Quick keys for system/groups

  • Jerry Mader
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 3, 2012
      Hey i had this question for you.
      I am having trouble with turning on and off system keys vs. group keys.
      How do i turn off and on system keys 10 through 99, and how do i turn on and
      off group keys in a system from 1 to nine?
      I don't understand how to do these.
      Could someone help me here?
      Do i have to hold on a system to turn on/off a group's quick key?
      And when is the function key used for these two scenarios?

    • Paul Opitz
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 3, 2012
        Check out:

        http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/QuickKeys#Programming_Quick_Keys

        and
        http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/UsingQuickKeysStartupKeysAndSearchKeys

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 3, 2012
          Now my question is, what if there's a group qk set to 3 and that's also a
          search, key? How should i activate that group if it's also a search key?
          I don't wanna keep on activating search functions when all i wanna do is
          scan group 3 on a system for example.
          How is this done? And how do i make a start up key work, like how do i store
          it as say start up key 1 for example?

          _____

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 3, 2012
            If you are HOLDING, then it will do the search key function. If you are SCANNING it will turn the channel group on/off.

            UpMan

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 3, 2012
              what happens if i have 3 digital systems all set to system quick key 0 will
              it kill all three systems or can you only have one system per sqk?
              Jerry Mader

              _____

              If you are HOLDING, then it will do the search key function. If you are
              SCANNING it will turn the channel group on/off.

              UpMan
              UpMan FAQ: http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/UpMan -- Please read before
              emailing me directly

              >________________________________

              Behalf

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 3, 2012
                If you have them all set to SQK 0, it will enable/disable all three at
                the same time. (you could say kill/revive, I guess) ;->

                Be careful using SQK 0, as it is 'reserved' for race car functions in
                some units.

                Joe M.

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 3, 2012
                  What do you mean by that?
                  I'm using the Bcd396xt.
                  But i don't understand what you mean by it's used for racecar functions.
                  sorry.
                  But anyway yeah that's what i did wanna know.
                  Also Joe if you or anyone else could tell me, if I uploaded say a file with
                  a bunch of systems and set that to start up key 1. and then loaded a
                  different configuration and set it to start up key 2. would this let me kill
                  one configuration which would have the channels in the default, of 1. And
                  load the new start up two config or is this totally something different
                  altogether.

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 3, 2012
                    Threaded...

                    Jerry Mader wrote:
                    > What do you mean by that?
                    > I'm using the Bcd396xt.
                    > But i don't understand what you mean by it's used for racecar functions.
                    > sorry.

                    No problem. SQK 0 is used in some models (such as the BR330t) for race
                    car functions. As such, it is not available and there could be some
                    compatibility issues if you or someone else tried to use your file in
                    such a scanner.

                    > But anyway yeah that's what i did wanna know.
                    > Also Joe if you or anyone else could tell me, if I uploaded say a file with
                    > a bunch of systems and set that to start up key 1. and then loaded a
                    > different configuration and set it to start up key 2. would this let me kill
                    > one configuration which would have the channels in the default, of 1. And
                    > load the new start up two config or is this totally something different
                    > altogether.

                    Well, you would need to load them both at the same time unless you are
                    not erasing the contents on the second write.

                    Using the different Start-Up keys allows you to duplicate the SQKs
                    without slaving them together. Without the Start-Up key difference,
                    enabling one would enable them all. With the Start-Up key, all the ones
                    assigned to a different Start-Up key would be locked out and not enabled
                    when you enable that SQK.

                    Clear as mud? It's not that easy to explain (especially at 1 AM).

                    Joe M.
                  • Jerry Mader
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 3, 2012
                      Sorry for not understanding this all the way, I can't comprehend too well.
                      I apologize, but what I'm trying to do and maybe you could tell me how I'd
                      do this for example is have 2 systems.
                      A winter start up configuration and a summer one.
                      With startup key 1, i would have all my winter systems that i listen too in
                      the winter on start up key one.
                      Then when i hit startup 2 all of those would be disabled and the summer
                      config with the summer oriented systems and talk groups would be enabled and
                      the winter one would disappear until winter again.
                      But for this I'd need to upload 2 sets of the same systems right, can I do
                      that or will it mess up the scanner?
                      Reason I'd need to do that is that set one would contain all of my winter
                      systems and some of them will be duplicates, such as police and fire and
                      such. But then it would also add in the school buses, and plow trucks and
                      stuff. With system two i wanted to be able to upload that one under start up
                      2 and that one would have still the groups for the state police things like
                      that as system one would have, but would turn on the parks, and recreations,
                      and sky warn repeaters and stuff like that.
                      How would i do this so it would work the way I'd want it to do so? Or can't
                      I do this at all?
                      Jerry Mader

                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 4, 2012
                        Threaded...

