Re: [BCD396XT] Battery Charge Time

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
      I used it to recharge my batteries for the first month or two. I never went over 12. What I did was plug it in when I went to bed and set it to charge for how ever many hours I would be sleeping. Seemed to always get through the next day like that.

      I use an external charger now, and same batteries still going strong 8 months so far..

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
        Threaded...

        Richard wrote:
        > On Average ...
        > How long do you notice it takes to charge the 2300mah batteries in the unit.

        About 14 hours.

        > Does anyone know what the charge rate is when the unit is turned off, and when the unit is turned on?

        Not offhand, but it is the same. The wall wart has enough power that
        using the scanner does not tax the charge current.

        > The default 14 hr charge time seems too long.

        Nope. It's dead on the standard charge rate. If you want a faster
        charge, you can do what I and many others do - buy a rapid charger that
        can charge the cells in as little as an hour or so. But, such units have
        circuits that are designed for rapid rate charging. The 396 does not.
        They will also do something else the 396 cannot - optimize each cell and
        fully charge the cells without overcharging them.

        Translation: It's really not a good idea to use your scanner to charge
        cells. Buy the dedicated NiMH charger that charges the cells
        individually. I like the Maha brand, but there are several good ones out
        there.

        Joe M.
      • Ronski45
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2012
          I have maha smart charger -
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817355012
          for AA's and normally it takes maybe an hour, a max of 2 hours to charge
          each cell, so accordingly I set the radio for 1 or 2 hours. Batteries -
          energizers, have been fine.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2012
            I have the Maha MH-C401FS.

            Charges 1 to 4 cells. So perfect for this radio (3 cells).

            Can fast charge or slow charge.

            This by far the best charger I have purchased...