Re: help

  • David
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 8, 2012
      That is the beauty of these scanners with the software is you can do whatever you can imagine. I would recommend you subscribe to Radioreference.com which will give you access to their direct download databases. In your software read the radio's current data, and save that to a profile or however your software saves a configuration so you can reload that if you ever want to. Then download the data you desire from radio reference into a new profile in the software and then upload it to the radio. It should ask if you want to delete the existing data in the radio, which is OK because you can always reload anything anytime. The great thing is you can create an endless number of different profiles, save them, and load them into the radio at will. I'm using ARC-XT which I am very happy with, but Freescan does most of the same things and it's free, just a steeper learning curve.

      For the latest uncensored news subscribe to:
      www.FreedomsPhoenix.com and http://www.realityzone.com/currentperiod.html
      It's Free!

    • Tim Woodward
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
        Please explain the difference between a Serial to USB Adapter and a Serial
        to USB Converter, really? Two different things? Thanks.

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
          yeah i don't understand that statement. Aren't they the same thing?
          Converter, adapter, same thing. um, that's what I was always told sorry.
          Maybe I'm wrong but, sorry for the miscommunication.
          lol
          Jerry mader

          _____

          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          "sonman9954" <sonnyolson9954@...> wrote:

          > I have the cable, I have freescan, I plug in the usb and it tells me I
          need a usb controller, how do I get that

          > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          Jerry Mader <maderradionetwork@> wrote:

          > > You'll need a program like free scan.
          > > And you'll need a serial to USB adapter if you don't have a serial
          port on
          > > your laptop like most laptops don't.
          > > You also could buy the USB cable over on the uniden site too.
          > > Jerry Mader
          > >
          > > _____
          > >
          > > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
          Behalf
          > > Of sonman9954
          > > Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 12:39 PM
          > > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > Subject: [BCD396XT] help
          > >

          > > how do I get my scanner to link up with my laptop

        • Bill Lauchlan
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
            The use of "adapter" and "converter" really doesn't make it clear what's going on here.

            The Key point to understand is that devices exist which are nothing more than a piece of cable (wires) with a connector on each end.

            For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
            That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want.

            What's required for connecting Scanner to the USB port on a Computer is an ACTIVE device which makes protocol changes and Voltage Level/Impedance and whatever
            else is required to match RS232C to USB. That is what the Uniden USB-1 is. It consists of a "regular" USB connector , a MINI-USB type connector, some cable and the ACTIVE device to do the
            Protocol translation.

            Regards Bill L

            Please explain the difference between a Serial to USB Adapter and a Serial
            to USB Converter, really? Two different things? Thanks.

            First you need to understand there is a difference between a Serial to USB
            Adapter and a Serial to USB Converter. The adapter is useless. If you have
            the Uniden USB-1 cable all you need to do is download the Serial to USB
            driver from the support site. Actually they have the driver for download at
            just about every place that sells the converter cable. You must install the
            driver BEFORE pluging in the cable. Also not all converters are equal I
            tried a couple before I broke down and bought the Uniden converter, it must
            use a specific chipset. I also ordered a converter from Monoprice for about
            8 bucks just to see if it will work. I'll let you know how that one works
            out.

            - 2276 USB to Serial Convert Cable(DB9M/USB B female converter and USB A/B
            cable) 1 $7.35 $7.35

            Then you must discover what COM Port the driver has assigned to the
            converter. Go to the Device Manager in Windows and scroll down to Ports
            where you will see the USB Converter listed and it should show the Com Port
            it's using, if not look at the Properties and find it there. Once you know
            what Com Port is used you must select that in the scanner set up of whatever
            software you are using. The only thing left to do is match baud rates. Get
            to the menu in the scanner for setting the baud rate and select the 115,xxx
            baud rate and then select the same baud rate in the set up of the scanning
            software. Then they should be communicating.

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            "sonman9954" <sonnyolson9954@...> wrote:

            > I have the cable, I have freescan, I plug in the usb and it tells me I
            need a usb controller, how do I get that

            > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            Jerry Mader <maderradionetwork@> wrote:

            > > You'll need a program like free scan.
            > > And you'll need a serial to USB adapter if you don't have a serial
            port on
            > > your laptop like most laptops don't.
            > > You also could buy the USB cable over on the uniden site too.
            > > Jerry Mader
            > >
            > > _____
            > >
            > > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
            Behalf
            > > Of sonman9954
            > > Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 12:39 PM
            > > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
            > > Subject: [BCD396XT] help
            > >

            > > how do I get my scanner to link up with my laptop

          • Uniden UPMan
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
              "For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
              That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want."