                        Jerry Mader wrote:
                        > Sorry for not understanding this all the way, I can't comprehend too well.

                        I could have explained it better, too.

                        > I apologize, but what I'm trying to do and maybe you could tell me how I'd
                        > do this for example is have 2 systems.
                        > A winter start up configuration and a summer one.
                        > With startup key 1, i would have all my winter systems that i listen too in
                        > the winter on start up key one.
                        > Then when i hit startup 2 all of those would be disabled and the summer
                        > config with the summer oriented systems and talk groups would be enabled and
                        > the winter one would disappear until winter again.

                        You have the concept down. That's exactly one way it could be used.

                        > But for this I'd need to upload 2 sets of the same systems right, can I do
                        > that or will it mess up the scanner?

                        You can do it with two uploads AS LONG AS you don't erase the scanner
                        contents when you upload the second set. You can also upload both at the
                        same time.

                        > Reason I'd need to do that is that set one would contain all of my winter
                        > systems and some of them will be duplicates, such as police and fire and
                        > such. But then it would also add in the school buses, and plow trucks and
                        > stuff. With system two i wanted to be able to upload that one under start up
                        > 2 and that one would have still the groups for the state police things like
                        > that as system one would have, but would turn on the parks, and recreations,
                        > and sky warn repeaters and stuff like that.
                        > How would i do this so it would work the way I'd want it to do so? Or can't
                        > I do this at all?
                        > Jerry Mader

                        What you want to do is possible and would work very well. Just make sure
                        your winter systems are assigned Start-Up Key 1 and your summer systems
                        are assigned Start-Up Key 2. You can upload them both at the same time.

                        Using them is simple. When you want to unlock your summer systems, hit 2
                        when the scanner is powering up. When you want to unlock your winter
                        systems, hit 1 when the scanner is powering up.

                        Any system not assigned a Start-Up Key will not be affected by the
                        reconfiguration, so you could have a THIRD system with your common
                        channels and assign that no Start-Up Key, and remove them from both of
                        the other systems.

                        Basically, the Start-Up keys are mass-lockout/unlock commands. Only the
                        systems assigned to the Start-Up key pressed will be unlocked, while ALL
                        OTHER systems assigned different Start-Up Keys will be locked out.

                        Funny how much easier it is to explain in the morning as opposed to 1 AM
                        at night. ;->

                        I'm assuming you have a large number of Systems that you want changed by
                        the Summer/Winter configuration. If not, it might be easier to use a
                        System Quick Key to enable or disable them. That way, you could easily
                        enable both of them if you like.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 4, 2012
                          I have SQK 0 set for "Close Call"

                          Once I have tagged a few transmissions, I hit that key and scan them.

                          Very useful...

                          -Lance

                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 4, 2012
                            That's fine, but the point is that some models reserve SQK 0 for special
                            functions, so in those models SQK 0 would not do the same thing it does
                            in yours.

                            Joe M.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 4, 2012
                              You mean like the BR-330T with the Nascar Logo. Cool radio with it's coverage, horrible display...

                              Off topic, but "That's Fine"

                              Cheers Joe,

                              -Lance

                            • Jerry Mader
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 4, 2012
                                Hey I have free scan and i kind of need help.
                                I have to go in and label the combo boxes as they don't speak well with my
                                screen reading device.
                                I need them to say what I'm changing in them like for example, when i go to
                                system quick key i need to know that that's the box I'm changing not the
                                dropdown for the delay.
                                Could someone help me off list with this?
                                MY email is Management@...
                                I'd greatly appreciate it.
                                I just need to verbally talk to someone on skype or on the phone while in
                                upload and download so i can understand what I'm looking at so to speak as a
                                quick fix.
                                The long way around it is, that, I'm trying to build some scripts for jaws
                                for windows a screen reading software for this software too.
                                A great friend of mine could do this but I don't know how to contact the
                                developer to have him help my buddy write the software to work with the
                                scripts for me to make this easier to use.
                                Yes blind friendly mode is nice, but the program has to be relabeled and
                                stuff for the combo boxes and check boxes, radio buttons, edit fields ETC.
                                which my friend could help with too at no charge. He's a great programmer
                                and does wonderfully on jaws for windows scripting for the blind.
                                Thanks
                                Jerry Mader

                                _____

                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 6, 2012
                                  I have a few questions.
                                  And i really need help here. I don't mean to go off topic and I'm sorry if I
                                  am.
                                  But I'm trying to work on this with absolutely no sighted help, so the more
                                  help I can get the better.

