Re: [BCD396XT] Uniden 396XT and discone

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 27, 2011
      I'm confused. Your scanner works fine with the Nagoya, but not with the
      Discone, so it *must* be the scanner that is the problem?

      I've had the same experience with several Discone models on many
      receivers. I would say your issue is with the Discone, not the scanner.
      I've received stations on a rubber duck better than the Discones. I am
      not exaggerating - I mean that literally!

      I would recommend selling the Discone and putting up a Scantenna. They
      work about as well as anything, and excel on VHF. They are a little weak
      on 800, but still much better than a Discone.

      Joe M.

      enriqueeeeee2001 wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I write here because I am quite disappointed with my 396XT handheld.
      >
      > I use it with a Nagoya NA-771 antenna and the general perfomance it is quite good. Last week I set up a double discone antenna on the roof
      > together a top low loss Ecoflex cable, just to say that the perfomance
      > let much to be desired. I can hear much stuff with the Nagoya.
      >
      > Yes, the attenuator is off and I have checked all the connectors, wire, installation and everything is fine.
      >
      > Now I regret selling my beloved AOR AR5000 in order to buy this Uniden.
      >
      > Anybody has this problem? Would it be better to sell it and buying a Realistic pro 2006 ?
      >
      > Thank you and best wishes !

    • W4KRR
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 27, 2011
        Maybe the coax is shorted somewhere, or you have an improperly installed
        connector. How long of a coax run is it? In some cases the cable losses
        can exceed any benefit from an external antenna.

        Ken

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 27, 2011
          When you say double discone are you meaning one or two antenna's? You should
          use just ONE or they work against each other. It's deffinately NOT a scanner
          issue though. Discones are great antennas and I have one up that lets me
          hear Louisville Ky VHF high 110 miles away year round.

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 27, 2011
            Diversity reception usually works to benefit reception unless the
            signals are received 180 degrees out of phase (such as having two
            antennas half a wavelength apart for signals coming from either 'end').

            But, I'm pretty sure he is talking about the antennas that look like a
            discone mounted upside down on top of another discone. They sell them at
            some scanner outlets.

            Just wish I could find one that lets me hear the WX station about 40
            miles away as well as my rubber duck (or hear the other one about 40
            miles in the opposite direction).

            WX station reception:

            With the rubber duck (stock) = 3 stations. (25-40 miles away)

            With the Discone = 1 station readable (not strong). (25 miles away)

            With the Ringo Ranger (VHF) = 5 stations. (25-75 miles away)

            With the Scantenna II = 5 stations. (25-75 miles away)

            Joe M.

            John wrote:
            > When you say double discone are you meaning one or two antenna's? You should
            > use just ONE or they work against each other. It's deffinately NOT a scanner
            > issue though. Discones are great antennas and I have one up that lets me
            > hear Louisville Ky VHF high 110 miles away year round.

          • Doug Johnson
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 27, 2011
              Gidday Scanner Enthusiast,

              I run a single Diamond discone ant, fed with RG-214, and just run a small bit of RG58 on the end for flexability.
              I have run this for some years and even have changed houses, and still is running well.

              It is also fairly resonant on Amateur VHF and UHF bands and sometimes use it as a spare ant to TX on.

              When I first bought my Yaesu FT-817, I had no ant at that stage for 6m (50MHz), and so used the discone.
              I ended up working a station on SSB from Sydney to Adelaide which was 2000km.

              Never heard of a double discone before, and that is where your problem may lie, as someone previously
              said. Try just connecting one up in the conventional way and see how you go.

              Regards,

              Doug VK2XLJ

              To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 27, 2011
                I'd be happy to trade you my 2006/full 456 for the 396xt.