              Actually the included cable has a 9-pin RS232 connector on one end and a mini 4-conductor (not USB standard) connector on the other end.

              UpMan

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                Threaded...

                Bill Lauchlan wrote:
                > The use of "adapter" and "converter" really doesn't make it clear what's going on here.

                Like others, I'm still trying to determine the difference between an
                'adapter' and a 'converter'.

                > For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
                > That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want.

                If there is no electronics involved, it's called a cable. They are
                neither adapters nor converters.

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                  Actually, there is an IC (chip) inside the Prolific adapter to convert RS-232 to USB...

                  So this makes it an:

                  A: Adapter
                  B: Converter
                  C: Cable
                  D: Something the Cat can rip up

                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012

                    http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files//IO Cable/PL-2303HX/Documents/Schematics/SCH_PL2303HXD_v1.2.pdf

                    > So this makes it an:
                    >
                    > A: Adapter
                    > B: Converter
                    > C: Cable
                    > D: Something the Cat can rip up
                    >

                    > On Mar 9, 2012, at 9:28 AM, MCH wrote:
                    >
                    >> Threaded...
                    >>
                    >> Bill Lauchlan wrote:
                    >>> The use of "adapter" and "converter" really doesn't make it clear what's going on here.
                    >>
                    >> Like others, I'm still trying to determine the difference between an
                    >> 'adapter' and a 'converter'.
                    >>
                    >>> For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
                    >>> That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want.
                    >>
                    >> If there is no electronics involved, it's called a cable. They are
                    >> neither adapters nor converters.
                    >>
                    >> Joe M.
                    >>

                    >> TODAY(Beta)  Powered by Yahoo!
                    >> Big bank adds more $7 checking accounts
                    >> Wells Fargo continues to move away from offering free accounts to existing customers.
                    >> Privacy Policy

                  • Yuni T. Runker
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                      I think David is trying to say:

                      You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.

                      Either way, you need one of the Uniden made cables.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                        Yes. The original request for help was regarding a laptop that has no serial port, so we are talking about using the USB port as an alternate connection to the computer's Com Ports.

                      • Bill Lauchlan
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                          Thanks Paul for you correction. I think my brains went out for lunch today !

                          Rgds Bill L

                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                            Not to put too fine a point on the matter, but the USB-1
                            has the converter/adapter built in. It's not just a cable.

                            You still need drivers the same as if you had the adapter/converter.

                            Joe M.

                            Yuni T. Runker wrote:
                            > I think David is trying to say:
                            >
                            > You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.
                          • David Johnson
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                              Not all USB to serial adaptors are the same. I have an HL-340 cable I
                              bought off eBay a few years ago for win XP. It doesn't work on win 7,
                              so I just bought a new HL-340 cable off eBay and it does work on win
                              7.

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              On 10/03/2012, at 5:36, "Yuni T. Runker" <unitrunker@...> wrote:

                              > I think David is trying to say:
                              >
                              > You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.
                              >
                              > Either way, you need one of the Uniden made cables.
                              >
                              > On Mar 8, 2012, at 1:48 PM, "david40_33711" <david40@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >> First you need to understand there is a difference between a Serial to USB Adapter and a Serial to USB Converter. The adapter is useless. If you have the Uniden USB-1 cable all you need to do is download the Serial to USB driver from the support site.

                            • Scannerman
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                                Just wanted to reply. I have a BCD396XT and my computer laptop & desktop
                                does not have a serial port on it. The programming cable for my radio uses
                                a 9 pin serial end that would connect to the computers serial port. If you
                                don't have this serial port you can purchase a usb to serial adapter. The
                                one I use is the SW-1301. You can find it at www.sewell.com and type the
                                model into the search box and you should see it. It works great for me and
                                will work with Windows 7. If you need more information let us know so we
                                can help you.

                                Good luck,
                                Joey

                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                                  Are you saying it is the same thing? If so,
                                  is it possible only the drivers are different?

                                  If it's not the same, don't you love when they change things and
                                  market it as the same product? Couldn't that have made it HL-341?

                                  Joe M.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                                    You guys should watch some old reruns of Sex in the City,
                                    and take your minds off these complexities of converter/adapter cables...

                                    :)