                                  IN the site dialog on free scan, when you're modifying a site, under the
                                  quick key tab is where i am.
                                  And well i have the quick key labeled right that's right after the place
                                  that you'd put the name of the site you're setting up. SO i have that box
                                  set to read "quick key" when i land on it.

                                  See, I'm using my tab key, i can't use a mouse at all because Jaws For
                                  Windows won't read mouse usage, it only uses the keyboard.
                                  Then there is the locked out box to check if you wanna kill the whole site.

                                  Then after that box, there's the Modulation box, that has like fm, auto and
                                  narrow fm things like that. Then, there's another box, labeled that box, and
                                  that's right after the modulation box.
                                  Then there's a 20 db attenuation check box, now I'm up to another control
                                  box i don't know what it does.
                                  It's right after the box which i labeled that is for the type of trunking
                                  system you want to set the site for. It's, a box that has the options, 0 to
                                  255 what am i setting in that control drop down?
                                  Now after that I've got a box, and in it it has a 0 to 9 dropdown and right
                                  now it's got a . in it. What is that box for?Then after that box, there's a
                                  few buttons that are unlabeled and then there's the find free button. Then
                                  right after that is the box that's for the site time hold time, and after
                                  that box i see the place to set the hold time if i were to set that
                                  pervious box to manual.
                                  Then i see the P25 digital wait time box. After that is the state box. and
                                  it's set to off. then i go back to the system's tree view.
                                  SO what are those controls that I don't have marked yet? Would someone
                                  kindly let me know? just press your tab key and move around the screen using
                                  the Tab key,, I'm using the tab and shift tab mainly to get around.
                                  So if you'd greatly thread this and tell me what I'm looking at I'd
                                  appreciate it so much, because then i could use this with out a problem and
                                  be able to do as you who are sighted can do.
                                  Thanks for all of your kind help it's very much appreciated.
                                  Jerry Mader

                                  Then after that i see this other box, and it goes from 0 to 9.
                                  Thanks

                                  _____

> [...]

                                  systems, hit 1 when the scanner is powering up.

                                  Any system not assigned a Start-Up Key will not be affected by the
                                  reconfiguration, so you could have a THIRD system with your common
                                  channels and assign that no Start-Up Key, and remove them from both of
                                  the other systems.

                                  Basically, the Start-Up keys are mass-lockout/unlock commands. Only the
                                  systems assigned to the Start-Up key pressed will be unlocked, while ALL
                                  OTHER systems assigned different Start-Up Keys will be locked out.

                                  Funny how much easier it is to explain in the morning as opposed to 1 AM
                                  at night. ;->

                                  I'm assuming you have a large number of Systems that you want changed by
                                  the Summer/Winter configuration. If not, it might be easier to use a
                                  System Quick Key to enable or disable them. That way, you could easily

                                • David Johnson
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 6, 2012
                                    On my Free Scan, under the P25 site, the tab order is:
                                    Site Name
                                    Quick Key
                                    Locked Out check box
                                    Modulation
                                    20dB Attenuation
                                    Site Type (P25 Standard is default for a digital system)
                                    The Next one is Hold Time 0-255
                                    Then, you have the Startup Key (with the . in it)
                                    The next three boxes are justification (Right, Centre, Left) for the site
                                    label.
                                    Then Find Free (which finds the next unused Quick key)
                                    Then APCO Mode
                                    Then Threshold
                                    Then P25 Wait Time
                                    Then State (USA)

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 6, 2012
                                      There is a Freescan Yahoo Group.

                                      You might have a wider audience of users their to help you...

                                    • Jerry Mader
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 8, 2012
                                        _____

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 8, 2012
                                          there was a bit of a mistake message just sent out by me sorry about that. I
                                          didn't realize it replied to the list lol.
                                          It didn't have anything in the body, sorry about that.

