USB port just broke!

  • Rob Jones
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2012
      I was just using Freescan to add a system to my 396XT, using the cable supplied with the scanner in the box, and when I was done the damn port came out of the scanner with the cable! Now what do I do? It looks like a simple drop of glue *might* fix it, but I'm loathe to try it. Has this happened to anyone else? How did you fix it? Did you send it back to Uniden to be repaired? How much did it cost?

      Rob
    • Michael Sigler
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2012
        Uniden usually charges $49 for out of warranty items. If its fairly new still, its probably under warranty and free to have fixed. I think you only pay shipping.

        Mike

        I was just using Freescan to add a system to my 396XT, using the cable supplied with the scanner in the box, and when I was done the damn port came out of the scanner with the cable! Now what do I do? It looks like a simple drop of glue *might* fix it, but I'm loathe to try it. Has this happened to anyone else? How did you fix it? Did you send it back to Uniden to be repaired? How much did it cost?

        Rob

      • Shawn Kurschner
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2012
          IF there is no damage to the wires or the connections, gluing it might
          work. I've had mine for 3 days, so....

          --

          *Shawn Kurschner*

          ***(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

          *Manitowoc, WI USA
          *

        • John
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 8, 2012
            Do NOT glue it! Using the wrong glue WILL destroy the case! And do not
            assume a glue for plastic will work on all plastics. Testing various glues
            on plastics I have found some make the plastic literally melt, others make
            the plastic brittle and break apart with very little pressure. Best bet it
            let Uniden fix it!

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 8, 2012
              Good advice, John. Something I didn't know.

              On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM, John <johnstark@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Do NOT glue it! Using the wrong glue WILL destroy the case! And do not
              > assume a glue for plastic will work on all plastics. Testing various glues
              > on plastics I have found some make the plastic literally melt, others make
              > the plastic brittle and break apart with very little pressure. Best bet it
              > let Uniden fix it!

              *Shawn Kurschner*

              ***(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

              *Manitowoc, WI USA
              *

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 8, 2012
                SEND IT BACK...DON'T MESS WITH IT...

                On Feb 8, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Rob Jones wrote:

                > I was just using Freescan to add a system to my 396XT, using the cable supplied with the scanner in the box, and when I was done the damn port came out of the scanner with the cable! Now what do I do? It looks like a simple drop of glue *might* fix it, but I'm loathe to try it. Has this happened to anyone else? How did you fix it? Did you send it back to Uniden to be repaired? How much did it cost?
                >
                > Rob
                >

                > TODAY(Beta) � Powered by Yahoo!
                > Amateur golfer stabbed while playing
                > A round in Texas takes a life-threatening turn when two groups of players start fighting.
                > Privacy Policy

              • Rob Jones
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 8, 2012
                  Thanks. Checked with the local vendor and they want $80/hr plus parts to fix it. Guess I'll be sending it to Texas and let Uniden have a go at it.

                  Rob

                  --
                  [ Sent from my iPhone ]

                  On 2012-02-08, at 2:11 PM, Shawn Kurschner <skurschner1672@...> wrote:

                  > Good advice, John. Something I didn't know.
                  >
                  > On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM, John <johnstark@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > Do NOT glue it! Using the wrong glue WILL destroy the case! And do not
                  > > assume a glue for plastic will work on all plastics. Testing various glues
                  > > on plastics I have found some make the plastic literally melt, others make
                  > > the plastic brittle and break apart with very little pressure. Best bet it
                  > > let Uniden fix it!

                • John
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 8, 2012
                    I learned the hard way with something else, and after investigating it a bit
                    found there are many things that go into plastics and that glues affect
                    those things differently.
                    The worst one I ever saw though was in 2007. A guy called saying he wanted
                    to sell his stamp collection he inherited. He went through it and re-glued
                    loose stamp holders in place. What he didn't realize was the stuff ate
                    through the plastic and he wound up with the stamps permanently affixed to
                    both the plastic and the pages. $1,000.00's in ruined stamps!

                    Good advice, John. Something I didn't know.

                    On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM, John <johnstark@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Do NOT glue it! Using the wrong glue WILL destroy the case! And do not
                    > assume a glue for plastic will work on all plastics. Testing various glues
                    > on plastics I have found some make the plastic literally melt, others make
                    > the plastic brittle and break apart with very little pressure. Best bet it
                    > let Uniden fix it!

                    *Shawn Kurschner*

                    ***(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

                    *Manitowoc, WI USA