Re: Li-ion Batteries

  • Jamie Hanrahan
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 22, 2012
      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie Hanrahan" <jeh@...> wrote:
      > Lithium-ion cells are 3.6 volts, and are rechargeable. Last I
      > heard, they were not available in AA size.

      Ok, "last I heard" was not recent enough! batteryjunction.com does have Li-ions in AA size.

      BUT! They're still 3.6 volts.

      And unlike the lithium primary batteries, they're only 900 mAh per cell. At 3.6 volts (assuming constant V over the useful discharge interval) that's just 3.24 watt-hours. Compare to a good current NiMH, only 1.2 volts but 2500 mAh - that's 3 watt-hours. And with NiMH you get to use three of them, for 9 watt-hours total. Even if you used three of the Li-ion AAs and an efficient "bucking" voltage converter to take care of the excess voltage, you'd have less than a 10% improvement in watt-hours. I doubt it would be worth the trouble.