                                          _____

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 8, 2012
                                            Does anyone have the free scan subscribe address for yahoo groups?
                                            I wanna make sure I've subscribed properly.
                                            I'm not getting any response on the list when writing.
                                            Jerry Mader

                                            _____

                                            If you are HOLDING, then it will do the search key function. If you are
                                            SCANNING it will turn the channel group on/off.

                                            UpMan
                                            UpMan FAQ: http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/UpMan -- Please read before
                                            emailing me directly

                                            >________________________________

                                          • Shawn Kurschner
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 9, 2012
                                              I wasn't able to find one, just the ARC group, found here
                                              http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/arc396/

                                              *Shawn Kurschner*

                                              ***(MCP, CSS, HDA, MCDST, MCTS)*

                                              *Manitowoc, WI USA
                                              *

                                            • Mel
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 9, 2012
                                                Go here http://scannow.org/forum/ it is not a Yahoo group he has his
                                                own web site

                                                Mel

                                                --
                                                http://shiptraffic.ca/
                                              • Rob Jones
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 9, 2012
                                                  Try the developer's user forum at http://scannow.org/forum/ or email the developer directly at info@....

                                                  Rob

                                                  --
                                                  [ Sent from my iPhone ]

                                                  On 2012-02-09, at 8:59 AM, Shawn Kurschner <skurschner1672@...> wrote:

                                                  > I wasn't able to find one, just the ARC group, found here
                                                  > http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/arc396/
                                                  >
                                                  > On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 12:02 AM, Jerry Mader <maderradionetwork@...>wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > **
                                                  > >

                                                  > > Does anyone have the free scan subscribe address for yahoo groups?
                                                  > > I wanna make sure I've subscribed properly.
                                                  > > I'm not getting any response on the list when writing.
                                                  > > Jerry Mader
                                                  > >
                                                  > > _____

                                                • Jerry Mader
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 11, 2012
                                                    How does the bcd396xt handle status bits?
                                                    Also how can i get the ICall feature to work on my bcd396xt in an EDACS
                                                    system. Is there some kind of talk group ID i need to program into it?
                                                    And how do I do that?
                                                    Thank you.
                                                    Jerry Mader

                                                    _____

                                                    On 2012-02-09, at 8:59 AM, Shawn Kurschner <skurschner1672@...

                                                    <mailto:maderradionetwork%40gmail.com> >wrote:

                                                    > > **
                                                    > >

                                                    > > Does anyone have the free scan subscribe address for yahoo groups?
                                                    > > I wanna make sure I've subscribed properly.
                                                    > > I'm not getting any response on the list when writing.
                                                    > > Jerry Mader
                                                    > >
                                                    > > _____
                                                    > >
                                                    > > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                                                    Behalf
                                                    > > Of Uniden UPMan
                                                    > > Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 2:20 PM
                                                    > > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                                                    > > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Quick keys for system/groups
                                                    > >
                                                    > > If you are HOLDING, then it will do the search key function. If you are
                                                    > > SCANNING it will turn the channel group on/off.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > UpMan
                                                    > > UpMan FAQ: http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/UpMan -- Please read before
                                                    > > emailing me directly
                                                    > >
                                                    > > >________________________________
                                                    > > > From: Jerry Mader <maderradionetwork@...
                                                    <mailto:maderradionetwork%40gmail.com>

                                                  • Ronski45
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 11, 2012
                                                      I have already set all the ICALLS for your radio.

                                                      Personally Ive never heard any icalls on consumers energy, I'm sure some
                                                      have though.
                                                      Ive only heard them on Saginaw and some on the MPSCS. Be advised they
                                                      are a rare thing.
                                                      How do you set them ? Manually - make a new talkgroup, then hit the .
                                                      button twice and then the 0

                                                      In freescan add this is a talkgroup -> i0

                                                      Again I did that already for you.

                                                      Status bits - From my knowledge they are only for type II Motorola
                                                      systems. MPSCS / Saginaw is not

                                                      Either in a search here or at radioreference.com im sure many answers to
                                                      your questions already are available. You dont need to make an account
                                                      on radioreference unless you post.

                                                      Also more freescan support here -
                                                      http://forums.radioreference.com/scanner-programming-software/

                                                      Also more 396xt support here -