Re: [BCD396XT] help

  • AARON SILLER
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 8, 2012
      Next question is what scanner do you have ? Does the laptop have a serial
      port of just usb ports? And what software are you using for your scanner?
      On Mar 8, 2012 11:56 AM, "sonman9954" <sonnyolson9954@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > how do I get my scanner to link up with my laptop

    • sonman9954
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 8, 2012
        I have the BCD396xt, and a usb, and I have no software

        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, AARON SILLER <asiller@...> wrote:

        > Next question is what scanner do you have ? Does the laptop have a serial
        > port of just usb ports? And what software are you using for your scanner?
        > On Mar 8, 2012 11:56 AM, "sonman9954" <sonnyolson9954@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > how do I get my scanner to link up with my laptop

      • Jerry Mader
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 8, 2012
          You'll need a program like free scan.
          And you'll need a serial to USB adapter if you don't have a serial port on
          your laptop like most laptops don't.
          You also could buy the USB cable over on the uniden site too.
          Jerry Mader

          _____

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 8, 2012
            I have the cable, I have freescan, I plug in the usb and it tells me I need a usb controller, how do I get that

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 8, 2012
              You will need to load the drivers for the serial cable to USB adapter in Windows...

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 8, 2012
                You will next need to set the baud rate (115k) in the 396XT to match that of your software app to program the radio.

                Also a com port must be selected.

                Freescan works well as an app to program your radio. Others will chime in with suggestions of what they like...

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 8, 2012
                  The cable should have a CD included that has your drivers for Windows operating system.

                  You will need to install the drivers first. So, unplug the cable and pop the CD in. Do you have a CD that came
                  with the cable?

                  On Mar 8, 2012, at 12:14 PM, sonman9954 wrote:

                  > I have the cable, I have freescan, I plug in the usb and it tells me I need a usb controller, how do I get that
                  >
                  > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Mader <maderradionetwork@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > You'll need a program like free scan.
                  > > And you'll need a serial to USB adapter if you don't have a serial port on
                  > > your laptop like most laptops don't.
                  > > You also could buy the USB cable over on the uniden site too.
                  > > Jerry Mader
                  > >
                  > > _____

                • david40_33711
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 8, 2012
                    First you need to understand there is a difference between a Serial to USB Adapter and a Serial to USB Converter. The adapter is useless. If you have the Uniden USB-1 cable all you need to do is download the Serial to USB driver from the support site. Actually they have the driver for download at just about every place that sells the converter cable. You must install the driver BEFORE pluging in the cable. Also not all converters are equal I tried a couple before I broke down and bought the Uniden converter, it must use a specific chipset. I also ordered a converter from Monoprice for about 8 bucks just to see if it will work. I'll let you know how that one works out.

                    - 2276 USB to Serial Convert Cable(DB9M/USB B female converter and USB A/B cable) 1 $7.35 $7.35

                    Then you must discover what COM Port the driver has assigned to the converter. Go to the Device Manager in Windows and scroll down to Ports where you will see the USB Converter listed and it should show the Com Port it's using, if not look at the Properties and find it there. Once you know what Com Port is used you must select that in the scanner set up of whatever software you are using. The only thing left to do is match baud rates. Get to the menu in the scanner for setting the baud rate and select the 115,xxx baud rate and then select the same baud rate in the set up of the scanning software. Then they should be communicating.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 8, 2012
                      thank you for your help I finally got it, but there another ? if you don't mind. my scanner has pre-programs of different states, none of them do me any good, is there away to delete them and put in tn. where I live

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 8, 2012
                        It's a simply matter with software and a programming cable.

                        Joe M.

                        sonman9954 wrote:
                        > thank you for your help I finally got it, but there another ? if you don't mind. my scanner has pre-programs of different states, none of them do me any good, is there away to delete them and put in tn. where I live
                        >
                        > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Mader <maderradionetwork@...> wrote:
                        >> You'll need a program like free scan.
                        >> And you'll need a serial to USB adapter if you don't have a serial port on
                        >> your laptop like most laptops don't.
                        >> You also could buy the USB cable over on the uniden site too.
                        >> Jerry Mader
                        >>
                        >> _____

                      • David
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 8, 2012
                          That is the beauty of these scanners with the software is you can do whatever you can imagine. I would recommend you subscribe to Radioreference.com which will give you access to their direct download databases. In your software read the radio's current data, and save that to a profile or however your software saves a configuration so you can reload that if you ever want to. Then download the data you desire from radio reference into a new profile in the software and then upload it to the radio. It should ask if you want to delete the existing data in the radio, which is OK because you can always reload anything anytime. The great thing is you can create an endless number of different profiles, save them, and load them into the radio at will. I'm using ARC-XT which I am very happy with, but Freescan does most of the same things and it's free, just a steeper learning curve.

