Re: [BCD396XT] Fire Department Squeals

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 18, 2011
      Nope. Those are tone-outs or station alerts, most likely and unfortunately you're stuck with it.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2011
        The short answer is: No.

        The tones you hear are designed to open receivers that monitor the
        frequency, but do not pass the audio to the speaker until those tones
        are received. (what your scanner calls "Fire Tone-Out")

        The alerts you hear are designed to get the attention of those who are
        monitoring the frequency.

        You could try using the CTCSS/CDCSS feature (if the frequency in
        question uses it), but most dispatching centers transmit the CTCSS/CDCSS
        along with the tones even though they are not supposed to do that.

        You could also try the Data Skip feature, but then you would likely miss
        any of the dispatch calls if you listen to any significant number of
        channels, as that feature causes the scanner to resume scanning. And you
        would still hear part of the tones.

        Joe M.

        briandguth wrote:
        > In listening to my local fire department dispatch, I sometimes hear the alarms or high pitched frequencies before they announce a call.
        >
        > Is there any setting on the scanner that eliminates these sounds?
        >
        > Any an all assistance is appreciated.

      • briandguth
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 19, 2011
          MCH and Jeff,