                Mark

                > I write here because I am quite disappointed with my 396XT handheld.
                >
                > I use it with a Nagoya NA-771 antenna and the general perfomance it is
                > quite good. Last week I set up a double discone antenna on the roof
                > together a top low loss Ecoflex cable, just to say that the perfomance
                > let much to be desired. I can hear much stuff with the Nagoya.
                >
                > Yes, the attenuator is off and I have checked all the connectors, wire,
                > installation and everything is fine.
                >
                > Now I regret selling my beloved AOR AR5000 in order to buy this Uniden.
                >
                > Anybody has this problem? Would it be better to sell it and buying a
                > Realistic pro 2006 ?
                >
                > Thank you and best wishes !

              • John
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 27, 2011
                  Usually but I found that some do just the opposite. As for discones I have
                  never had an issue with them. With the present one that is up at 65 to 70
                  feet it's picking up 4 weather stations, one of which is in Ohio 50+ miles
                  away. Unfortunately I do not remember where I got it or which model it is. I
                  remember it cost barely under $150 but that’s all. I have had it for 10
                  years and it's survived a tornado only loosing part of one radial, not bad
                  considering two of my towers came down along with 40 trees in my yard!

                  John wrote:
                  > When you say double discone are you meaning one or two antenna's? You
                  > should
                  > use just ONE or they work against each other. It's deffinately NOT a
                  > scanner
                  > issue though. Discones are great antennas and I have one up that lets me
                  > hear Louisville Ky VHF high 110 miles away year round.

                • John
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 27, 2011
                    ouch!

                    Hmmm, wish I had some cash, I'd buy that from you Mark, I'd like to add that
                    to the two 2035's one that has an opto board in it.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 27, 2011
                      If I put either the Scantenna or a VHF Ringo Ranger up 65 to 70 feet, I
                      almost guarantee I will have reception on all 7 weather channels. I've
                      got 5 of them just 5 feet above my roofline.

                      But, I understand you have had good luck with Discones. I have not.

                      Joe M.

                    • Brian
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 27, 2011
                        Ummm... You only need tall antennas if your area(Home) isn't very high!

                        If the home is on top of a mountain. You only need to put the antenna on 1 foot poll above the house or use something else. Plus using a short cable to the antenna. :-)

                        Talking about antenna heights doesn't really mean anything. You need to talk about the whole area with it.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 27, 2011
                          OK. The rest of my 'story' is that I am at an average elevation for my
                          area. I have valleys 400 feet lower and hills 400 feet higher. I have a
                          fair horizon in most directions except ENE.

                          But, putting my antennas up 65-70 feet means they will be above the
                          treeline that is currently shading my antennas (not so much this time of
                          year, but greatly in the summertime).

                          But, the same is true on top of those hills. In each case the relative
                          performance of the antennas I mentioned is the same. True, you do get
                          more range on the hills, but that just means the numbers go up.

                          Joe M.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 27, 2011
                            lol, you have short trees Joe :) Even at the height my antenna is I am no
                            where near the tree tops. It plays havoc with any signals, but then this is
                            flat Indiana farm land around here.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 27, 2011
                              Well, in some directions the trees are hundreds of feet below ground
                              level (which in WPA isn't all that level - especially compared with your
                              area). Of course, in other directions the roots are hundreds of feet higher.

                              Generally, I would say the trees in my area are about 50 feet tall -
                              maybe a little more. Typically they are Pine or Maple (long needle Pine
                              trees suck up 800 MHz signals like a steel wall, but I don't have any of
                              those close). I have some Dogwood trees that are less than 15 feet tall
                              despite being decades old. I do have a few Oak trees that are probably
                              around 75 feet tall. Still, an antenna at that height would have little
                              obstruction.

                              Joe M.

                            • enriqueeeeee2001
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 28, 2011
                                Hello and thanks everybody for your answers,

                                I have again checked the cable, is not shorted it works as it should.

                                The double discone it is only an antenna. I send you a link in order you can see it physically:

                                http://www.t2wholesale.co.uk/CB_and_Scanners_Scanning_Antennas/Double_Discone_Antenna/

                                From the roof to my shack there are 65 feet and I said before the cable is one of the best with very low loss. I have tested it with my
                                HF receiver and works quite good.

                                Maybe the solution it is to put a preamplifier in the base of the antenna.

                                Thank you very much for your valuable help !