a laptop that has no serial port, so we are talking about using the USB port as an alternate connection to the computer's Com Ports.

                  • Bill Lauchlan
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                      Thanks Paul for you correction. I think my brains went out for lunch today !

                      Rgds Bill L

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                        Not to put too fine a point on the matter, but the USB-1
                        has the converter/adapter built in. It's not just a cable.

                        You still need drivers the same as if you had the adapter/converter.

                        Joe M.

                        Yuni T. Runker wrote:
                        > I think David is trying to say:
                        >
                        > You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.
                      • David Johnson
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                          Not all USB to serial adaptors are the same. I have an HL-340 cable I
                          bought off eBay a few years ago for win XP. It doesn't work on win 7,
                          so I just bought a new HL-340 cable off eBay and it does work on win
                          7.

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On 10/03/2012, at 5:36, "Yuni T. Runker" <unitrunker@...> wrote:

                          > I think David is trying to say:
                          >
                          > You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.
                          >
                          > Either way, you need one of the Uniden made cables.
                          >
                          > On Mar 8, 2012, at 1:48 PM, "david40_33711" <david40@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> First you need to understand there is a difference between a Serial to USB Adapter and a Serial to USB Converter. The adapter is useless. If you have the Uniden USB-1 cable all you need to do is download the Serial to USB driver from the support site.

                        • Scannerman
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                            Just wanted to reply. I have a BCD396XT and my computer laptop & desktop
                            does not have a serial port on it. The programming cable for my radio uses
                            a 9 pin serial end that would connect to the computers serial port. If you
                            don't have this serial port you can purchase a usb to serial adapter. The
                            one I use is the SW-1301. You can find it at www.sewell.com and type the
                            model into the search box and you should see it. It works great for me and
                            will work with Windows 7. If you need more information let us know so we
                            can help you.

                            Good luck,
                            Joey

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                              Are you saying it is the same thing? If so,
                              is it possible only the drivers are different?

                              If it's not the same, don't you love when they change things and
                              market it as the same product? Couldn't that have made it HL-341?

                              Joe M.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                                You guys should watch some old reruns of Sex in the City,
                                and take your minds off these complexities of converter/adapter cables...

                                :)