Re: [BCD396XT] HAM Radio Repeater Reception

  • Joe Polcari
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2012
      The repeater may also be off frequency. ----- Original Message -----From: "Joe Polcari" >;joe@...

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2012
        The radio is either "Band passing" so change the RX mode from NFM to FM, or do you have priority set to "on" ? This would make the radio sound like it is muting for a moment...

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2012
          If you set the squelch to 0 and you did not hear squelch noise, you
          definitely have some form of coded reception active. When you are
          monitoring a frequency CSQ, you can hear the squelch noise when you drop
          to 1 or lower.

          I would agree with the other posts. Ham repeaters should be set to FM in
          99.9999% of the cases (there are only maybe a dozen SNFM ham repeaters
          nationwide). I think there are more P25 ham repeaters than SNFM.

          Also make sure Close Call, Channel Priority, and Weather Priority are
          disabled (or on DND mode in the case of Close Call).

          Joe M.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2012
            You could also have another carrier near the frequency that is causing
            the issue and blocking the squelch from opening fully.

            Joe M.

            Richard wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > I can't seem to figure out why this would happen.
            > But when I scan a Ham Radio Repeater frequency I can get almost the entire conversation, but then squelch kicks in and blocks a couple of seconds of it then opens up.
            >
            > I confirmed the frequency had no PL Code.
            >
            > Any ideas what is causing this?
            >
            > BTW I turned squelch all the way down to zero and still no luck.
            >
            > Second question, which may be the fix ... Is there a way to open up squelch on a channel? I mean, just open and listen static and all?
            >
            > Thanks in Advance.

          • Richard
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2012
              Wow, Thank you everyone for the fast response.
              It was the Close Call, WX and Channel priority causing the "pause" in rx.

              Just for good measure, I also changed the modulation to FM.

              Thanks Again.
              -Rich