                          For the latest uncensored news subscribe to:
                          www.FreedomsPhoenix.com and http://www.realityzone.com/currentperiod.html
                          It's Free!

                        • Tim Woodward
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                            Please explain the difference between a Serial to USB Adapter and a Serial
                            to USB Converter, really? Two different things? Thanks.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                              yeah i don't understand that statement. Aren't they the same thing?
                              Converter, adapter, same thing. um, that's what I was always told sorry.
                              Maybe I'm wrong but, sorry for the miscommunication.
                              lol
                              Jerry mader

                              _____

                              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                              "sonman9954" <sonnyolson9954@...> wrote:

                              > I have the cable, I have freescan, I plug in the usb and it tells me I
                              need a usb controller, how do I get that

                              > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                              Jerry Mader <maderradionetwork@> wrote:

                              > > You'll need a program like free scan.
                              > > And you'll need a serial to USB adapter if you don't have a serial
                              port on
                              > > your laptop like most laptops don't.
                              > > You also could buy the USB cable over on the uniden site too.
                              > > Jerry Mader
                              > >
                              > > _____
                              > >
                              > > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                              Behalf
                              > > Of sonman9954
                              > > Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 12:39 PM
                              > > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                              > > Subject: [BCD396XT] help
                              > >

                              > > how do I get my scanner to link up with my laptop

                            • Bill Lauchlan
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                                The use of "adapter" and "converter" really doesn't make it clear what's going on here.

                                The Key point to understand is that devices exist which are nothing more than a piece of cable (wires) with a connector on each end.

                                For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
                                That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want.

                                What's required for connecting Scanner to the USB port on a Computer is an ACTIVE device which makes protocol changes and Voltage Level/Impedance and whatever
                                else is required to match RS232C to USB. That is what the Uniden USB-1 is. It consists of a "regular" USB connector , a MINI-USB type connector, some cable and the ACTIVE device to do the
                                Protocol translation.

                                Regards Bill L

                                Please explain the difference between a Serial to USB Adapter and a Serial
                                to USB Converter, really? Two different things? Thanks.

                                First you need to understand there is a difference between a Serial to USB
                                Adapter and a Serial to USB Converter. The adapter is useless. If you have
                                the Uniden USB-1 cable all you need to do is download the Serial to USB
                                driver from the support site. Actually they have the driver for download at
                                just about every place that sells the converter cable. You must install the
                                driver BEFORE pluging in the cable. Also not all converters are equal I
                                tried a couple before I broke down and bought the Uniden converter, it must
                                use a specific chipset. I also ordered a converter from Monoprice for about
                                8 bucks just to see if it will work. I'll let you know how that one works
                                out.

                                - 2276 USB to Serial Convert Cable(DB9M/USB B female converter and USB A/B
                                cable) 1 $7.35 $7.35

                                Then you must discover what COM Port the driver has assigned to the
                                converter. Go to the Device Manager in Windows and scroll down to Ports
                                where you will see the USB Converter listed and it should show the Com Port
                                it's using, if not look at the Properties and find it there. Once you know
                                what Com Port is used you must select that in the scanner set up of whatever
                                software you are using. The only thing left to do is match baud rates. Get
                                to the menu in the scanner for setting the baud rate and select the 115,xxx
                                baud rate and then select the same baud rate in the set up of the scanning
                                software. Then they should be communicating.

                                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                "sonman9954" <sonnyolson9954@...> wrote:

                                > I have the cable, I have freescan, I plug in the usb and it tells me I
                                need a usb controller, how do I get that

                                > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                Jerry Mader <maderradionetwork@> wrote:

                                > > You'll need a program like free scan.
                                > > And you'll need a serial to USB adapter if you don't have a serial
                                port on
                                > > your laptop like most laptops don't.
                                > > You also could buy the USB cable over on the uniden site too.
                                > > Jerry Mader
                                > >
                                > > _____
                                > >
                                > > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                                Behalf
                                > > Of sonman9954
                                > > Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 12:39 PM
                                > > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                                > > Subject: [BCD396XT] help
                                > >

                                > > how do I get my scanner to link up with my laptop

                              • Uniden UPMan
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                                  "For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
                                  That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want."

                                  Actually the included cable has a 9-pin RS232 connector on one end and a mini 4-conductor (not USB standard) connector on the other end.

                                  UpMan

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                                    Threaded...

                                    Bill Lauchlan wrote:
                                    > The use of "adapter" and "converter" really doesn't make it clear what's going on here.

                                    Like others, I'm still trying to determine the difference between an
                                    'adapter' and a 'converter'.

                                    > For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
                                    > That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want.

                                    If there is no electronics involved, it's called a cable. They are
                                    neither adapters nor converters.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                                      Actually, there is an IC (chip) inside the Prolific adapter to convert RS-232 to USB...

                                      So this makes it an:

                                      A: Adapter
                                      B: Converter
                                      C: Cable
                                      D: Something the Cat can rip up

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012

                                        http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files//IO Cable/PL-2303HX/Documents/Schematics/SCH_PL2303HXD_v1.2.pdf

                                        > So this makes it an:
                                        >
                                        > A: Adapter
                                        > B: Converter
                                        > C: Cable
                                        > D: Something the Cat can rip up
                                        >

                                        > On Mar 9, 2012, at 9:28 AM, MCH wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> Threaded...
                                        >>
                                        >> Bill Lauchlan wrote:
                                        >>> The use of "adapter" and "converter" really doesn't make it clear what's going on here.
                                        >>
                                        >> Like others, I'm still trying to determine the difference between an
                                        >> 'adapter' and a 'converter'.
                                        >>
                                        >>> For example, Uniden provides a cable along with the BCD396XT which has a 15pin D-Type on one end and a Mini-USB type connector on the other end.
                                        >>> That is only wires and the two connectors. You can call them adapters, converters or any other name you want.
                                        >>
                                        >> If there is no electronics involved, it's called a cable. They are
                                        >> neither adapters nor converters.
                                        >>
                                        >> Joe M.
                                        >>

                                        >> TODAY(Beta)  Powered by Yahoo!
                                        >> Big bank adds more $7 checking accounts
                                        >> Wells Fargo continues to move away from offering free accounts to existing customers.
                                        >> Privacy Policy

                                      • Yuni T. Runker
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                                          I think David is trying to say:

                                          You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.

                                          Either way, you need one of the Uniden made cables.

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                                            Yes. The original request for help was regarding a laptop that has no serial port, so we are talking about using the USB port as an alternate connection to the computer's Com Ports.

                                          • Bill Lauchlan
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                                              Thanks Paul for you correction. I think my brains went out for lunch today !

                                              Rgds Bill L

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                                                Not to put too fine a point on the matter, but the USB-1
                                                has the converter/adapter built in. It's not just a cable.

                                                You still need drivers the same as if you had the adapter/converter.

                                                Joe M.

                                                Yuni T. Runker wrote:
                                                > I think David is trying to say:
                                                >
                                                > You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.
                                              • David Johnson
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                                                  Not all USB to serial adaptors are the same. I have an HL-340 cable I
                                                  bought off eBay a few years ago for win XP. It doesn't work on win 7,
                                                  so I just bought a new HL-340 cable off eBay and it does work on win
                                                  7.

                                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                                  On 10/03/2012, at 5:36, "Yuni T. Runker" <unitrunker@...> wrote:

                                                  > I think David is trying to say:
                                                  >
                                                  > You don't need a generic USB / serial adapter (or converter) if you have the Uniden USB-1 cable. If you have the Uniden RS232 9 pin to funky four pin cable *and* you computer has no serial ports - you also need a generic USB to serial adapter.
                                                  >
                                                  > Either way, you need one of the Uniden made cables.
                                                  >
                                                  > On Mar 8, 2012, at 1:48 PM, "david40_33711" <david40@...> wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  >> First you need to understand there is a difference between a Serial to USB Adapter and a Serial to USB Converter. The adapter is useless. If you have the Uniden USB-1 cable all you need to do is download the Serial to USB driver from the support site.

                                                • Scannerman
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                                                    Just wanted to reply. I have a BCD396XT and my computer laptop & desktop
                                                    does not have a serial port on it. The programming cable for my radio uses
                                                    a 9 pin serial end that would connect to the computers serial port. If you
                                                    don't have this serial port you can purchase a usb to serial adapter. The
                                                    one I use is the SW-1301. You can find it at www.sewell.com and type the
                                                    model into the search box and you should see it. It works great for me and
                                                    will work with Windows 7. If you need more information let us know so we
                                                    can help you.

                                                    Good luck,
                                                    Joey

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                                                      Are you saying it is the same thing? If so,
                                                      is it possible only the drivers are different?

                                                      If it's not the same, don't you love when they change things and
                                                      market it as the same product? Couldn't that have made it HL-341?

                                                      Joe M.

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                                                        You guys should watch some old reruns of Sex in the City,
                                                        and take your minds off these complexities of converter/adapter cables...

                                                        :)